Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lost contacts after backup!

Contributor

Lost contacts after backup!

Hello,

I recently replaced my n85 as it was malfunctioning. I backed up the phone memory to SD card. On restoring this to my new phone, the contacts doesn't seem to have been restored. On entering the phone book, it says "contacts from selected memories not available". It seems strange as, upon receiving calls/messages, my phone knows who they are from (ie. the name of the contact comes up rather than the number). It seems the contacts are somewhere in the phone but it just won'r let me see them!

Does anyone know how I can retrieve my contacts?

Thank you,

J

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Try looking in contacts. options, settings, contacts to display/default saving memory. change source and see if they turn up ?

Also for future reference, try to sync your phone with Ovi Suite once a week, then if you lose contacts they will be restored on next sync !

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for your help.

I have tried that but no success! It seems like the contacts app isnt working properly, as it hangs quite frequently?! But since its a pre-installed app I dont know how to reinstall it? Any more ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Do you not have any contacts on your sim or any previous backups ? Generally you need an external backup source for contacts after a reset, if your backup to memory card hasn't worked you may be stuck ! :smileysad:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a copy of my contacts but its from about 1 year ago so a lot has changed. When I try to save new contacts, they do not appear in the contacts list, despite the fact that phone memory is selected as the  "contacts to display". So I am fairly sure that it is a problem with the contacts app rather than not actually having the contacts in the phone! Does anyone know how to reinstall a specific application?

Thanks again

Please use plain text.