Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Continued Availability of Nokia 808

Counsellor
wkl12mr

Continued Availability of Nokia 808

Hello

I am in a bit of a bind at the moment because my 808 exhibits purple tint in the photos taken at high ISO. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there are no xxxxx5051xxxxxx serial nos. here and I was told to wait for the firmware fix which isn't confirmed to solve my problem. If I buy the phone online then there is no warranty for the phone as the phone's warranty is local only.The repaired phone has a IMEI that is lower the the original IMEI.

Customer Service say the phone is replaced at the Care Center's discretion. How long more will the 808 stay available?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

This has been already asked,the 808 will now have a limited life as its the last symbian device,i would see production stopping soon

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

Nokia has said that they are looking into my feedback. I hope that something can be done before the 808 is completely gone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Half the problem here is that posters do not say where they are.

The situation varies hugely, geographically.

In the UK for example the Nokia service shops won't touch the 808.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Who told you that?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Who told me what?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Presumably the nonsense about Nokia Care UK not touching the 808.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

I am from Singapore. Nokia Care Point officially only repairs, not replace, phones. If some reports on this forum is any indication, I will probably have to get a phone replacement with IMEI xxxxx5051xxxxxx since IMEI xxxxx5050xxxxxx all probably have the 3G/HSPA problem. I get intermittent reboots when using Maps and usually in buidling car parks. Plus I get the purple tint in photos.

There is another issue where the latest offline maps aren't working properly with Maps 3.09. I can find landmarks online that doesn't exist offline and vice versa.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

1) UK Nokia shops will not service the 808. I phoned up several. Also they have never heard of the HSPA issue and will not discuss looking for it on any internal Nokia database. Whether I think they are being dishonest, or just idiots who don't give a damn, who knows? It's all the same these days, in what passes for "customer service".

2) The IMEI which some time ago was posted here as a brand new phone which worked is

35196505006xxxx

Since a lot of the UK grey imports are from HK, I have got somebody in Hong Kong to do some checks. Interesting results... None of the phone shops sell the 808 but there are online outlets that do. Also Nokia itself sells it directly, for about HKD 5500 (roughly equivalent to the absolutely highest prices charged on amazon.co.uk for what is a grey import anyway). Some IMEIs were checked and all are well before the above one i.e. they are "old stock".

It almost looks like Nokia has tried hard to not sell the 808 via shops. Maybe they did a deal with the networks who agreed to take on their new WP phones, to not place the 808 in any retail facing outlet. That would not be suprising. So Nokia are instead pushing it via grey outlets, but at the same time in a way which voids any warranty.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

[ Edited ]

3 Hong Kong Nokia stores 3 said the 808 will be discontinued. 1 said they'll try to get it. 1 had a sample phone with an old IMEI, don't remember number. 1 store had an 808 with the IMEI 35196505229xxxx.  Is this old or new?

Also, none of the boxes in the HK stores had production dates.  They said this is normal.  But doesn't seem right to me?

How does 006 compare to 191?  Which is newer?

peterh338, what online stores carry it?

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Unless you have missed off a digit in the middle, the number

3519 6505 229 xxxx

is definitely later than

3519 6505 191 xxxx (sorry I quoted the wrong one above as "assumed working")

so that is really interesting! What store was it? I would buy that immediately (if black, and not an outrageous price like some on amazon.co.uk).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

[ Edited ]

The IMEI was given to me by a supplier.  Possible they made a mistake.  I don't know which store, I lost interest in that particlular phone when I heard it was a demo and the store doesn't know the production date.  According to the store HK boxes do not state the production date

Is there a way to look up the production date on the phone itself?  What online stores were you talking about earlier?

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

The production date doesn't matter, especially as Nokia has never said anything about fixing the fault.

One has to assume that - unless they have already stopped making the 808 in which case they will wash their hands of this issue - they will fix it, but obviously in these "internet" days it would be a stupid business move to openly state if and when they have fixed it, because nobody is going to buy the non-fixed stock.

I suspect they have fixed it, quietly, and we need to look for recent IMEIs for some level of assurance.

I don't know the names of any retailers in HK but presumably they are not hard to find - use google.

BTW is anybody else experiencing problems signing in? It no longer works in Firefox. I am having to use IE8 to post.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

No problems here. Using Firefox 18.02 to log in to this site.

I wish I could get a definitive answer from Nokia about this issue. They are suggesting that the replaced motherboard make the phone as good as new but the rebooting in Map mode continues.

Also, so far no sign of 1508 firmware.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

Nokia has agreed to replace my 808 which will take 3 weeks to arrive. However, the customer care rep. can't guarantee that I will get the IMEI of my choice which is a late 2012/early 2013 model. Hopefully, I can get a xxxxx5051xxxxxx IMEI.

I hope I can finally put this issue to rest. Is there a way to link IMEI nos. to production dates? There was a Nokia *#92702689# but it only showed a lifetimer number on my 808
Please use plain text.