Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Express Music 5800 How Disappointing !!

Professor
Accepted Solution

Express Music 5800 How Disappointing !!

Due to many reasons , I thought I could have a real nice music experience using this phone , to my wonder , my old Nokia 6233 is much better in that !!! the sound coming out of it's speakers , or using the handset , is much better than the sound of XM 5800.

Can someone provide a rational reson for that? !!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes it is true

And i have been posting the same thing for more that a Week ..

But no replys...

I have compared its Audio Quality is a little better than N81 or N73  But the audio OUTPUT is real bad..

What i have done is that i have bought sony U-B-90 the intraCanal Ear phones and now the audio is pretty descent ..

i am Dissapointed by this phone...AND I feel that Nokia has missused the name XpressMusic for the sale of this phone......

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

have you upgraded to the latest firmware.

this has seemed to iron out quite a few of the bugs in the original.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,

I don't think so, 5800 is really good in music, just try to reset the equilizers in music player like bass booster or custom yours own , you wl really feel the difference.

Its headset quality is amazing, loud speakers are not that much loud but are very clear other than N-Series phones.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

u r mistaken there buddy i have my self checked it with N81 and N73 and N85

And the audio quality is bad as compare to theall these sets

Please use plain text.
Sage
poirot

The quality of sound depends on many factors.

-Ambient noise at the time of monitoring

-type of EQ being used (is it appropriate for the style of music being played)

-type of audio chip used in device

-encoding quality of music

and most importantly...

-how good the listeners ears are (been to many loud gigs? listen to earphones at too high a level? etc)

Basically what I'm saying that the quality of a handsets audio is often subjective.

If my post has helped you in anyway, please press the 'kudos' button.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Professor

latest software version is used
Please use plain text.
Professor

sameer_one wrote:

Hi,

I don't think so, 5800 is really good in music, just try to reset the equilizers in music player like bass booster or custom yours own , you wl really feel the difference.

Its headset quality is amazing, loud speakers are not that much loud but are very clear other than N-Series phones.

Try nokia 6233 and you will totally change your point of view about xm 5800 , I am 100% sure :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor

poirot wrote:

The quality of sound depends on many factors.

-Ambient noise at the time of monitoring

-type of EQ being used (is it appropriate for the style of music being played)

-type of audio chip used in device

-encoding quality of music

and most importantly...

-how good the listeners ears are (been to many loud gigs? listen to earphones at too high a level? etc)

Basically what I'm saying that the quality of a handsets audio is often subjective.

Being an audiophile myself , with long experience with  EQ. adjustments ,you can easily cancel all these factors.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't get it, do you want phone with music as add-on that is actually preatty good. If you need more get Boss Home Theater.

I am very ipressed with the 5800XM v20.2.014

Not one issue.

Please use plain text.
Professor

ivone wrote:

I don't get it, do you want phone with music as add-on that is actually preatty good. If you need more get Boss Home Theater.

I am very ipressed with the 5800XM v20.2.014

Not one issue.

What I wanted was a music with good quality that I can listen to while on the go ..

Thanks for the boss home theater idea !!! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
poirot

Being an audiophile myself , with long experience with  EQ

With all due respect, an audiophile would surely be using a dedicated high-end music/media player rather than a multi-tasking device?

If my post has helped you in anyway, please press the 'kudos' button.
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Professor

poirot wrote:

Being an audiophile myself , with long experience with  EQ

With all due respect, an audiophile would surely be using a dedicated high-end music/media player rather than a multi-tasking device?

Sure I have such a device , but do I keep it in my pocket all day long like I do with my phone ? !!!

I am sure you didn't try the sound of 6233 , it really competes with many sound dedicated devices , as a matter of fact , 6233 beats many of them which have the same of it's size.

One again , I am sure you didn't try , so you can't make the right comparison .....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arnavzz

@above

I have used 6233 for a long time...compared with 5800 its nowhere near in headsets...but in loudspeakers its louder than 5800

5800 is not loud enough....but if you compare other factors 5800 is much better...the simple fact that it has an 8 band equalizer with bass booster wins the argument....i think there might be some problem with your phone because 5800 actually matches up with an i-pod...its just not loud as compared to other phones or the ipod

And i have tested many music phones too my previous was 5610 and even that was better than 6233 on headsets...u must be missing something my friend!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arnavzz

Nd btw this issue is really upto choice of users...you can never find a solution because this is not a problem...if you want to win a debate then i think you should have an online poll
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stef0s

The Sound quality is really good from both speakers and headphones, but from speakers its not that loud. Maybe in the next firmware we see an improvement at loudness?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

There are many factors when comparing the audio quality:

1. The file format of the audio file.

2. The ambient settings during the test.

3. The Firmware installed.

I compared my 5800 to iphone, itouch and other music players like creative products using different headphones and also using the loud speaker, the 5800 is much crispier and the bass is clearer than the rest. The louspdeaker of 5800 is not that loud enough compared to other nokia phones but if you listen closely the bass and the sound quality is clearer it is more stereo sound.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

dont know i tested it with the other Xpress Music sets and all other are better than 5800..

i have done everything even the firmware the audio is real bad the speakers are fine bt the Earphones are real bad be in any Preset form

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arnavzz

You must be missing something...Edit the presets...turn on stereo widening and bass booster...5800 has excellent bass...it cannot be what you are sayin else there is problem somewhere in your phone or headset
Please use plain text.
Professor

arnavzz wrote:
You must be missing something...Edit the presets...turn on stereo widening and bass booster...5800 has excellent bass...it cannot be what you are sayin else there is problem somewhere in your phone or headset

Do the proper EQ. adjustment in both XM5800 and 6233, listen to the same file in both phones using the headphones supplied originally.

Using 3 different phones of 6233 , and same for Xm 5800 , and listening to 3 different mp3 files , the result was:

The sound of 6233 is better ,as stated by me and 4 of my friends.

I am sure you did not make side by side comparison , and feel like defending a phone you bought recently , and using currently.

Please use plain text.