Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

List of common 5800 problems and solution status

Professor
XploitMachine

Re: List of common 5800 problems and solution status

Get Rid Of The Flashing Envelope Icon

If you've just put your SIM card in your Nokia 5800, you may have noticed a flashing envelope icon at the top of the screen. This icon indicates that the SIM card's own text message storage is full. This doesn't actually cause problems on the 5800 because it stores its messages in the phone's own memory, but the envelope can look a bit annoying.

To get rid of the flashing envelope:
1. On the standby screen press the white menu button.
2. Select "Messaging"
3. Select "Options"
4. Select "SIM Messages"
5. Delete some or all of the messages from the SIM messages folder using the Options menu.

This should make the flashing envelope go away. You only have to do this once because when the SIM card is emptied it won't fill any more, as the 5800 does not store messages on SIM cards.

But why does the envelope appear in the first place?

The phone uses internal memory intead of the SIM card's memory. However, SIM card memory is very limited and gets full quite quickly. If a phone relies on the SIM card for storage and the SIM card is full, then it can no longer receive messages. The 5800 does NOT use SIM cards for message storage, so it doesn't actually make any practical difference whether the SIM card is full or not. However, the flashing envelope icon will still appear if the SIM card is full just to let you know about it.

I'm an Xploit - Please feel free to post your issues, feedbacks in this discussion forum and I'll do my level best to help, otherwise my knowledged friends whom are around willing to help you. Thank you !
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Enable & Disable GPS Position Modes

My visual YouTube guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umLI-I4U-Q

I'm an Xploit - Please feel free to post your issues, feedbacks in this discussion forum and I'll do my level best to help, otherwise my knowledged friends whom are around willing to help you. Thank you !
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Nokia OVI Re-Downloading Guides

My visual YouTube guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaoeZ8FwMk

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Save A Wet Cell Phone

1. Get it out of the water as soon as possible. The plastic covers on cell phones are fairly tight, but water can enter the phone in a short period of time, perhaps only 20 seconds or less. So grab your phone quickly! If you can't get to it in time, your best bet is to remove the battery while it is still under water. Water helps dissipate heat from shorts that can damage the phone, so most damage occurs when the inside of the phone is merely wet and there is a power source. This can go both ways. Being under water is more likely to short the battery to even more sensitive contacts, so be careful.

2. Don't panic. Your phone will probably not be too damaged if you right away take it out of the water. While it's in the water, immediately take it out.

3. Remove the battery. This is one of the most important steps. Don't take time to think about it; electricity and water do not mix. Cutting power to your phone is a crucial first step in saving it. Many circuits inside the phone will survive immersion in water provided they are not attached to a power source when wet.

4. If you have a sim card ,remove your SIM card. Some or all of your valuable contacts (along with other data) could be stored on your SIM. To some people this could be more worth saving than the phone itself. SIM cards survive water damage well, but some of the following steps are unnecessary i.e. don't heat it. Just pat it dry and leave it aside until you need to connect your phone to your cellular network.

5. Dry your phone. Obviously you need to remove as much of the water as soon as possible, so you can save it from getting into the phone. Shake it out without dropping it, then use a towel or paper towel (ideally trying not to clog the wet paper in the gaps and grooves of the phone) to gently remove as much of the remaining water as possible. Dry the excess moisture by hand.

6. Remove any covers and external connectors to open up as many gaps, slots, and crevices in the phone as possible.

7. Use a vacuum cleaner if possible Let the phone sit on absorbent towels, napkin, or other paper. It is thought that letting a cellphone sit in rice will absorb moisture including under the screen. Remember that the goal is to evacuate all the moisture and humidity, not to trap it or add even more. Check the absorbent material every hour for 4 to 6 hours. If moisture is evident, repeat the vacuuming step and desiccant steps.

8. Use a hairdryer or the heating vent to your car. Turn the hairdryer on a medium setting and gently dry the keypad and trackball on the phone. Dry any parts that may have gotten damp for 5-7 minutes. If you do not have access to a hairdryer at the time, then the heater on in a car full blast. Hold the phone up to the vent and dry all areas for 5-10 minutes.

9. Test your phone. After you have waited a day or so, make sure everything is clean and dry looking and re-attach the battery to the phone and see if it works. If your phone does not work, try plugging it into its charger without the battery, if this works, you need a new battery. If not, try taking your cell phone to an authorized dealer. Sometimes they can fix it. Don't try to hide the fact that it has been wet. There are internal indicators that prove moisture.
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Nokia 5800XM & FM Transmitter

There are many customers requesting for FM Transmitter to be solved on Nokia 5800XM, however .. Nokia 5800XM has an FM receiver, and is not an FM transmitter.

FM transmitter is the hardware that sends FM signals to an FM radio. RDS (Radio Data System) is a data sent via FM signal that contains a bunch of information, like radio station name, the name of the current program or frequencies. So, you are buying an FM transmitter that may or may not be able to send RDS signals.

The practical use of RDS on phone is the same as on a car radio or home HiFi radio: get information transmitted from the radio station in a text form on the display. For example, you see the station name, the name of the song that is played at the moment, weather and traffic announcements, etc.

For aftermarket gadgets, please check:

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/CAR-FM-TRANSMITTER-FOR-NOKIA-N97-N85-N86-8MP-N96-5800_W0QQitemZ250505869481QQ...

Newbies please read through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_transmitter_%28personal_device%29
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

NOKIA 5800 XpressMusic Features

user posted image

Touch
Take a good look. This amazing 3.2 high-definition touchscreen looks unlike any other and puts everything at your fingertips. Perfectly proportioned for one hand, featuring intuitive fingertip, stylus, or plectrum control, and vibrant touch response. With automatic screen rotation, a full keyboard for fast messaging, and handwriting recognition.

Play
One touch to music, video, and more. The dedicated medis bar means mobile entertainment is always on hand. High-resolution widescreen video and superior stereo speakers and an advanced music player. Download new sounds to an 8GB microSD card, and sync your collection with Nokia Music software for PC.

Featuring you, your friends, and powerful 3.5G connection. Put your favourite people on your hime screen and share moments and media as they happen. Shoot 3.2 megapixel stills, DVD-like video, and let share on Ovi seamlessly showcase them online. Broadcast yourself or download teh latest videos in no time.

Music Player
One touch takes you to music. Browse by artist, album, and genre, or flick through your playlists, with up to 35 hours of great sounds on this advanced multi-format player.

Superior Sounds
Fill the room with stereo surround sound on world-leading built-in speakers. Enjoy crystal clear hi-fi with an 8-band graphic equalizer and easy volume control.

Nokia Music Store
Browse stream, and download millions of songs over the air at the Nokia Music Store. Discover new music with ultra-fast 2.5G and WLAN mobile technology.

Nokia Music PC Client
Sync, drag, frop, rip and go. Kepp your PC and mobile in tune with Nokia Music software. Manage your music on the fly with the unique two-way transfer of playlist.

Input Method
Stylus, plectrum and finger touch support for text input and user interface control (alphanumeric keypad, full and mini qwerty keyboard, handwriting recognition, full screen handwriting for Chinese language)
Dedicated Media Bar touch key for access to music, gallery, share on-line, Video Centre and web browser
Voice commands
Physical keys for application launch key (menu key), send & end, power, camera, lock, volume up & down

Connectors
- Micro-USB connector, USB 2.0 High Speed
- 3.5 mm Nokia AV connector
- MicroSD card slot, small DC jack, Micro USB cable interface to PC (CA-101), TV out interface (CA-75U)

Power
BL-5J 1320 mAh Li-Ion battery
Talk time (maximum):
- GSM 8.8 h
- WCDMA 5 h

Standby Time (maximum):
- GSM 406.2 h
- WCDMA 400 h
- Browsing time with packet data (maximum): 3.4 h
- Video playback time (maximum): 5.2 h, Video playback time (maximum, nHD/Mpeg4) 3.4 h, VGA video playback using TV-Out with - Stereo BT Headset 3.8 h
- Video recording time (maximum): 3.6 h
- Video call time (maximum): 3 h
- Music playback time (maximum): Up to 35 h
- Gaming time (maximum): 5.6 h

Data Network
- CSD
- HSCSD
- GPRS/EDGE class B, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177 kbps (DL/UL)
- WCDMA 2100/900 with simultanous voice and packet data, maximum speed PS 384/384 kbps (UL/DL), CS maximum speed 64 kbps
- HSDPA cat 6, maximum speed 3.6 Mbps (DL)
- WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g (3G version only)
- TCP/IP support

Local Connectivity & Synchronization
- Bluetooth version 2.0
- Bluetooth profiles: A2DP & AVRCP MTP (Mobile Transfer Protocol) support
- TV out with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, in-box)
- Support for PC synchronisation with Nokia OVI Suite

Call Features
- Integrated hands-free speakerphone
- Number screening for messaging and calls
- Automatic answer with headset or car kit
- Any key answer
- Call waiting, call hold, call divert
- Call timer
- Logging of dialled, received and missed calls
- Automatic redial
- Speed dialling
- Voice dialling: speaker independent dialling and voice commands (SIND)
- Fixed dialling number support
- Vibrating alert (internal), also with tactile feedback
- Side volume keys
- Mute/unmute
- Contacts bar for 4 contacts with images and communication history (SMS, IM, email, web feeds)
- Talking ring tones
- Conference calling with up to 6 participants
- Video calling: up to 3h, QCIF 176 x 144 pixels, low up to 5 fps, normal up to 10 fps, smooth up to 15 fps

Messaging
- SMS
- Multiple SMS deletion
- MMS version 1.3, message size up to 600 kb
- Automatic resizing of images for MMS
- Nokia Xpress audio messaging
- Common inbox for SMS and MMS messages
- Number screening for messaging
- Distribution lists for messaging
- Instant messaging client
- Cell broadcast

- Supported protocols: IMAP, POP, SMTP
- Support for e-mail attachments
- OMA e-mail notification support
- Mail for Exchange 2008 in DL client, in 2009 embedded
- Web browsing
- Supported markup languages: HTML, XHTML, WML
- Supported protocols: HTTP, WAP, JavaScript
- TCP/IP support
- OSS browser
- Nokia Mobile Search

GPS & Navigation
- Integrated GPS for pedestrian and car navigation
- Nokia Maps 2.0 Touch application

Photography
- 3.2 megapixel camera (2048 x 1536 pixels)
- Image formats: JPEG
- Carl Zeiss optics
- 3x digital zoom
- Autofocus
- Dual LED flash
- Flash modes: On, off, automatic, red-eye reduction
- White balance modes: automatic, sunny, cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent
- Centre weighted auto exposure; exposure compensation: 2 ~ -2EV at 0.5 step
- Normal, Sepia, Black&White, Vivid, Negative
- Dedicated camera key
- Landscape (horizontal) orientation
- Photo editor on device
- Direct printing to compatible picture printers

Video
- Main camera
- Video recording at up to 640 x 480 pixels and up to 30 fps (TV high quality), up to 640 x 352 pixels and up to 30 fps (widescreen quality), up to 320 x 240 pixels and up to 30 fps/15 fps (email high/normal quality), up to 176 x 144 and up to 15 fps (sharing quality)
- Up to 4x digital video zoom Front camera for video calling
- Video recording file formats: .mp4, .3gp
- udio recording formats: WAV (normal), AMR (MMS), AAC/MP4 (high quality)
- Video white balance modes: automatic, sunny, cloudy, incandescent, fluorescent
- Scene modes: automatic, night
- Colour tone modes: normal, sepia, black & white, vivid, negative
- Clip length (maximum): 1 h 30 min (high or normal quality). Dependable on available memory.
- RealPlayer
- Video playback file formats: MPEG4-SP playback 30fps VGA, MPEG4-AVC playback 30fps QVGA, WMV9 playback 30fps QVGA, MPEG4-SP - playback 30 fps nHD
- Video streaming: 3GPP and CIF
- Landscape mode video playback
- Video editor on device
- Video Centre service supported: download and stream video content, WMV support, video feeds

Music & Audio Playback
- Nokia Nseries digital music player
- Playlists
- 8-band graphical equalizer
- selection by artist, composers, album and genre album graphics display and audio visualisations bass booster, stereo widening, loudness Music playback file formats: .mp3, SpMidi, AAC, AAC , eAAC , WMA
- Dedicated volume keys & immediate access to Music Player from Media Bar, dedicated music keys in the headset control unit AD-54
- Stereo FM radio
- 3.5 mm Nokia AV connector
- Music Player
- Nokia Music Manager
- Nokia Music Store support
- Nokia Podcasting support
- Ring tones: 3D stereo ring tones, 64-tone polyphonic, mp3 & video ring tones (3 videos and 9 mp3 songs built-in)
- Integrated stereo speakers with surround sound (crystal clear hi-fi sound quality with dedicated audio chip)

Voice & Audio Recording
- Voice commands
- Speaker-independent name dialling (SIND)
- Voice recorder AMR, NB-AMR, FR, EFR
- Digital stereo microphone

Package Contains
- 1 x 5800 XpressMusic with pen stylus
- 1 x Battery
- 1 x High Efficiency Charger
- 1 x Music Headset
- 1 x Video-out Cable*
- 1 x Connectivity Cable
- 1 x Carrying Case*
- 1 x Stylus plectrum in wrist strap*
- 1 x Extra pen stylus*
- 1 x User guide
- 1 x 8GB Memory Card

*Depending on manufacturer's availability

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Zune Video Converter Nokia 5800 - FREEWARE

Convert your high quality video to watch full screen with Zune Video Converter Nokia 5800.

Download: http://www.2shared.com/file/10117083/a76b9bf5/Zune_Video_Converter.html
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Playing N-Gage Games In Nokia 5800XM

Sure, you need to have N-Gage Emulator ..

Install the N-Gage Installer from:
- http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/etc/medialib/ngage/web/common/downloads/app.Par.71043.File.dat/n-gage_1.30...

Get the games from:
- http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/ngage/web/g0/en/showroom.html

Here is a nice video guide:
- http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/ngage/web/g0/en/support/purchase/HowToVideo.html
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Phone Halts at Nokia Handshaking Startup Screen

It's a memory card issue, please re-format your memory card using external SD/SDHC card reader via computer and format it using Windows Explorer (My Computer -> Explore -> Memory Card Drive Letter -> Right Click and Select Format (FULL FORMAT for FAT32 & Don't do quick format.)

Re-sit the memory card in the device and start the fone, do a hard reset and reinstall all ure desired applications. My advise is for you to ScanDisk the memory card every 1 or 2 weeks to maintain the good quality. Currently the appropriate SD/SDHC for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is Class 4 and the best is Class 6.

Diagnosting your SD/SDHC card often keeps out of error and corrects lost chains which occurs while copy, delete, move activities. You may have noticed that SDHC memory cards are available in different speed classes (2, 4 and 6). Each class designation directly reflects the minimum sustained Data Transfer Rate (DTR) of the card.

- Class 2: minimum DTR of 2 MB per second

- Class 4: minimum DTR of 4 MB per second

- Class 6: minimum DTR of 6 MB per second

These cards are the perfect solution for today’s SDHC-compatible devices that run MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and other high-quality video compression used by HD and DVD video. Means the class 4 and 6 has the better quality ouput in storing your data.Most end-users are not aware of this.

As my personal advise and my personal experience, I never faced any problem using my device and the memory card.

1. Do not install large applications, such ad DVD movies > 500MB.

2. Run ScanDisk at least once every week.

3. Always plug-out your SD/SDHC which is connection thru device using USB cable by stopping the card process

(Click the "Safely remove hardware" icon and stop the process)

4. Avoid taking out the SD/SDHC card from the device unnecessarily, let it be there and don't disturb it.

5. Install only usefull applications into the phone, dont dump things that u dont use much, if so .. use ure computer.

Solution Method

1. Use an external SD/SDHC reader and copy out all ure data's from the memory card.

2. As the oldskool DOS method .. C:\Format <memorycarddriveletter> Example: C:\Format E: (press enter) .. wait for 100% .. Format the memory card using FAT32

or alternatively, goto Windows Explorer -> Right click on the F drive -> Choose Format -> Choose FAT32 and select FULL FORMAT (Dont Use Quick Format!)

2.  Finally, move back ure old backed up data to the SD card and ure phone will work properly again, Insert into device and turn ON.

Bytheway, you can see my some visual tutorials via my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/xploitmachine

Thanks !

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Soft & Hard Reset Nokia 5800XM

Soft Reset
- Reverts system files to original a.ka factory settings.
- Any changes made to system files will be override.
- Any applications related to system file configurations will fail to work.
- Most standalone applications will work without any problems.
- Memory card data still intact.

Hard Reset
- Full format (brings ure fone as fresh as first time bought.
- Resets system information, such as time / date / location /user data etc.
- All user data and system data will be wiped off completely, including System, Contacts, Messages, Settings etc.

Instructions

Soft Reset (Factory Reset)
- Press *#7370# on the dialer,you'll need your lock code for this by default it is 12345, unless changed.

Hard Reset (Full Erase Phone except SD Card)
- Hard Reset finally available on our 5800XM with the latest v20 firmware, just press and hold GREEN call button + RED end button + CAMERA button and switch on the phone from off state and wait until the nokia logo comes out
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Home Screen, Calendar and Profile Shortcut Issues

Please try "Soft Reset" which means Factory Reset, to do this, please press *#7370# on the dialer, you'll need your security lock code for this by Nokia default it is 12345, unless changed.

What does Soft Reset do?

- Reverts system files to original a.ka factory settings.
- Any changes made to system files will be override.
- Any applications related to system file configurations will fail to work.
- Most standalone applications will work without any problems.

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Nokia Firmware Availability Checker

Step 1
Start by entering this code on your Nokia device's keypad *#0000#

Note: This code may not function on all devices. For detailed instructions on finding out the software version on your particular device, please consult your user guide.

Step 2
If you are able to select Options, you may Check for updates immediately and update using only your device. You need not perform the remaining steps. Otherwise, your display will show your current software version number (e.g. V 12.3.456). Please write this down – you’ll need it to complete the next step.
Step 3

Step 3
To find what the latest available device software is, you’ll need your device’s product code. The code is printed on the white label beneath the battery (e.g. CODE: 0520001)

Nokia Official Link: http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update/can-i-update

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Purchasing Your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Nokia´s latest music phone, the 5800 XpressMusic, is yet another cool candybar model worth checking out. Features such as multi-format music player, stereo speakers, hi-fi sound with eight-band equaliser, eight gigabytes (GB) of storage and 1,000 free song downloads will likely go down well with audiophiles.

The Media Bar accommodates quick access to music, podcasts and other multimedia files as well as the Internet. To enjoy audio on the go, the device can be matched with the supplied hands-free kit. The stereo surround sound capability delivered by the built-in speakers lets you share your music experience loud.

Another highlight feature is the model´s 3.2-inch high-resolution touch-screen. Responsive to fingertip, stylus and plectrum control, the screen also provides automatic screen rotation through its built-in accelerometer and accommodates handwriting input.

Note that when switching from vertical to horizontal view, or vice versa, the screen will go blackout for a second before popping again to show your preferred view.

To enhance the home screen view, Nokia added the Contacts bar, where you can place the avatars of four best friends or family members on the main screen.

The 5800 XpressMusic´s 3.2-megapixel camera is capable of churning out images up to 2,048 by 1,536 pixels. With Carl Zeiss optics, 3X digital zoom, auto-focus and dual LED flash, you shouldn´t face any problems getting decent JPEG shots. You can also edit the photos to your liking.

Meanwhile, video recording can be done at up to 640 by 480 pixels at 30 frames per second. Recording is only limited by the size of the available memory, and with the supplied 8GB Micro Secure Digital card to add to the existing 81 megabytes of internal memory, you can get cool footages of concerts, showcases and other fun events.

Sharing those files is also easy as the 5800 XpressMusic offers a comprehensive list of connectivity options, the easiest being Bluetooth and USB 2.0 for transfer to PC and other devices. And with the Nokia CA-75U video-out cable, which comes with the package, your pictures and footages can be shown on the television for all to enjoy.

With High Speed Downlink Packet Access support and WLAN IEEE802.11b/g, accessing the Internet is also a breeze. A wireless LAN wizard program comes pre-loaded to help you out. Be it uploading photos to your blog or downloading the online news pages, the horizontal view that the screen supports creates a convenient Web surfing experience.

With A-GPS feature and Nokia Maps application, you can get navigation help from the 5800 XpressMusic. From tracking location to routing the next destination, directions come with pedestrian walk or satellite hybrid views. The package includes Nokia Maps with seven days of real-time navigation anywhere in the world for you to try out.

Features aside, the 5800 XpressMusic may come across looking like a typical candybar phone. Although thicker than many other Nokia candybars, this model feels solid and its glossy front bezel adds a bit of sophistication to the design.

Besides that, the rubbery feel of its back panel makes the device easy to grip. All ports also come with a protective lid, while buttons are nicely tucked in the front and sides, making the overall look simple and practical.

The 5800 XpressMusic offers plenty of value for money. That is, if you don´t mind a couple of hangs while using it during testing, the unit froze a couple of times while this writer was playing the cool pre-loaded games.

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Playing N-Gage Games In Nokia 5800XM

Sure, you need to have N-Gage Emulator ..

Install the N-Gage Installer from:
http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/etc/medialib/ngage/web/common/downloads/app.Par.71043.File.dat/n-gage_1.30...

Get the games from:
http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/ngage/web/g0/en/showroom.html

Here is a nice video guide:
http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/ngage/web/g0/en/support/purchase/HowToVideo.html

Important note: Above are demo and trial games, if you liked the games please purchase. TQ
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

my nokia 5800XM doesn't open the music player any more.. dont know why..

i tried updating the softwarebut nothing changed

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Connecting to WPA / WPA2 Enterprised Network

Example:

• Name: wpa.mcgill.ca
  • SSID: wpa.mcgill.ca
  • Security Type: PEAP
  • User Name: McGill Username
  • User password: McGill Password
  • CA Certificate: Thawte Premium Server CA
  • Inner Link Security: EAP-MS-CHAP V2
  • Token: None Selected
  • Server subject: blank
  • Server San: blank

Since your WLAN network seems to require more advanced PEAP authentication settings you should probably create / edit appriate WLAN connection profile, known as (Internet) Access Point, manually in a following manner:

1. Go to Tools -> Settings -> Connection -> Network Destinations

2. Check if your earlier failed attempt to connect has already created an non-funtional IAP named as your WLAN network SSID (look for a entry named wpa.mcgill.ca) under "Internet" destination.

3. If you can see existing IAP named as your WLAN SSID then you can Edit that one with necessary changes. (skip to 7.)

4. If you don't see any existing IAPs that are named like your WLAN network then go to the desired "Destination" (e.g. Internet) and select Options -> Add Connection Method.

5. Assuming you are in the coverage area of your WLAN network you can let phone "Automatically check for connection methods" (i.e. phone scans available WLAN networks) and you should be able to select the correct WLAN network name (wpa.mcgill.ca) from the list. Once you have selected the WLAN network your "Internet" Destination should now have been added with a new Access Point (IAP) that is named "wpa.mcgill.ca". Note that at this point the particular connection method is still incorrectly configured for your purposes (since by defaul it has EAP-SIM & EAP-AKA authentication methods enabled).

6. Now you should manually Edit your newly created wpa.mcgill.ca Internet Access Point with necessary PEAP settings.

7. Configure following WLAN and authentication settings:

"Connection name" defaults to name of your WLAN network (wpa.mcgill.ca) but you can also change this if you wish

- "Data Bearer" naturally needs to be "Wireless LAN"
- "WLAN network name" should match your WLAN network's name (SSID) exactly (wpa.mcgill.ca)
- "Network status": Public

- "WLAN network mode": Infrastructure
- "WLAN Security mode": WPA/WPA2

Go to "WLAN security settings
- Ensure that "WPA/WPA2 mode is set to "EAP"
- Leave "WPA-2 Only mode" to "OFF" unless you are absolutely sure that your WLAN network is configured to stricly pure WPA2 mode (i.e. network might be configured to support both WPA and WPA2 security thus enabling WPA-2 Only mode on the phone will cause all your connection attempts to fail).

Go to "EAP plug-in configuration

- Enable "EAP-PEAP" and make sure that "EAP-SIM" and "EAP-AKA" are disabled (via Options -> Disable)

Select "Configure" for EAP-PEAP authentication method
- Leave "Personal Certificate" to "Not defined"
- Select "Thawte Premium Server CA" to be used as an "Authority certificate"
- Set "User name in use" to "User defined" (since there is no Personal Certificate where it could be read automatically)
- Enter your username (McGill Username) to "Username" field
- Set "Realm in use" to "User defined" and leave following "Realm" field empty.
- Note that in case your username (McGill Username) contains the realm (i.e. format is username@realm ) then you can enter realm part of your ID to "Realm" field and enter only the username part to the "Username" field.

- Configure "Allow PEAPv0" to Yes
- Configure both "Allow PEAPv1" and "Allow PEAPv2" to "No"

Go to "EAP's" tab to configure inner authentication method for the PEAP (use the small arrow pointing right on top of the screen to move between tabs)

- Enable "EAP-MSCHAPv2" authentication method and Disable all other methods (Option -> Enable / Disable)
- Select "Edit" for the EAP-MSCHAPv2
- Enter you username (McGill Username) to "User name" field
- Configure "Prompt password" to No or Yes depending on whether you want your password to be prompted everytime you make an connection or if you prefer saving your password to following "Password" field permanenly so that it won't be prompted during everytime you connect to this WLAN network with PEAP/EAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication.
- If you you selected "No" to password prompting then enter your password (McGill Password) to "Password" field.

Exit the configuration with "Back" (several times) and you should hopefully be able to connect with this setup.

If needed you can also change the priority order of the connection methods (IAP's) within the Internet Destination since your new connection most likely ended up being lowest priority WLAN connection within your Internet destination. This should however not be a problem unless you have some other WLAN networks defined as an IAP and these other WLAN networks are simultaneously available at the location of the wpa.mcgill.ca WLAN network.

Credits to: saataja

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Nokia Charger Exchange Programme

Nokia has announced an exchange program for a limited number of Nokia-branded chargers manufactured by a third party supplier. We have determined that the plastic covers of the affected chargers could come loose and separate, exposing the charger’s internal components and potentially posing an electric shock hazard if certain internal components are touched while the charger is plugged into a live socket. While we are not aware of any incidents or injuries related to the affected chargers, as a precautionary measure, we will exchange affected charger models free-of-charge.

The affected chargers are those manufactured by BYD between June 15, 2009 and August 9, 2009 and with the following model types: AC -3U, AC-3E and those manufactured by BYD between April 13, 2009 and October 25, 2009 and with the following model type AC-4U.

Affected chargers may have been sold with a Nokia device or purchased separately as an accessory.Your charger is not impacted by this action if you purchased it before June 15, 2009 for models AC-3U and AC-3E and before April 13, 2009 for model AC-4U or it is a similar charger model manufactured by any other supplier. The reliability and quality of our products, is Nokia’s top priority. If you have confirmed that your charger is eligible to be replaced, we advise that you stop using it, and seek a free replacement charger. An exchange program has been arranged for all markets in which affected chargers have been sold.

To minimise inconvenience to Nokia customers, the exchange will take place at the country level.

How to check video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW80dlLr6NE

Link: http://chargerexchange.nokia.com/chargerexchange/en/

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Passing Symbian Certificate Restriction

Symbian acceptance restriction used to extent any apps online installed upon a dungeon phone or smartphone which used Symbian OS. It means if we need to implement unsigned applications we need to penetrate Symbian acceptance restriction.

Every Symbian OS v9 (or newer) application has to be signed to be installed on the devices. If an application requires basic capabilities only, it can be signed with self-signed certificate using only your own computer. Basic capabilities include LocalServices, NetworkServices, ReadUserData, UserEnvironment and WriteUserData. Starting with S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 release (aka S60 3.2) the Location capability can also be granted to self-signed applications. The instructions below show the steps of getting a developer certificate from Symbian Signed.

It can be used by the developers to sign an application during development/testing. It can be used by the end users to sign unsigned applications. The DevCertRequest tool requires a certificate and a private key to be present when generating the request. If you have a TC TrustCenter Publisher ID, you can generate a certificate (.cer) and a private key (.key) file from it.

To get the legal certificate and full instructions, please visit: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Developer_certificate

To get a self signed applications please logon to Nokia OVI Store.

Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

The White Screen Of Death (WSOD) Solution

Having an issue with your Nokia 5800XM / Nokia N97 when it simply couldn't boot up with stuck at Nokia logo and the only way out was to do hard reset. No more hard reset again say no more to losing all my data and tried playing with battery, SIM, SD/SDHC, headphones and charger random insertion and removal.

All you need is:
- Nokia 5800XM / Nokia N97
- Charger

Follow these steps:
1. Turn OFF your phone.
2. Insert charger.
3. Remove charger right after screen lights up.
4. Wait a couple of seconds till screen turns off and just after that press power button.
5. After standard vibration notification just put your charger in.
6. You can insert your PIN again.
7. Done !.

Now as the standard procedure to overcome this problem read below my write ups. Fresh bought or even having data loss? Refer below tips !

Set you Windows Explorer -> File Options (Enable view all files & system files)

1. Format ure SD Card (manual DOS trick),
-  Goto Command Prompt and type C:\>Format <SDdriveletter> eg. Format E:

2. Or you can use Windows Explorer formatting, right click on the memory card drive letter and select format.

(Dont't ever use quick format!)

3. Wait until it finished.
4. Install ure desired apps and games and themes.
5. Defrag (not recommended) and ScanDisk ure SD Card every 1 week.

Memory card or flash memory card is solid-state electronic flash memory data storage device capable of storing digital contents. Most SD cards ship preformatted with the FAT or FAT 32 file system on top of an MBR partition scheme. The ubiquity of this file system allows the card to be accessed on virtually any host device with an SD reader. Also, standard FAT maintenance utilities (e.g. SCANDISK) can be used to repair or retrieve corrupted data. SD cards with 4 GB and smaller capacities can be used with many systems by being formatted with FAT16 (4 GB only possible by using 64 kByte clusters, and not widely supported) or FAT32 file system (common for file systems 4 GB and larger). On an SD card, this is unnecessary, as the time required to access any block is the same. Defragmenting an SD card will wear the card out slightly, as the number of writes are limited before failure occurs (usually 100 000 times).

Enjoy!
Please use plain text.
Professor
XploitMachine

Passing Symbian Certificate Restriction

Symbian acceptance restriction used to extent any apps online installed upon a dungeon phone or smartphone which used Symbian OS. It means if we need to implement unsigned applications we need to penetrate Symbian acceptance restriction.

Every Symbian OS v9 (or newer) application has to be signed to be installed on the devices. If an application requires basic capabilities only, it can be signed with self-signed certificate using only your own computer. Basic capabilities include LocalServices, NetworkServices, ReadUserData, UserEnvironment and WriteUserData. Starting with S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 release (aka S60 3.2) the Location capability can also be granted to self-signed applications. The instructions below show the steps of getting a developer certificate from Symbian Signed.

It can be used by the developers to sign an application during development/testing. It can be used by the end users to sign unsigned applications. The DevCertRequest tool requires a certificate and a private key to be present when generating the request. If you have a TC TrustCenter Publisher ID, you can generate a certificate (.cer) and a private key (.key) file from it.

To get the legal certificate and full instructions, please visit: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Developer_certificate

To get a self signed applications please logon to Nokia OVI Store.

Another free and easy ceritificate site is also available at http://andy.ehandysoft.com/devcert.php then get signtools 2.2 , and sign away.

TQ

Please use plain text.