Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Clarification of suitable Memory card for N80

Counsellor

Clarification of suitable Memory card for N80

Want to get a large memory card for my n80 but have no idea what this phone supports in terms of size and also note that there are problems with some makes so...

1. up to what size of card does the N80 support?

2. What makes are recommended?
Please use plain text.
Sage

I have a Kingston 1GB and it has worked fine with both my old v3 and new v4 software.
Nokia N80 - v4.0623.0.41
Please use plain text.
Professor
sysinit

Hi BorisThespie,

Nokia sales person told me that the largest supported by N80 is 2GB.

Am using a SanDisk miniSD 2GB for over 4 months now without glitch. I think I remembered that Robert is using a SanDisk Hyper II miniSD 2GB, also without glitch, which is a faster variant of normal miniSD (which is said to equate to lower battery power consumption).

Depending on your firmware, you may face different problems with different brands. E.g. its reported that N80 can't recognise Kingston after a soft reboot and you'll need to remove and reinsert it.

It would appear (mostly from info gathered from this forum) that the 623 firmware would allow you to have the least problem with miniSDs.

Hope this helps. Cheers. ^_^;
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks. Would be better for some bigger. Have the latest v4 software, I assume that's what you mean by 628 (or something). Anyway anyone recommend a dealer on ebay for these cards. Don't want to get a fake one.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi. Had my N80 just over a fortnight, and had the same battery problems that everyone else seems to be having. Turned off bluetooth (which used to run permanently on my 6680 with no issues) deactivated Internet(until I need it) and went to GSM only instead of dual mode. Why, you may ask do you want a cutting edge 3G phone when you disable all these features? I just like the phone and its features!! Anyway, battery life doubled instantly, so dead pleased about that. I bought a Kingston 1 gig card from ebuy*r.com - cost about 17 quid delivered next day and it has worked faultlessly so far.. Personally, I wouldnt buy a card from ebay (especially from eastern shores) as I bought a 2gb Sony memstick pro for my sons' W810 (UK supplier) and it came full of empty folders that proves that it is S/H but semi cleaned up.
Kev
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think for higher capacities than 2GB, the slot needs to be SDHC (high capacity SD) compatible.
Please use plain text.
Professor
sysinit

[ Edited ]

08-Sep-2006
07:14 PM
boristhespie wrote:
... Have the latest v4 software, I assume that's what you mean by 628 (or something). ...

Yap,

That's the 623 that I'm refering to.

I also forgot to mention that the Kingston problem I mentioned appears to be resolved in the 623 firmware which we have.

Cheers. ^_^

Message Edited by sysinit on 09-Sep-2006
01:19 AM

Please use plain text.
Sage
tao980

Good to know the 'Kingston problem' is resolved as my navigation software and maps are stored on a Kingston miniSD :smileyhappy: I have never had any problems with it but I must say I was worried reading about the problems some people reported.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ethelred

I have a Kingston 1Gb and have had no problems with it.
I have full End User experience of:
5510, 3210, 3310, 3510, 3510i, N80, N80IE, 7610, 2610, 1208 and current E90.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ethelred

08-Sep-2006
04:18 PM
keveljay wrote:
Hi. Had my N80 just over a fortnight, and had the same battery problems that everyone else seems to be having. Turned off bluetooth (which used to run permanently on my 6680 with no issues) deactivated Internet(until I need it) and went to GSM only instead of dual mode. Why, you may ask do you want a cutting edge 3G phone when you disable all these features? I just like the phone and its features!! Anyway, battery life doubled instantly, so dead pleased about that.

You don't leave your lights and TV on when you don't use them do you? Theres no point leaving Bluetooth on unless you are using it.

I've left the UTMS/GSM option switched on on my N80, and there doesn't seem to be much if any less battery life so far.
I have full End User experience of:
5510, 3210, 3310, 3510, 3510i, N80, N80IE, 7610, 2610, 1208 and current E90.
Please use plain text.