Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Low phone memory N8

tobiassand
Accepted Solution

Low phone memory N8

Hi

I have a Nokia N8, and i have a problem with the phone memory i only have 17,4mb free

how/what can i delete to get more space? I dont have any programs installed on the phone memory

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: Low phone memory N8

Try going to browser and clearing privacy data, also delete a few messages. As a last resort, do a reset, but it will take a while to set up the phone again. Dial *#7370# and 12345 pass key if required, but back up contacts, calendar and notes first. Phone will reset to out of the box and you will have maximum memory on C !!

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Is ther any other way to do this without having to set everything p again. I had to do that with the previous update and was charged for my paid for apps.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

sphinxx wrote:

Is ther any other way to do this without having to set everything p again. I had to do that with the previous update and was charged for my paid for apps.

You should nte to re-pay for your apps, unless you've exceeded your maximum download limit.

To find out what is exactly installed to your C: drive, open the application manager > installed applications and scroll through the list. The apps that have a small icon to the right that looks like a coffee mug ( it does to me anyway ) are apps that are installed to mass memory ( F:smileyhappy:. The ones without the icon are installed to C:. Go through the list and decide what to remove to free up some memory.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@rayhipkiss. Thanks forthe reply. I did a delete and restore and all my problems except one have been sorted out. My Calendar won't open due to t"he Memory full. Close some applications and try again" message. Any ideas to sort it out? The calendar app is needed. Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aadilh1

I've the a low memory issue on my N8, normally it has about 70mb free due to nokia still installing a lot of their new apps on c: If I remove the whole maps suite including all positioning apps space will be around 100 free.

The issue however is something keeps using up all space in c: it keeps reducing, the last time was down to 2k free space. Generally exiting everything wont help unless the phone is restarted. Whatever is temporarily writing so much data is a mystery, it can happen within a few hours.

There are so many issues with symbian & nokia just loves giving a small drive c:, when will they learn.
Remember, Questions and Answers are required by this Nokia support board. It's very strict, don't complain, criticise or express opinions which does not answer question or your post could be deleted. My friendly warning.
Please use plain text.
barbswhiting

You summarise the exact problem I am having.  It is stupid.  They sell these fancy phones and then you are stuffed because of low memory all the time.  It is very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
unmaskedfalesh

yea barbs.
u r right its really annoying to see phones like n8 with low memory of 256mb...its like **bleep**...y cant nokia just give at least 1 gb free internal phone memory for high end phones like n8...which each best thing except enough memory.....feels like **bleep**..
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hherrmmann

My C: memory on the N8 is 64MB (out of 254) which works OK.

But now Nokia posted a set of Windows apps, altogether needing 10 MB on C:.

I don't think the phone will work smoothly with only 54 MB left; any experiences?

I did all the usual stuff to free up C: memory.

There is one thing I have not tried yet: to remove the OVI shop, which consumer 4 MB.

I assume I can run OVI also as a pure web application, thereby avoiding the embedded OVI app of 4MB.

Will that work?

(At present, if I start up OVI from the website, it jumps from the browser to running the OVI app embedded on my phone).

Thanks,

Herman

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ajuabrenda

Low phone memory N8 - completely frustrated by the lack of support

[ Edited ]

Here is the problem - as we all know -- Nokia N with Belle - do not have enough memory in drive C. See attachment.

having to do a complete reset should not be the solution. Can Tech support actually find out how to fix this:

Phone Memory: 8.13 MB free of 254.24 MB (3.20%)

I do not use the Phone memory for anything - no messages, no contacts, no photos, etc.

Clicked > Make space:  chose all options allowed for cleaning

Now have a whopping 8.17 MB of free space!!!

See attached pdf.

Moderators notes: Attachment removed as personal details can be seen.

hard to be a nerd sometimes living in paradise ... but someone's gotta to do it!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

Re: Low phone memory N8 - completely frustrated by the lack of support

I love the quote from Nokia Suite when you look at the "phone info and tools" section.

Says "Everything is fine here, you've got plenty of free space. You can fill your phone with music, photos, videos, or whatever rocks your boat"

Just make sure you email your friends and tell them not to email you as this fills up the phone memory! No wait phone them instead as the sent emails will further add to you woes!

Come on Nokia this is totally unacepable, is anybody listening? Hello are you there lionel? Come in Lionel

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

Also why is this thread marked as solved? It is quite plainly not!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

MontyUK wrote:

It's marked as solved because the OP marked it as such. Clearly, Carman58 provided the solution for the OP. Have you tried what Carman58 has suggested?

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

rayhipkiss wrote:

MontyUK wrote:

It's marked as solved because the OP marked it as such. Clearly, Carman58 provided the solution for the OP. Have you tried what Carman58 has suggested?

Ray. 

Ah sorry Ray I wrongly assumed threads were marked solved by the Mods not the poster, my apologies.

But yes tried this twice and my free memory is still less than 25MB and dropping every day. No apps installed on the C: memory other than the ones which Bella installs and can't be changed.

I suspect it's emails.

Rob

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

Down to 22.16 MB now, was 27 MB last week.

No apps installed since, infact I've taken a few off that were installed on C including Social.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

MontyUK wrote:

rayhipkiss wrote:

MontyUK wrote:

Ray. 

Ah sorry Ray I wrongly assumed threads were marked solved by the Mods not the poster, my apologies.

But yes tried this twice and my free memory is still less than 25MB and dropping every day. No apps installed on the C: memory other than the ones which Bella installs and can't be changed.

I suspect it's emails.

Rob

No worries Rob. To be honest my C: drive doesn't lose free space but stays at a constant 73 MB. I do have MS Apps installed which took around 45 MB from C:

It doesn't sound good if you have reset your phone twice but didn't free up any space on C:

Do you have any apps installed that need to store a cache like Skype or another browser? It might be worth clearing out all data from the default browser as well as any other browsers you mau have. If you do have Skype try deleting some of your old messages. Also, check how many SMS and MMS you've got on your phone and back them up to your PC then remove from your phone.

After a reset some people tend to restore a full backup but this will restore the original problem so you end up back at square one. It's best to only restore important data rather than the full image.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

Thanks Ray but I didn't put many apps back on after the last reset.

Anyway I think I've proved it's the email, see captures below. On my PC I sent a large 8MBish email attachment from one account to another (Both accounts on the phone).

Free memory was 21.15MB, then dropped to 13.41MB after it download the email. Then went up to 21.04MB when I deleted it! Not sure where the 0.11MB went to!

What absolute chuffing muppet at Nokia thinks what's left of the 254MB phone memory is enough for a smart phone with multiple emails accounts? And more importantly why the heck don't they let you install it on the Mass Memory?

I honestly despair with it. It's just one stupid blazing error after another.

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Best suggestion I've seen so had for memory management on the N8 (^3, Belle) - delete your email boxes, add them again afterwards. Then try keep your inbox at hotmail or gmail, etc. tidy. Saved me 20MB, and 50 bucks, lol
6210, 6310i, N70, E90, N8
I've seen* the iPhone4/4S, iPad2, Moto RAZR and SIII for a few minutes - all very good. Lumia 820 (WP8) is a fantastic piece of work.

Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. RIP, giant.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ajuabrenda

Glad that worked for you but it has not solved the problem for me:smileymad: and, truly, this is not a solution - Nokia needs to fix the problem

hard to be a nerd sometimes living in paradise ... but someone's gotta to do it!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

ajuabrenda wrote:

Glad that worked for you but it has not solved the problem for me:smileymad: and, truly, this is not a solution - Nokia needs to fix the problem

Totally agree, a smart phone should be smart enough to manage it's own memory.  

Please use plain text.