Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to install Nokia Belle on N8

Counsellor
Apodida

How to install Nokia Belle on N8

Received my N8 about 3 hours ago. Installed Nokia Suite 3.3.86 and was told an upgrade to Nokia Belle was available. I reached to point where it said that the phone would restart and the screen would go blank. It did.

Then it tells me that the connection to the phone was lost. Is this normal? If I follow the instructions (unplug USB cable, press power button for 10 seconds, plug USB cable in, wait for install to restart then sometime the phone turns off, and sometimes it comes back on, but the installation does not continue.

I've been doing this for about two hours now. What should I try next, or should I just forget about Nokia Belle? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: How to install Nokia Belle on N8

@Apodida

Not clear from your post whether you are left with a black screen or device still boots.

You might like to look at this Nokia resource:http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-faq

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

It wasn't clear to me what is happenning; I'm utterly new to this phone, so don't really understand anything that it does. Sometimes, after the screen has gone blank, I eventually get the "stripey bar" at the top right of the display, and sometimes it just sits there as if it were turned off.
I'll take notes of the exact sequence next time I try it, but it's not always the same sequence.
One possible source of the problem: After installing Nokia Suite, and plugging the phone into USB, I went through a sequence of about 10 "New Hardware Detected" installs (the standard XP dialogs) and not all of these worked. During the attempted update to Belle, I sometimes get another one of these, which always fails.
This is the third "Smartphone" that I've tried in as many months; they've all ended in disaster, as I seem to be death to smartphone software.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@Apodida

Unfortunately the only satisfactory remedy maybe to visit Nokia Care Point where using different software from Nokia Suite or Nokia Software Updater device can be re-furbished by installation of 1.3GB of files to both C:\ and E:\ so returning it to "Out of box" state.

Sorry for your smartphone woes but have not had connectivity issues with either N8 or E7 upon Windows Xp SP3 netbook.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

During Software updated you're supposed to ignore ALL connection lost notifications from Windows. Nokia Suite even tells you to do just that.

Just let the update finish. Nokia Suite will tell you when it's done. My update took something between 15 and 20 minute. Just charge the phone while you update, a low battery is actually the only reason you should lose the connection (if all goes well)
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
x_Jade_x

NOKIA N8 BELLE UPDATE???

I have a nokia n8 and I'm still waiting for the update to 'Belle' I keep checking on the availability but its just taking for everrrr!

Is their a actually date when I can update it?

059C9F6 is my product code.

^_^
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

Well. patience isn't my forte, but I'll give it a go. I's currently 13:36 on the 21st of Feb, 2012 (just in case it's really slow) and the phone has just gone blank. My XP is warning me of USB devices coming and going...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

At 13:39 it rebooted, and asked me to sign into ovi Nokia account. This always fails, so I ignored that,
Then I get a popup "System Error" with the only reply being "OK". It *isn't* OK, but I have no choice...
So, at 13:41 the phone has rebooted into normal mode. Nokie Suite tells me "Connection Lost" and gives some instructions. I'll follow those...
Disconnect USB... done
Press "Power" for 10 seconds... done
Reconnect USB ... done
Wait for installation... lots of USB warning sounds...Just the battery level showing... Blank screen now... 13:51, there's been no sign of activity for 10 minutes, the phone looks completely off... 14:04, no sign of activity for 23 minutes. I'm going for the record!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

So, having exhausted my patience (I've waited 33 minutes for the update to complete), I'll try:
"Unfortunately the only satisfactory remedy maybe to visit Nokia Care Point where using different software from Nokia Suite or Nokia Software Updater device can be re-furbished by installation of 1.3GB of files to both C:\ and E:\ so returning it to "Out of box" state."
Given my utter lack of experience (I've owned this N8 for 19 miserable hours) where do I find "Nokia Care Point"?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Apodida wrote:
 where do I find "Nokia Care Point"?

Which country are you in?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

I'm in the UK, but this is now probably irrelevant. I've decided to abandon the N8, and get something else. The N8 gets the record for the fastest purchase to discard of any technology I've ever purchased. Less than 24 hours before I'm longing for something different. Even the discarded 6820 in my drawer is looking good.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
g_code

33 minutes and you patience is out?
I beleive the update takes around 3 hours.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
g_code

I am about to start my update which has just become available in South Africa.
I will post my results in a couple hours
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I wouldn't give up on the N8 just yet as Anna will allow you to use the phone as it was intended. Honestly, the Belle update has brought nothing but misery to some people and they're begging Nokia to allow them to roll back to Anna.  

If you do decide to install Belle at a later date then fair enough. But from what you've described you seem to have some USB issues which is probably the main cause of your updating woes. Try a complete removal of Nokia suite and download a fresh copy from http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-ovi-suite/compatibility-and-download.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

Ray, I was already doing what you suggested; a complete removal of everything Nokia on my system followed by a re-install of Nokia Suite.

When it asked me to plug in my phone, I went through a few driver installations, which all worked.

Then the phone connected, and after seting up synchronisation, Nokia Suite started the install of Belle.

As documented, the phone went blank (probably rebooting, who knows?),

Then, I got an additional Driver Installation, for "Nokia USB ROM" and this one failed to find the "necessary software".

I suspect this is the root of my problem, but I also suspect it is more likely a Nokia Suite 3.3.86 problem, not loading the "necessary software" where the driver installation might find it.

I have no idea how to get around this. Maybe a simpler question is: Can I persuade Nokia Suite to stup bugging me to install Belle?" 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

According to the official Belle FAQ's the update process is supposed to take between 30 and 60 minutes. Anyway, if I were you I would give it one last try and if unsuccessful just give up and stick with Anna. Also, according to the FAQ's you may be asked for a fee if you take it to a care point to get it updated.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

33 minutes and you patience is out?
> I beleive the update takes around 3 hours.

This update process informed me that the actual installation would take up to 20 minutes.

I think the 3 hours quoted is for the scenario when you try to install Belle, but it hasn't yet been downloaded. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

rayhipkiss wrote:

... I would give it one last try and if unsuccessful just give up and stick with Anna. Also, according to the FAQ's you may be asked for a fee if you take it to a care point to get it updated.

I eradicated all Nokia S/W and drivers on my PC and started over. Same problem. 

I contacted a Care Point (UK) outfit, and they said the fix would be covered by warranty, but I'm not going to bother now,

I see lots of other people getting the same Error code: 12052  as I did, with all sorts of phones.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Do you have an option to return the phone for a refund or replacement for another phone? It's not a very pleasant experience being stuck with a phone you don't like.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Apodida

rayhipkiss wrote:

Do you have an option to return the phone for a refund or replacement for another phone? It's not a very pleasant experience being stuck with a phone you don't like.

I'm pretty sure I'll like the N8 once I get used to it; it was the sheer frustration of not being able to apply the software update that has affected me.

There are two classes of faults that put me off "gadgets", or software:

1. The lack of a feature that I would like
  2. The presence of a behaviour that I dislike

The effect of the second ones far outweight the effect of the first ones, so I tend to discard things that irritate me far more than things that merely dissapoint me.

Please use plain text.