Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E7 Phone Memory questions

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

E7 Phone Memory questions

I recently connected my phone by USB to my laptop and was shocked when it said the phone memory was full.

How could that be?  I have only installed 2 or 3 applications and all were installed to Mass memory.  I have just change from an N97 so am ultra cautious on this!

The browse showed virtually nothing in all folders (obviously many files are hidden), so there was nothing I could delete.

I thought it was strange that the phone had not warned me of a full memory. Anway I immediatley deleted all the web history and cache and it showed 341MB free. (Surely the computer / USB / or Windows got the 'memory full' wrong, as I had not used the web that much!  Since then I have regularly deleted these but I have noticed something strange:

Today I again had 341 MB free so I syncrhonised my email, which effectly deleted everything (as it was all on the laptop) and the memory available when down (to 340.5MB).  I then deleted web history and cache and it went up (to 342.1 available).  This  brings we to my questions:

Why did synchronising the email use more memory?

Is there any where I can tell the phone to use the Mass memory for email? SMS? Web history etc?  You could do so on the N97 but I can't find it on the E7 - can anyone show me where?

Any thoughts on why Windows Explorer said the Phone memory was full?  The folder Properties "disk" was solid blue, along with the Full message. It could not have been right - or could it?

Allan

Nokia E7
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: E7 Phone Memory questions

It's a bug with windows I believe, which has issues reading the phone memory. The phone memory is not full. You can easily acces it with Ovi suite syncing stuff.

Unfortunately you cannot use the mass memory as message memory, but it shouldn't be an issue as there are plenty of space on the phone memory. Untill it is fixed you will have to copy everything to mass memory and then use the onboard filemanager to copy things over to the phone memory if you need to to so.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I am an N97 owner and now have the E7, don't worry about the phone memory, it has plenty. and the E7 has none of the issues of the N97. I've installed all my apps and themes on C and have my full emails set as default with a limit of 250, had no memory issues whatsoever. If you check file manager , or install something like device info, you can check the memory from thr phone. I think the reason you can't access it in Widows is to stop you messing with it :smileywink:

http://www.moubail.com/downloads/deviceinfo-widget/

Just enjoy your great new phone and don't worry :smileyhappy:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to both of you - very reassuring! It did frighten me for a moment until I saw the 341 available from the phone's file manager, so I thought there had to be something 'wrong' with the Windows view.

Why would the phone memory increase when I synchronised the email? Are they still stored somewhere although the mail appears empty? (There was something about that in Exchange Mail in a linked post above, but I could not quite follow it).

Also:  Do either of you have any thoughts on my Email question that was moved to the Messaging secton of the forum - I have had no replies on that one. /t5/Messaging-Email-and-Browsing/E7-Email-access-issue/td-p/1008681http://

Allan

Nokia E7
Please use plain text.