Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to hard reset Nokia 5800 Xpress Music?

How to hard reset Nokia 5800 Xpress Music?

Dear Users

Can anyone please suggest me how to hard reset Nokia 5800Xpress Music. I have tried to hard resent by following the common formula Simultenously pressing and holding the Green+Red+Camera+Power Button but it did not work. My firmware version is 21.0.025. Can anyone suggest me what can I do to hard reset my phone?

Mamun

Please use plain text.

Re: How to hard reset Nokia 5800 Xpress Music?

May I ask why a hard reset is required? Also are you using that key combination while the phone is off?? Cause if its on, then it wont work.

Also try the soft reset and see if that solves whatever issues it is you have. Using the dialing keypad type in *#7370# and then inter your lock code (default is 12345).

Please use plain text.

What does a hard reset do?  My wife just got a 5800, yesterday, and I updated the firmware, tonight.  Now, there is no accessible keypad, which means she can't dial any number that isn't in her contacts, not even 911.  I tried reinstalling the firmware, but there was no change, there is still no keypad.  When we hit the keypad icon on the screen, the phone gives the familiar vibration (as it does when something is selected on the screen), but it doesn't do anything.  Also, the 4 quick dial numbers at the top are missing.  Actually, I had only added one--mine, with my picture--but now it's blank and the "add" feature for the quick dial buttons is also missing.  They basically don't work, anymore.  Everything else on the phone seems to work fine. 

Do you think a hard reset will fix my problem?  Is the original version of the firmware still in there, somewhere?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

try option number three read carefully.  

1. *#7780# - Restore factory settings - resets all the settings to the default ( you will not lose any data)
Make sure you back up your data as you will lose all of it when you perform option 2 or 3 on this list. The default code for all operations listed here is 12345

2. *#7370# - Reformat your phone

3. This you perform as a last resort. Nothing else is working.If the phone is not showing any activity, proceed with hard formatting , turn off your phone, hold the following buttons while pressing the power button. (the default code is 12345)
hard reset - hold the following buttons *, 3 (number button) and talk/green key. turn on the phone and do not release those buttons until you see the Nokia boot up screen. once you feel the phone power up you can let go off the power button while still holding all three buttons ( for Nokia 5800XM - use the following buttons to do a hard reset, GREEN/RED/CAMERA keys pressed all at once on power up. this will only work on 5800's that have firmware version 20... and up. )

If these codes are not working the only thing for you to do is contact your Nokia Care Center/Service for assistance.

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

How do you press the '*' and '3' buttons on a 5800 XpressMusic (touch screen phone) that's switched off? :smileyvery-happy:

I think you'll find that template of mine that inspired your post is a bit out of date...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
hittingray

[ Edited ]

grschinon wrote:
How do you press the '*' and '3' buttons on a 5800 XpressMusic (touch screen phone) that's switched off? :smileyvery-happy:

I think you'll find that template of mine that inspired your post is a bit out of date...

Good point!! And I wonder HOW you reset a 5800 as well and I think that a hard reset might work but it might not as well as it could be a bug in the latest firmware, and if it is, don't worry, there should be a firmware update soon as this is one of the most important features in a phone, what's the point of a phone, when you can't dial people!!

-------------------------------------------

Edit: http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/nokia-5800/24034-hard-reset-5800-a.html

How to do a hard reset, as you tried above, make sure to hold them down firm until you get shaking hands/ the phone vibrates.

Message Edited by hittingray on 09-Jul-2009 11:06 PM
N97 Mini- RM 555- v11.0.045
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

if you read more carefully you would see i suggested only option three for 5800xm which does apply to a 5800 no????????
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

My bad, sorry! You're absolutely right. I didn't read all the way down.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

no worries, it's all good. i just thought i was going crazy :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I keep getting the "Phone start-up failed. Contact the retailer." error whenever I start my phone - is a hard reset the only answer?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

yes i am afraid it is, prior to taking it to nokia care. either way you will lose all data on your phone as nokia care will flash your device but will not preserve the data. so you might as well just try and see if it works for you at home before you take a trip. 
Please use plain text.

Wow..thanx a lot mate the 2nd option wrked 4 me.........Well ma 5800 xpress music wasnt respoding to the touch inputs on home screen dial icon, contacts and the green dial botton....but now its back to best!!!!! \m/
Please use plain text.

i bought a nokia 5530 around 2 months ago and it had the same problem as mine. the telephone and contacts were not working. but if you dial *#7370#, this problem will be solved.

WARNING- Make sure you back up all your phones data by going to menu, applications, file manager and then back up. select backup contents to all and then go to options and back up now. then, you can dial *#7370#.

ps- dont blame me if anything goes wrong with the phone (although it is VVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRYYYYYY unlikely).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Monk

You mentioned above:

"hard reset - hold the following buttons *, 3 (number button) and talk/green key. turn on the phone and do not release those buttons until you see the Nokia boot up screen."

Well the (*) and the (3) keys will not exist as the keypad is invisible when the phone is off.

So how do you hold these keys before turning on the phone.

Can you please re-explain that section? I have a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic that needs a Hard Reset

Thanks

Joe
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
V 40.2.005.236.04
Type: RM-428
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

@ Monk - To hard reset your 5800 do this: Press call-end-camera button while powering ON the device. Keep holding the button combination untill you get asked for pincode, or you get to choose language. Now, you have performed a hard reset, and all your data on the phonememory are lost. (Therefor, if possible, BACK UP your contacts, messages (not settings), with Nokia PC suite first).

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
vega18

I was instaling ovi update and the phone just died. There is nothing on the screen, I tried green red and camera and it didn't work. When I hold the power button it starts to vibrate and it doesn't stop until I remove the battery. It's time to visit the service :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mouadm

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dozy_alen

Help me please

I decided to rest my phone (music xpress 5800)

then i tried *#7370#  and it asked me for the lock code i know its 12345 but the 1 is not working at all

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

in this case try the hard reset few posts up for 5800. with the phone turned off, you will lose all data so i hope you have a back and and also remove any memory card if you have one, but it might get your phone back on track. if that does not work it might have something to do with the screen sensitivity and that would warrant a trip to nokia care
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
muvuca

What does it do?

Hello Guys

I need to format the phone memory of my 5800xm, but I don't know how?

My phone has been sent to my insurance company twice - obviously they've done the" restore to factory settings", and now I can't use the phone memory for anything as it keeps saying phone memory full, but apparently there is nothing in it. I've checked the memory through the menu-options-memory details-phone memory and it shows 1MB of available memory. But there is no songs, no  pictures, no videos, no apps, nothing. But it says that all the memory is being used by OTHER FILES.

How can I delete these "other files"? Will a soft or hard reset solve the problem?

Any help, please!!!

Regards

Please use plain text.