Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Gps on N8??

Professor
babis3g
Accepted Solution

Gps on N8??

hi

my pld 5800 had build in a gps where was need to connect at wifi ,wlan or gprs/3g to see ovi maps

only google maps if i was using was asking me for connection

i dont see this gps application on my N8 apart only ovi maps which if i connect it always connecting to gprs so it charging me

is any gps along application:confused:maybe my phone direct from uk store was any master reset?) and if is not gps then how can i navigate free>?????

my settings are 

switch to wlan: manual

data use at home : always ask

when roaming wlan only

or is bug here again?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I don't know about the n8, but for other phones like your 5800 you can cut all connections and upload maps to your mass memory. - Then the map application will use the onloaded maps and everything will be free as long as you've disabled a-gps too (which almost costs nothing to use).

You can watch the tutorial video here: http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-ovi-suite/howto/get-new-maps-for-your-device

I'm not 100% sure if your n8 supports it as it is new, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

At least this is a place to start from:-)
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

Set your internet connection within maps to offline if that's a option within maps->settings.

Hopefully someone with an N8 will drop by and confirm wether the n8 supports this or not. Unless you want to try it yourself meanwhile. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

From a quick look at the specsheet it says that N8 supports both ovi suite and maps, so to me it looks like it should work just fine. - Then your navigation should be totally free.
Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

thanks for your reply

i guess should be preloaded free from the factory

i have checked the settings

in the maps option it only gives

internet settings in ovi map:

connection: off line and

network destination: internet wap  multimedia which i have choose internet

at destinations

switch to wlan : manual

data use in home always ask (which is not asking nothing when i open web or wlan)

when roaming : wlan only

i will give a try to download manually the maps and the mean time i wil wait an other n8 user to let me know if there is bouild in gps like in 5800 where no maps was needed atol

thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Your n8 has a gps chip. An you can use maps without preloading the maps, but then you will have to download as you go - which will cost money. To navigate free you will have to set connection to offline and turn off agps and install the maps u need from ovi suite.Or are you thinking about the location app which the 5800 had? in that case I cannot answer you regarding the n8.

Use ovi suite to install the prefered maps for free.
Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

thanks again

i will go now to download maps

where can i turn off agps? on n8? i dont see this option

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

i have download the maps but still connecting via gprs

i guess is not free servise like nokia says or my phone has got problem

Please use plain text.
Contributor
priyesh4u2003

it is free service..i m using n8 n i dnt have problem at all..it does not connect to gprs.. turn off agprs..its in menu-> setting->application setting->positioning...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

In positioning-->Positioning methods

Keep only Integrated GPS selected..

Maps menu-->Spanner Icon-->Internet-->Connection-->OFFLINE

Maps menu-->Spanner Icon-->Synchonisation-->Manual

And there should not be any charge for GPS Navigation...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

thanks all for your help
i got it working now
can close thread
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
docammu

yes the gps data or location application is not there in my n8. but it was there in my earlier n82 and n95

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Try LeGPSData application..

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

yes i have thanks
by now is out trimble outdoors light which is exactly like the one at 5800 but has got problem instillation from ovi
thanks again
Please use plain text.