Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Mobile VPN for N8

Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi,

There is at least one company, telexy.com who has made PPTP VPN client eariler for Symbian.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
elangoibm

Hi Ismo,

My company is using IP Sec vpn. I have N8 and i have configured as per the nokia web site for IP Sec VPN. After install the vpn policy when i tried to connect VPN, it never asked the VPN user id and password. In the VPN log, I could see the message as 'Activated VPN access point 'xxxxxxxx', IP address xxx.xxx.x.x'.

Can you please help me to access VPN. thanks.

Elango G

Please use plain text.
pouldenton

[ Edited ]

IsmoK wrote:

Hi,

There is at least one company, telexy.com who has made PPTP VPN client eariler for Symbian.

Thanks,

Ismo

Symbian^3 phones (Nokia N8, C6-01, C7, E6, E7, X7, Nokia Oro and others)
are NOT compatible
with this software and all other current versions of Telexy's software. This software will NOT work on Symbian^3 phones. Please do NOT     purchase and do NOT download this software and do NOT transfer licence of this software for Symbian^3 phones and for all other phones that are not included in located below list of Compatible Devices. More details ... .

===============================================================

It's a basic function and it must be in the core set of software!!!  Nokia, not Telexy should provide support for standard protocols and communication technologies for their devices! Many users would prefer to get a normal VPN client instead of free NFS Shift! Android, IOS, Windows phone, all  have native pptp support!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Is there ANY chance of this. Nokia, while I appreciate you make some very good ipsec VPN boxes and have obviously decided to support those with your mobile phones, there's a huge base of business users who use pptp vpn who it appears you've just dismissed. The N8 is supposed to be a business class phone so come on surely if Telexy can create one for the S60 devices you guys can do so for the ^3 devices? ... Please

Please use plain text.
Kilroy238

As a normal person trying to figure this out reading the terminology is like trying to read one of the books from Dune you can't go a sentence without stopping to have to try and find out with some new word or acronym is so I agree completely. I live in China and really need a vpn. Man did I make a mistake I should have bought an android.

This was my first and last Nokia phone.
Please use plain text.
Kilroy238

I sent Telexy a message when the N8 first came out and asked them about making a new client for ^3 they put up a page asking if folks were interested after about 3 months with only about 300 people having clicked they wanted it . Telexy decided it wasn't worth their time.

Nokia really screwed normal non-IT on this.
Please use plain text.
Kilroy238

I wonder is there any chance Belle will improve our plight of no vpn on the N8?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Moritz_JT

Nope it doesn't. As long as Nokia doesn't see themselves forced to push resources into developing PPTP, they won't do it.

Too few voices raised, and they never ask. So you'll have to fight for it. All the good old Symbian Elite Software, won't make it to S^3 it seems :-(

Good Luck though!

Thankfully I got IPSec working with my eduroam! 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sk_vishwanath

Is there a support to Cisco Any connect VPN?

I noticed that there is a Anyconnect app by Cisco that apparently works with Symbian^3 platform.

But have no clue on how to download this and the working of this app.

The user guide is :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/symbian-user/guide/symbi...

Possible Download link :

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283000185&softwareid=282364313&release=2.4.50...

Can any of you VPN experts tell me if this app is server specific (need to download from company's VPN site) or independent of server?

Also I have noticed a similar app exists for Android and iOs in their respective stores, is the above symbian app similar to theirs?

Regards,

Vishwanath S K

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi,

I think the client in Cisco web page (the sis file) is a generic client.

I suggest you check it from Cisco Support.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sk_vishwanath

Hi Ismo,

As you said, I checked with Cisco support, but no reply yet :smileysad:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2088044

Anyway, is it possible configure existing Nokia vpn to connect to Anyconnect vpn.

All I have is a url that my company has provided, that I have to enter in the Anyconnect vpn desktop client.

Regards,

Vishwanath S K

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi,

Cisco Anyconnect is an SSL VPN based solution, whereas Nokia Mobile VPN is an IPsec/IKE VPN, so they use different technologies and Nokia Mobile VPN can not be used with Anyconnect.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
andrew1234

Ismo would you send me a PM on the witopia VPN settings. I have a Nokia E7 Anna
Please use plain text.
combuster

[ Edited ]

For a few days now I'm trying to connect my Nokia E6 over VPN to a Cisco 1841 router. I've came as far as I get prompted for my username/password, router gives me an IP over DHCP (from the internal network address range) and then depending on the settings (if I fill in identity remote with the internal address range or I fill those with zeros) I either get kicked with reason 14 when I try to access any web site on my network or I stay connected but with no traffic available (results in 0 bytes transferred).

I've seen many users here on discussions/ex-thread on developers, that were complaining on the same problem and the main suspect was IPsec over UDP and NAT-T but I couldn't find an answer with the solution anywhere. I don't know where ESP fits in.

Another thing that is bugging me is that all of the above is happening when I connect through my ADSL-WiFi router at home, when I try to connect over 3G/GSM (with the same VPN policy) it just says "Connection failed". Should there be a difference and where ?

TIA 2 elsmo and anyone else who may be able to help/clarify !

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi combuster,

Just send me a private message and I will look at it.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Is it possible to get my N8 to VPN into a Tomato or DDWRT router like my Apple Ipod or my Samsung Galaxy can do, Or should I just give up on my N8

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi,

Nokia Mobile VPN supports IPsec/IKE VPN protocols. If your router is compatible with that

they should work together. Check the Step-by-Step guide for more info:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-mobile-vpn

Thanks,

IsmoK

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sajan_007

Hi IsmoK,

I have a Nokia C7-00 + Belle.

After reading your previous posts I tried to create a VPN policy (Cicso asa)  using template "Cisco_ASA_pskxauth.vpn". 

I am getting the following error code in vpn log: -

Failed to activate VPN access point . reason code 5257.

Basically I have the cisco .pcf file  + user name + password + RSA token.

But not sure if I choose the right template and how to put the token values..

Could you please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Sajan 

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
IsmoK

Hi sajan_007,

I'll send you a PM and let's take a look at your issue.

Thanks,

Ismo

Please use plain text.
osaka

Hello,

I try to generate police file to my n8.
In logs i see this kind of error:

Error: Received an error response from VPN gateway 'xxxx..x.x.x..x.' VPN access point NAME-config, error code 14

Error: Failed to activate VPN access point 'NAME', reason code -525

Can You help me with this error?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.