Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Love Beyond All Understanding

Contributor
Roberto_Lim

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charging

This is the same problem I had. Got the phone last night from my carrier. It works for about 15-30 minutes fine after that it starts rebooting or shutting down every few minutes. Let if off overnight, and it followed the same pattern. 

Brough it back to my local carrier (Smart Communications). They saw it a gave me a letter to have it checked by the Nokia Service Center about 20 feet away. They told me they have a replacement unit ready but they need a certification from the Nokia Service Center.

So I take the phone to the Nokia Service Center. So I head of to the Nokia Service Center where they examine the unit and observe that it is continuously rebooting. They tell me they want to open the unit to make sure I did not tamper with the unit and that would take at least an hour. Now add to that the time I spent in line waiting for a customer service representative to be available, and that I will have to again wait in line for the release of the unit, this will take about two hours or so. The time is a serious inconvenience,  but what was worse  was really insulting statement that maybe I tampered with the phone. 

I explained to them that I have had the unit for less than a day and that the warranty sticker is intact. They explain to me that the warranty stickers can be removed and re-applied. It seems so easy for a Nokia customer service representative to accuse a customer of possible fraud. I asked to speak to the manager, and his response was to expedite the certification. Really, now that is besides the point I am no longer concerned about the unit, an apology for the insult would be nice. But the people at Nokia's service center do not seem to comprehend that. Maybe they are used to treating their customers as people who cannot be trusted. That really is a great way to build brand loyalty, treat your customers like criminals.

When the certification comes out, the recommendation says for "software upgrade and parts replacement". Smart Communication's has a seven day outright replacement policy, followed by the one year Nokia Care warranty. Despite the Nokia Service Center recommendation, Smart Communications was willing to give me a brand new unit on the spot. Smart Communication customer service handled the situation in a manner which I find more than acceptable.

Anyway. Explained what happened and that I will take anything but a Nokia. They are giving me a Samsung Galaxy instead. Bye bye Nokia and bye bye Symbian.  I did not care about the inconvenience of having the phone serviced, but with your customer service. Well, I would rather look elsewhere.

It is not just iOS and Android killing your market share. 

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

For everybody's information, the sticker on the back cover of the N8 when supplied new is NOT a warranty sticker, and removing it does not in any way affect your consumer rights - it is simply a protective film made from the same material as those placed over the screen and the camera lens during shipping.

The fact that it contains a label showing some information about the phone is purely for convenience during production and retail phases because the phone may not be opened.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
guilefx

Hi

My C7 is dead. I bought it on December 12 by Amazon, i just want to change it or make an upgrade. How i could know if the next C7 or N8 that i will buy is ok?. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roberto_Lim

I should clarify, Smart Communications, my carrier places a warranty sticker on top of the screw near the button on the bottom left side of the unit.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
noipv4

Is there any way of knowing if a N8 motherboard is manufactured according to the new specification?

I have observed some differences

The reason I am asking is that my first two N8s had front camera that had a shiny golden sheen to it  when looked directly at in ambient light.  Both of the N8s died shortly.

The front camera on the third N8, which I received yesterday,  looks a bit different in the sense that it appears matte black with a tiny lens in the center.

Please use plain text.
Ibelieveinsanta

Hi Folks! I got a new N8 as replacement because of the first N8 died permanently. The joy of the second N8 just ended too soon because it also died after three weeks of use. Last time the service took about four weeks and they changed my phone. What happens with this one? I have a bad feeling, that this won't be the last service trip. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
noipv4

You are not alone :smileyhappy: I am now on my third handset.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

Love Beyond All Understanding

Third handset?!! It is beyond any human understanding then... :smileysad: What the hell are you waiting for? Android 2.3? Or 2.5? Android 2.2, even 2.1 will fit you perfectly, I assure you. All I see here is Nokia desperately fighting its own customers that keep dwindling in number, while the whole creative world is working on Android to make it better day after day. This is what I call revolution! Nokia has offered some S^3 update as soon as... in 1H2011. It's incredible! Android would be in its version 3.5 by that time!  You say all new models might be buggy, etc. Yes, they may. Some of them are. Even the majority is, perhaps. But I don't know any other handset, except for dreaded Siemens SL of the past,  that displayed such a really big trouble as N8. Applying simple statistical laws to this forum alone, one would derive that the ratio of defective N8s is above average at the very least.  And I really cannot explain your surrealistic addiction to this product.......?? Don't you care about your money at all? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Love Beyond All Understanding

Trying to promote your products in a competirtor's support forum? Interesting...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

[ Edited ]

BazilGr, you missed it, my friend! I am a banking employee, money and fx markets, nothing to do with telecoms or any IT in general. I just  see things that I'm unable to understand... Me personally I used many Nokias in the past, now I don't see any reasonable point in doing so anymore.  Nokia is in a deep, deep trouble and no clear recovery strategy has been announced. It lags far behind the market which would be very soon obvipusly dominated by .... Ok, ok, no more words :smileyhappy: I just see trends, my friend, and nothing more!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
golden820

I'm agree with you Mojito, Nokia has a very IMPORTANT PROBLEM. When I can sell my N8, I will buy an android phone(Galaxy S).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
eioua

It's been two weeks since I left my N8 in Nokia Care Center Megamall here in the Philippines. The status is STILL under repair. They will change the board they say... But why are they so long to fixed. . . . it's really frustrating.... Nokia Philippines really sucks when it come to customer service. Their promise are always brocken... sad... :smileysad: I love Nokia.... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roberto_Lim

@Mojito

I have gone the Android route. I am no longer upset. I just was irritated to be treated that way. I owned a Nokia 6600, than an E61i than an E75. Never had to bring them in for warranty. The one time in six year I use my "Nokia Care" warranty, I felt slighted and insulted. 

It was a one day old phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mrz4u

Hmm Nokia claims that the problem should be solved with newer N8-phones. I recieved my new n8 on december the 23. I had to wait two weeks for my supplier to get a new stock.

Sad to say that  after only 14 days of enjoying my new phone, it too went black and dead.

This doesn't quite fit with the problem beeing solved.

I have now sent the phone in for repair - but from reading this discussion i doesn't look to good.

So when will the new and improved version of the n8 reach Denmark??

I have only had Nokia phones and must say this is the first time i experience problems - so come on Nokia and make my day.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cnie

[ Edited ]

How can you tell when your phone is manufactured?

As some of you have seen from my previous posts, I had been waiting for a replacement phone since Nov. 2010.  Jan. 10, I called Nokia Care to check on the status and got a "repair center is waiting for your replacement handset and we don't know when that will be".  Then Jan. 12 I see a box with a handset in it.  It did not come with a box this time, just the handset.

It is a blue one like I wanted, but can anyone help decipher the IMEI number to see when it might be produced?  Just curious if it's a new phone they sent.  If it is new, why did it not come in it's box?  

Wonder if it will die too.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Hi,

Post was edited by the moderator. We kindly ask you not to share your phone's IMEI number publicly on this forum s it is unwise to publish such details on forums like this.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spotter

This sounds familiar, so here's my story about my N8.

I bought my N8 at Nov. 18. It died - sadly enough, only 3½ week later, after restarting itself, had try to reset it too, my laptop couldn't find it etc., but - after 23 hr being dead, and talking to NCC 3 times to be sure about the problem, I did send it for repair, since they didn't have any new for me (and NCC had told me, I should have a new - very confusing ).

It came back to me 5 days later, had been updated and tested. It was repaired, though they haven't seen or heard the failure, and Symbian had  been formatted.

The short trip just resulted in bigger problems, incl. no pics/trailers etc., that was in the phone, when I bought it, just to mention some - even if I tried to check pictures, I only got a black site. The battery now hardly could hold power for 12 hrs, though the phone wasn't used. The next day, I drove out, and send it to repair - again.

This time it took 3½ week, before I had it back again (today) - I still got my "old" phone back (same IMEI), it had only been repaired again, but seemed to have got a new battery. Still - though starting like a brand new phone (choosing language etc), I still don't have any of the pics/trailers in it, neither any of the music, that did come with the phone, when I bought it.

Though I love Nokia, I'm still afraid, that the phone will shut down again (I hardly dare to update anything on it, simply to scared, what will happend next), and I'm not happy with repair over and over .

Therefore,  I'm have the same question. When we will get new N8's to Denmark ?

I was like a little child, when I bought it, but it have passed away, since the problems - sadly, carry on, and I'm without things, which was in my new phone, but disappeared after repair.

I'm on the edge of crying over this, so please -- Make us happy again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

Is anyone who bought N8 in January having the problem? also can anyone confirm if the December manufactured batch is available in stores now?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Roberto_Lim

[ Edited ]

Well, me. I think my phone comes from a "second" batch. Grey was out of stock in December when I wanted to get a new phone from my carrier. Had to wait till January 10, 2011 for stocks to arrive.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Daren

[ Edited ]

I am slightly concerned after reading this topic, I had no idea that N8s had this problem.

I bought my N8 off Ebay last week. It was new and unused (an unwanted upgrade). It's been working fine for the last few days, but I'm concerned that this issue may arise in the future.

Is there any way to tell by looking at your IMEI, etc if your phone hardware is likely to cause this problem, or do I just have to wait and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Daren, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. 99.9% of the more than 4 million N8's that have been sold worldwide work flawlessly. Mine is one of them. So, just enjoy your device and let all those people who continuously troll here (most of them not being real N8 owners) do their job, while N8's sales keep rising... :smileywink:
Please use plain text.