Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Database program for E70

Counsellor

Database program for E70

I want to use some database info that is stored in MS Access in my E70. Is there a program for this smartphone that has a database functionality and that is able to convert from Access, Excell and (old) dBase files?
Owner Nokia 520 (experiment: serious problems connecting pop accounts).
History: Siemens S4, Sony Z1, Ericsson SH888, Siemens s40, Nokia 6230, Nokia E70. Nokia E71-1, E72-1, HTC Wildfire (good stuff), HTC One V (also nice).
(And sometimes I still miss my Psion Revo! ;-)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Your best bet is HanDBase, although it's currently still in testing for 3rd Edition.... you'll have to wait a while! :Cool:

Steve
Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
@Steve
Thanks. I think I will do that if they do not take too long. Some weeks maybe? ;-)

Because you seem an expert: do you know if the latest version of the Handy Day agenda/organizer program is available for the E70? It seems a lot better then the standard agenda on this Nokia. E.g a day view is missing now.
Also: the contact program is very poor. I does not copy the category option from outlook to the groups option it has, labels can't really be organised and the display is almost not adjustable ....

Message Edited by rusco on 10-Jul-2006
06:29 PM

History: Siemens S4, Sony Z1, Ericsson SH888, Siemens s40, Nokia 6230, Nokia E70. Nokia E71-1, E72-1, HTC Wildfire (good stuff), HTC One V (also nice).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
So I did it. A Series 60 3rd ed. of HanDBase was released a while ago and I bought it. Apart from a certificate that was not working after consulting the helpdesk it did install OK.

Then I tried to see if I could use one of the Access files from my PC. Turned out I had to buy an extra Data Sync program from DDH. An extra $20--.

Installed this, converted an Access file and uploaded it to my E70. When I tried to open the database on my phone the HanDBase program simpy terminates.

All in all a pretty annoying experience with something that is presented as a busniness phone. Added to the problems I have with the contacts program on the E70 I really am considering buying a cell phone with the Windows Mobile platform next time. I hate this, but Nokia is more busy with the hardware then with the sofware, something which is a big problem when you want to use these phones in a smart way.
I know the HanDBase problems are caused by the DDH product, but until there is no better dbase program I am handicaped using this Nokia phone.

Message Edited by rusco on 22-Nov-2006
06:09 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hmm... Access is a monstrosity, I'm not surprised the DDH routines are having trouble. I presume you've reported the problem?

HanDBase is working fine here, on databases saved fom the HanDBase Desktop....

Steve
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I did. And they said it didn't work with them neither. Told me they had forwarded it to their development dep. and I had to look out on the forum for updates. For me this was a bit too much, considering I consulted them all the way in the buying process and had to paid extra for a special Data Synchronise program for Access. So I asked to refund my payments. I mean: it says it is for the Series 60 3rd ed. platform, it took me a lot of time to find out it didn't work, and now they tell me to see for myself if and when they will fix it. With every question I had they responded within the hour. Pretty OK. Only after my refund question it remains very silent. Clearly something that has been launched to early. I think they should take the consequences.
Please use plain text.
Sage

I don't think Access compatibility is exactly a core requirement though - I mean 99% of HanDBase users won't be trying to do this..... Although it's fair enough that they should refund your money having admitted that their extra module doesn't do what it's supposed to....

Steve
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
Well, about this core requirement, I doubt that. If they put on their sitë: "HanDBase Data Exchange is an add-on for HanDBase that enables integration of information between HanDBase and Microsoft Access tables."
Must mean something.

www.ddhsoftware.com/description.html?II=HDEAC1&;UID=2006112304524782.134.230.239

(cannot get this link to work properly :-(

Seems simply like they launched something that was not tested thoroughly which costed me a lot of time to find out.
And then tell me I should find out for myself what happens next..... Wonder if anybody at DDH ever heared of a customer satisfaction program??

Message Edited by rusco on 23-Nov-2006
01:07 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage

No, I meant that 99% of HanDBase owners would never need the Access Data Exchange module.....

Not 99% of users of the Data Exchange module.... obviously :Cool:

Steve
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
I see. Maybe your right. But then again, if they develop a special sync program I guess they calculated that some HanDBase users want the Access option. Even a lot of 'some'.

We have a lot of address data (appr. 2000 items) that is stored in Access that I want to take with me to check on now and then. Even my normal company Outlook contact database I convert, because the contact program on the Nokia E70 is so poor: e.g. catgories and sort options.
You know, I used to have a Psion Revo. Ten years old, but - besides making a phone call - this still can do things a brandnew E70 can't. Really smart things.

Marius

Message Edited by rusco on 23-Nov-2006
02:51 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage

Yep. See also Shaun's posting on exactly this subject at http://www.palm247.com/ Steve
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Went there and posted something. He is absolutely right. It is simply something I don't understand. I mean: after SEVEN YEARS!! Who has been sleeping?
Please use plain text.