Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Magnetometer not working properly on Belle

Pekkeli

Magnetometer not working properly on Belle

Hi,

I made Qt application which collects data from sensors (accelerometer, magnetometer, proximity, compass, GPS...). I have used application on N8 and it works perfecly on Anna devices. However, there seems to be problem with Belle. It works fine at start (from 5 to 60 minutes) but in some point  magnetometers and compass seem to freeze, and I do not get updates their values. This problem seems to be related with Belle because it works fine on Anna and I've tested the application with two different N8 phones running Belle. Is there some solution to this problem?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fvisagie

Hi Pekkeli,

I also experienced this annoying problem. Both with a Nokia app (Maps) and a 3rd-party one, Astroller. In Maps the compass wouldn't work and Astroller's compass and automatic scrolling upon movement didn't work. I tried calibrating the compass over and over again but nothing worked.

This continued until at some point I attempted to refresh the map installations via Nokia Suite. It mentioned something about the Maps application on the phone not being in the correct state and advised that I should restart Maps so that it could "reset" itself if I remember correctly.

Thereafter the problem was gone, go figure!

Hope this helps,
Francois
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Can you tell us how to refresh map installations? Compass in my Nokia maps is not working, neither it is working with other 3rd party compass apps.
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fvisagie

Um... as far as I can I can remember, in Nokia Suite I wanted to update all maps to their latest versions.

Nokia Suite's support for that isn't very well thought out, in the sense that you have to replace all maps currently on the phone - View > Go to > Maps > Updates available > Update the maps. This then replaces all maps.

I might also first have gone View > Go to > Maps > On phone > Maps and voice guidance to see what's one the phone.

Be that as it may, when I got to whichever of the above, Nokia Suite mentioned something about the Maps application on the phone not being in the correct state and advised that I should restart Maps (on the phone) so that it could "reset" itself if I remember correctly. Thereafter the problem was gone.

So you could try both the above and look for any prompts or suggestions from Nokia Suite. Failing that, also restart Maps on the phone and failing that, perhaps reinstallating Maps?

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Hi Timmakat,

You can also update the maps data via Wi-Fi on your device itself. I find this is a much more stable installation and less confusing that performing the update via Nokia Suite. Simply goto Maps, then press the /// icon to the far right on screen and select Map Loader. Also, to ensure you have the latest version of the Maps, Drive and associated applications, by downloading the Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 application in Nokia Store. This will automate the installation of all the Maps applications onto your phone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

My issue is not with maps installation. I have problems with compass which does not work in maps. Even the other compass apps like compass touch or compass pro do not work. I get asked to calibrate compass by moving my phone in all 3 axes but no amount of moving it solve The issue.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Can Anyone confirm whether this problem is caused by firmware issues or is it a hardware issue? I must say I am fed up with each of these kinds of issues that come up with each update.
Please use plain text.