Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Just a quick review on the all new Nokia Belle...

Counsellor
InsanityN8

Just a quick review on the all new Nokia Belle update

Finally the Belle update is on my hands and i have to say it is amazing. Even the new ringtones are relaxing! My N8 now is faster and more stable. And the slide from the top to enable the bluetooth and the wi-fi is really good. Even the video is faster and in the dark is better. I have to say i am impressed. Well done Nokia :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
UncleDekka

Re: Just a quick review on the all new Nokia Belle update

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones.

Thanks to Belle "update" I can no longer see my maps (despite downloading and re-downloading again) and also the ability to upload photo straight from gallery to Facebook has gone also.

Another Nokia balls-up.

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
salah_ga

you are totally right!!
AND,, where is the RSS feeds widget? calender widget.
Battery icon is not click-able so i can switch to battery save mode.. lot of things are missing... I'll consider downgrading to Anna again...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
abjbhat

I have an E6 and an N8. Updated both to Belle.

The N8 is now much slower. Running more than a couple of apps slows the phone down *significantly*. Maybe that's why the newer phones which shipped with Belle pre-installed have a 1GHz processor and more RAM(?)

Additionally, the N8 (unlike the E6 Belle) lacks widgets for toggling 3G, Silent mode, Bluetooth, Wifi. Yes, I know some of these can be accessed through the menu on top, but that is much more limited functionality.
Present: Lumia-820
Past: E6, L-800, N8, N900, 5800 XM, 6500 Slider, 6303c
Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

My experience so far: - Applications are gone. Must downlaod/buy again. Some gone from store :-( - Setup is gone. WLAN points, profiles, blutooth units, sounds, themes) - HUGE and UGLY widgets that show less info/functionallty that in Anna. Only one appointments shown in the calender widget. Hello???? E-mail widgets that 3 time the space (and have terrible colors). Clock widget larger, but does not have profile/calender shortcuts anymore. - Browser wastes all the spece saved in Anna (and more). Status bar at top. Button bar at bottom. Larger URL-bar (larger fonts everywhere actually). I would give almost anything right now for a easy way to go back to Anna
--
Lars-Erik Østerud - http://www.osterud.name/nokia.html
Please use plain text.
Advisor
py2sl

I'm afraid I must echo pretty much all of what LarsErik says.

Also, add on top of that RSS feed widgets no longer appear available.

Does anyone know if you leave the wi-fi switched on does it constantly scan for available wi-fi? You used to be able to set it so that it only looks for wi-fi when you need it, but that setting seems gone also.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

From the shorter battery time I'm thinking that the WLAN is always on :-(
--
Lars-Erik Østerud - http://www.osterud.name/nokia.html
Please use plain text.
Advisor
treseq

Why can't you all be satisfied?

According to me, Nokia (Symbian) Belle is a great improvement over Symbian Anna. Nokia Belle has made my Nokia C7 run faster and smoother. HD games like NFS Shift HD which used to take lot of time to load now load within some seconds. What more do you all want? Great widgets 100% better than Anna. Great UI. As far as widgets are concerned, I think more widgets are likely to come out soon. Apps that were deleted can be downloaded using Nokia Store web on a PC and select Anna version of phone in the phone selector and then download apps using Nokia Suite or Nokia Drop(needs Chrome or Firefox with Nokia drop add-on can be downloaded from: http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-drop). All the apps which are not available in Nokia Store (phone) after Belle can be downloaded or re-installed back in this way.

I really liked Nokia Belle. Thank you Nokia.

Please use plain text.
ukmartian

I just updated to Belle yesterday...As things stood my phone was due to replaced today due to excessive battery drain so i took the opportunity to see what the Belle was like......to be honest i think the Benefits are  very restricted ...I lost the Battery touch function ect...the widgets were somewhat big and ugly ir music player my favourite ringtones etc vanished the options button is also gone...now i have got my replacement phone i think i will stay with Anna ..at least till Nokia listen and sort out things .....If it aint broke dont fix it

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dragonborn

I can't believe there are so many complaints on Belle here :smileysurprised:

Nokia Belle is an ENORMOUS improvement for Symbian.

Everything works smoothly and the UI is beautiful.

After showing Belle to some of my friends who use iOS or Android they were very impressed and now consider Symbian to be an equal to Android and better then iOS.

Widgets like scrollable RSS feed for CNN, BBC and Reuters, 3G/2G on/off switch, weather widgets, compact Music player widgets, bigger Calendar widget, Big analog clock, Mechanical clock, Mobile data tracker widget, etc, etc. will all come in a later update.

If you don't want to wait you call download and install them seperately NOW, just google it.

THANK YOU NOKIA (no thanks to your CEO).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
javid

It is very sad, that the options component is missing in each and every part of belle. The background apps can be brought by the options thing. But now we are forced to long press the menu  key to invoke that function.

Why Nokia WHY ???

In simple terms this has been copied from Windows Phone.. I hate long pressing the button to bring those apps to the foreground.

Secondly apps like SYGIC MOBILE MAPS fail to run in BELLE. The only advantage i find is the MSDICT based dictionaries are working fine now . Previously user has to exit the application each and every time after looking for a definition. Now this issue is solved. But still audio is not working for cambridge advanced dictionary...

The phone memory now has only 100MB of storage. Dont know what will happen if i install all the apps which i installed in ANNA...

NOKIA please bring a solution for the menu button long press to invoke background apps...

We require an update asap....

Please use plain text.
ukmartian

If Nokia are aware of these missing or or changed widgets being a problem why did they not issue them with Belle ...Its OK to wait for a later update ...it just makes it sound that they 'rushed' things ....I for one will not be changing my OS until i know it is right ...unless they put a option in to revert back to Anna....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tiek

I agree....I will wait for comments to improve. Seems to me that for now is much better to keep Anna! I am very happy with it on my N8
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dodgevipergts

mine won't let me have 75% of my album art about 90% of my tracks had album art when i had anna now only about 25% do and they won't come back nomatter what i do

Please use plain text.
Advisor
javid

recently i noticed even free apps like opera cannot be sent via bluetooth. It says protected content. Not even mp3s. **bleep** !!!.
We have to use xplore or 3rd party apps to do this..

Again nokia, do you hate your customers ?
Please use plain text.
Joi_C

[ Edited ]

I have been looking forward to Belle for months, but now I have upgraded I want Anna back. :smileysad:

• The homescreen widgets are big and ugly! I used to have 2 homescreens, but with the big widgets I will need more. Furthermore there is nothing you can configure. The profile widget for instance is an ugly grey and I cannot change it.
  • I miss the profile/date/time widget of Anna. It looked nice and allowed me to easily access my calendar and clock- and profile settings. The big digital clock in Belle is too big, useless and ugly.
  • I can no longer access 'Open applications' via the software menu. I now only have the option to long press the menu button. I hate that! I am afraid it will wear out that button and the lower part of the phone faster. I have seen reports of people where the bottum part of the phone fell out. I do not want that to happen to my cherished N8.
  • I can no longer access the connectivity menu via the homescreen. I need to go to menu/settings/connectivity.
  • I can no longer click on the battery to enable battery saving. I know clicking on the hardware powerbutton will reveal the option, but I liked the easy access via the battery in the right upper corner.
  • The music player is too big.
  • I cannot find the option to toggle widgets to online/offline mode.

My N8 was working just fine on Anna and my homescreens looked nice and neat. I had absolutely no troubles at all! With Belle everything's a mess. I wish I had not upgraded...

I have never complained about Nokia or my N8. I love them both. I'll stick to Nokia/Symbian for as long as I can. Unfortunately I cannot love Belle. Useless eye candy was added and handy direct access to several features was removed. I do not need my phone to look like an Android phone. I do not need to impress my friends with eye candy. Symbian Anna suited me just fine!

I hope future updates will address abovementioned issues.

Edit: my battery also drains noticably faster! It's on 65% now (14:03 pm) since I took it of the charger this morning. (35% loss in 5 hours) I usually hit the 66% mark on the second day after charging. WiFi connection seems to stay on even though there are no open applications and I do not have any widgets on my homescreen that require an internet connection.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kenyaone

Hi

I think belle is the bomb. Brilliant nokia keep it up. Yes there are some widgets issues, im sure resizing will be available in further ipdates. Phone definately faster, stable, the 6 screens make up for some large widgets. I got everything basically working like i had on anna. social can be improved, no notices function. But overall its a vast improvement from anna. I feel like i have a brand new phone.....)))

My son has N9 but i think the N8 with belle is far better.

My only gripe with nokia is too slow to respond to issues. And oh. Will there ever be an update on belle....Carla....? 

Please use plain text.
ukmartian

I agree with your sentiments entirely......I was fortunate enough to revert back to Anna after having a day to play with Belle. It might well work better on a phone with a Larger screen but it makes the N8 screen look cluttered.
Is it a coincidence that all the points you have raised I also very quickly found out for myself , or are they the most used and important and convenient functions ....If so why the hell did Nokia remove them
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kenyaone

and one other thing. using the top drag down menu is super. for those with batteries issues, keep the data settings of when not in use. My battery time is actually better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
esanker

The thing I love after updating to Belle was being able to install Nokia Car mode. I really love that app!
Please use plain text.