Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can you turn WLAN off on the Nokia 500?

shauniow
Accepted Solution

Can you turn WLAN off on the Nokia 500?

I've just got a Nokia 500 to replace my X6 and its a great little phone, but I can't find a way to turn off WLAN to conserve the battery.  I set it up to connect to my home network, but everytime I disconnect it on the phone using the widgit on screen, it refreshes a few minutes later and reconnects - I've turned scanning off and set connection to manual but it made no difference.

Anything else I can do to increase the battery life?  things like bluetooth are all off, no animated themes or screensavers etc although I can't disable 3G as I'm on Three in the UK and they only use 3G.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JIC_E7

Re: Can you turn WLAN off on the Nokia 500?

Regarding the wireless lan, sometimes even when you disconnect it from the widget, it reconnects, this might be because an application is using it, usually email.  If you have set up an email account on the phone make sure you change the setting where it syncs, mine is set to scanning every 4 hours, so its not constantly on!

Also, when you said turn your 3g off, if you meant turning data off then thats another thing.  One of my Nokia's are on the 3 Uk network, but I can turn the 3g data off, which is normally always connected.  This just means that everytime you want to  surf the net, you have to select the access point you want to use. This is another way to save your battery.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Nokia E7-00
Click the white star if you think I helped you please
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
ajaydavidson

Have you set the homescreen widgets to offline mode? Check this in your homescreen tap options and then see whether there is an option like widget to offline mode? If yes then tap it this will turn your homescreen widgets to offline mode and the automatic connection to Wifi may be cleared. Read this link to increase the battery life /t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Maximize-battery-performance/m-p/431669#M125 .
Nokia C7
Please use plain text.
shauniow

Cheers, yes i did have email setup, set it now to daily as i rarely use it. I checked the packet data setting and it already says When needed so I'm, guessing thats right?
Please use plain text.
shauniow

Cheers, checked that, and the link is very handy.
Please use plain text.
Renata1

Hi, It is strange! I have the same problem, or quite similar. First, I could not in any way to disable(block), WiFi, still connected to my home network. Very nice, but I mean the saving of the battery and primarily aimed at controlling the WiFi connection. Even when you delete the software (Gmail, etc.) you can see it WiFi icon, which means that the system is armed and searches WiFi ...

1. Where is the turn off WiFi on the Nokia 500?
2. How do I set that in general the receiver turned off WiFi and did notconsume energy?
3.Where can I turn off the GPS receiver?
Greetings, Renata
Please use plain text.