Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: How to set up basic POP email on N8

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

How to set up basic POP email on N8

I've been reading up on all the email discussions about the N8, and it seems like some things work fine, while others need more development.

In my case, I would like to set up email using a basic POP email account setup.  I have no need for "push" email right now - as I see it, receiving an email every half hour or so on my phone is an improvement over waiting until I get to my PC.

Ideally, I would like to leave the messages on my email server, so they will later on be downloaded to my PC.

I've noticed the following in one of the email discussions here:

"Cant believe no one else has responded with this before given the time this thread spans. I had this problem until I deleted and re-created my email (POP) accounts and then NOT accept the TOS at the end of the setup process. If you say YES and accept the terms, then your email accts get setup thru the Nokia messaging service and sent emails may get saved somewhere, but certainly not on the phone. You do not have to say yes to the TOS, just decline and finish setting up the email account."

Since I'm perfectly happy with the way email works on my laptop, using my existing servers, I think I should decline the TOS as described above.

I've found lots of guides on how to set up email on the N8.  Can anyone here recommend one for how to do (only) what I need, in order to manually set up POP email on a N8, using the identical server information and settings that I now have on my laptop?  Or, if this doesn't exist, can someone post the necessary steps here?

Thanks!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

It all works pretty straight forward for me -

Email Icon>Start>Other. Select "Other" even if you are using an account from one of the listed service providers.

In the boxes that come up enter your email address and password for the account and accept.

If you typed those in ok it will then just go to a screen for you to enter all the normal stuff such as Incoming/Outgoing mail security, port numbers, etc.

Along the way it sometimes says something about not being able to connect to "the server" but as long as you have typed the correct account name, user name and password in for that account it seems to skip by and take you to the next step.

Then from Menu in Mail go to Settings and select the account which should now be there and then Settings again. All straight forward except if you want the mail to stay on the remote server after you have read it on the phone then in "Mail read status" select "Don't sync to server" otherwise it will delete it off the server (as I found out to my surprise the first one I set up :smileysurprised:).

That's it.

I think all the stuff one sees about the TOC etc just apply if you are using the Nokia servers. I found if I just followed my nose through as above it worked for all the accounts I have set it up for.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I shut down and re-started the phone.
It told me updates are available - I clicked <cancel>
SPB Mobile Shell Started
I click on "Launcher".
I click on the button to bring up one of the main menus.
I click on "Messsaging"
I click on "E-Mail"
It says "No mailbox defined.  Define now?"
I click on "Yes".
I get the page about using a mail server, etc...
I click on "Start".
I get asked if I want to connect to internet - I click "connect this time".
I see "Preparing for setup".
I click on "Other".
I enter my email address and password
I click "OK"
It says "Validating Mail Account".
I click on POP/IMAP
I enter incoming and outgoing mail server names.
It says incoming port is 995 and outgoing port is "465"???
Incoming mail security is set at "SSL/TLS"
Outgoing mail security is set at "SSL/TLS"
I click OK
I DECLINE the "TOS" stuff.
It tells me my Active home screen is full, and MAIL should be added to home screen.
It wants to connect to the internet - again, "Connect this time".
It asks about "Certificate access".  I tell it to connect anyway.
Again it tells me "Active home screen is full.  Mail application should be added to home screen manually".
I click "OK".

It looks like I may have connected properly to my email server; not sure yet.

I click at the bottom on "Options".
I click on "Settings"
I click on "Message display"

I see three choices, "Message Sorting", Download images, and Warn before deleting.

So far, so good, but I don't see how to do that last step:
"if you want the mail to stay on the remote server after you have read it on the phone then in "Mail read status" select "Don't sync to server"  "

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I tried sending email from the N8.  Worked fine.

I tried sending email to my N8, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I wish there were a "test" button that would veriffy all the email settings are correct, as is found in Microsoft Outlook.  More later - have to rush off. 

Thanks for the help - it made everything far easier!

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

...So far, so good, but I don't see how to do that last step:
"if you want the mail to stay on the remote server after you have read it on the phone then in "Mail read status" select "Don't sync to server"  "

For this open the Mail icon (I think the default location for it is under Menu>Applications if it has not been not moved elsewhere) and select "Settings" then select the account followed by selecting "Account settings".

The Mail read status is the seventh item down.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

The " Don't sync to server " option isn't there anymore, when setting up email accounts using the method described here. That is, if you decline the TOS, you get a whole set of different settings and options to play with. But don't worry, a copy of your mail is left on the server for you to access from your PC/laptop.

Also, by default message retrieval is set to manual sync only by default, so if you want the N8 to auto sync goto settings, select the mailbox you want to configure, tap Sync frequency and set Sync frequency to what ever is best for you.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

rayhipkiss wrote:

The " Don't sync to server " option isn't there anymore, when setting up email accounts using the method described here.

It is certainly there on my N8 and appears in the settings for all of my email accounts. That was so both prior to and now after the current PR1.1 OS update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

cataholic wrote:

rayhipkiss wrote:

The " Don't sync to server " option isn't there anymore, when setting up email accounts using the method described here.

It is certainly there on my N8 and appears in the settings for all of my email accounts. That was so both prior to and now after the current PR1.1 OS update.

Did you accept or decline the Terms of Service?

I, when setting up my email chose to decline and now the settings available to me are thus:-

Mailbox settings ( which don't include the Don't sync to server option ).

Sync content ( which gives Retrieve options and number of mails to retrieve ).

Sync frequency ( to set up how often mail is syncronised and whether automatically or manually).

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

rayhipkiss wrote:

Did you accept or decline the Terms of Service? ...

I don't recall any as it is a while since I set them up. Am not sure why would there be terms of service to agree to when not using Nokia's servers when POP/SMTP from ones existing email service providers, so if any came up I would have declined them.

Maybe it is a Product code difference?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

When I first setup email I accepted the ToS and had the settings you have now.
I then deleted my mailboxes and re-set them up, but this time I declined the ToS and got totally different settings and options for configuring mailboxes.
I've no idea why that is, or why it should be different to your settings.

All the best.
Ray
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

OK, I have just set up another POP account direct to my ISP's email servers as a test and at no stage did it ask for any acceptance of or present any terms and conditions.

It has also given me all the same setting choices again when I go back into the account setup as I described before e.g. the "Don't sync to server" one. Went through the setup with entering the POP and SMTP server names ports which I entered and on acceptance of those it went straight to the client interface for me to get mail, let me send, etc.

I am wondering if it depends on what choice you make at the start of the setup - whether one selects one out of the list offered i.e. in my case it offers Ovi Mail, Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, etc, etc and then Other. I have always used the "Other" choice which takes me to the same sort of setup (but a simpler single page) as one gets with MSOutlook, for example.

If you check one of the others it may be that Nokia is involved in some way in the mail serving, and so the TOC come up? But really I have no idea why the difference in our experiences.

Interesting, thanks for your feedback.

John

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

I have had a little play with this but will just outline what I found seems to happen because I did not thoroughly test it. Others experiences may be different.

If setting up a new account and one selects one of the listed email service providers and not "Other" then it sets up an IMAP account and gives the choices that Rayhipkiss describes together with the terms and conditions acceptance request. This can be seen after the setting up by looking in the settings for the server (which often, maybe always?, is a nokia.supl.imap one). If one deletes the server and server ports and replaces them with the same email service provider's pop and smtp servers and ports then the same setup choices that Ray mentions still remain. Once the account is set up you can always go back and change the server and port entries in the N8 setup for that account (see below for a difference).

However, even though one has set the pop ports it still seems to do an imap connection - this can be tested by setting up a Gmail account where one can turn off and on allowing imap server connections in the settings on ones Gmail account's setting on the webmail site. One finds that disallowing imap connections but allowing pop connections blocks the N8 even if one has entered the pop servers and ports on the N8.

Now, if when setting up the account on the N8 one selects "Other" it normally (see below) gets one to enter the address and pass for the account and then goes straight to allowing you to enter the servers and ports. Now if one enters these and it then takes one straight to the client for you to collect and send email. But now if you go back into settings for that account one gets the setting choices that I outlined i.e. the one that includes "Don't sync to server". If set up as a pop account it seems to behave as a pop account - for example, if one turns on the imap servers at the Gmail denying pop connections then if one tries to collect mail Gmail comes back with a certificate error (the certificate is for imap not pop). Unlike the settings menu giving the other settings Ray outlines this settings menu does not allow one to nominate a reply to address different to the address sent from and nor does it allow one to go back and change the server and ports. To change the server and ports as far as I can see if set up this way one has to reset up the account from the start.

OK, even stranger, then what I found is if I set up an account using the offered service providers, not using the "Other" choice then deleted that account and then reset up the same account using the "Other" choice it then behaved as Ray outlines including the terms and conditions acceptance request and also behaves as an imap account even if one enters the pop servers and ports. So the "Other" account setup choice seems to behave differently according to whether one has previously setup that account using one of the non "Other" service provider choices or not?????

I don't know if anyone wants to experiment further and discover more or clarify the behaviours. I just did some quick playing around so did not analyse it much, however the above is the general gist of what I found. It is sometime since I set up email accounts on my E52 but from memory it behaved much the same way as the N8 does and is generally weak on handling pop accounts - in fact I would suggest that many who think they are using pop servers will find that behind the scenes it is really using imap ones.

A real downer for me is for a pop account there seems to be no way to set up a reply to address in the sent emails that is different to the address sent from. This need for me being due to the way I manage emails across several machines.

I'm off to have a beer :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
enfogar

When you set up mailbox and decline "Terms of  service" you get all available options (POP/IMAP server/port etc.)  to configure mail account even if you choose "Gmail", "Yahoo" etc.

Of course you can't choose option "get e-mail soonest" because POP3&IMAP4 is not push protocols.

Minimal time between sinc's will be 5 minutes.

If you use POP3 then you could not see folders on your mail server because POP3 isn't support them, only IMAP support folders on server.

If you want to change your mailbox from IMAP/POP to PUSH e-mail or vice versa you will need to delete old mailbox and create new with Accept or Decline "Terms of Service".

Please use plain text.