Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Browser, portrait mode qwerty keyboard.

Counsellor

N8 Browser, portrait mode qwerty keyboard.

Hello,

Is nokia going to improve the browser on the N8? it's horrible compared to the droids and the iOS one. Also, will a portrait mode qwerty keyboard be added? I know the screen is not very wide, dunno if it would fit.

I currently have the 5800, and I like it, was thinking about upgrading but if the browser is still a pain....Does the N8 have the same music quality as the 5800? thats what is important for me since I use it as a mp3 player alot.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Nokia has recently stated that the N8 will be receiving a new improved browser and portrait qwerty. Both are expected to arrive in the first quarter of next year but some say the browser may arrive this year. Many other features and improvements are planned too.

Through headphone I personally think the N8's sound quality is better than the 5800's, it can also be louder. Though the phone's speakers the 5800 is better as it has stereo speakers, although the N8's single speaker is still good compared to many phones.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

I read the night update will be in Dec 10th, along with the launch of the E7 (i think it is). once Nokia's latest smart phone is released then there is supposed to be an update to deal with certain stuff. What that will mean i do not know as yet.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The release of the E7 has no bearing on the release of updates for the N8. Also the 10th has never been claimed as a released date for the new update or the E7 (some sites got it wrong, nokia later clarified it).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

psychomania wrote:

Nokia has recently stated that the N8 will be receiving a new improved browser and portrait qwerty. Both are expected to arrive in the first quarter of next year but some say the browser may arrive this year. Many other features and improvements are planned too.

Through headphone I personally think the N8's sound quality is better than the 5800's, it can also be louder. Though the phone's speakers the 5800 is better as it has stereo speakers, although the N8's single speaker is still good compared to many phones.

and they will be adding faster switching from one homescreen to another, kind of like on the n900, where the homescreens follow your finger .(the same thing on androids like on your htc desite psychomania).

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Oddly enough the speed of homescreen switching hasn't bothered me when comparing it to the desire. What has bothered me is the lack of decent widgets available for the N8. I only use two homescreens as I can't find anything worthwhile to put on the third!

One feature I would like to see is the ability for developers to create larger widgets that take up two or three slots.  The current size really limits the possibilities.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

thats sounds like a good idea, and i think you should try the n900, great widgets, different sizes (not all of them can be resized), and they look awesome on 9 different homescreens.
plus maemo5 is just out of this world :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I've tried the N900 and in all honesty I didn't like it at all. Way too bulky, looked dated as soon as it hit the shelves and requires too much time and effort to make the most of it.

It's a great "geek" phone or internet tablet but fails as an everyday device or something that the masses would use.

That's just my opinion so please don't take it personally. I guess it's also unfair to continue to discuss the N900 or android here as this is an N8 topic.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

ok last post here (sorry).
i respect your opinion man, but mine is 100% different as i use my n 900 every day as my main device .
and its awesome, but thats for me.
Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

Check this out,there is coming but when that´s the question

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/08/video-symbian3-draggable-homescreen-portrait-qwerty-keyboard-and-n...

Lousy picture but as you can see there it is

http://twitpic.com/359qfk/full

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ill just hold off until I see the updates implemented.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

Quote "It's a great "geek" phone or internet tablet but fails as an everyday device or something that the masses would use."
I owned it for two months as I am a linux user, so to say, not lost with the command line.
But the N900 has nice features nonetheless. Integrated IM and skype. Skype contacts get merged with the ones in your Contacts. Calendar checks your contacts and shows the birthdays.
I also have the feeling that the media player is more responsive on the n900.

All in all, there must be agreed that the n900 is a geeks phone, but a nice one ;-)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

[ Edited ]

psychomania are you sure?

read this http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/17/new-firmware-for-nokia-n8symbian3-pr1-1-coming-in-a-couple-of-week...

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=34953.0

i dont care what it is, as long as it fixes the bugs. thats expected tho as Nokia woudldnt want a high return rate in the lucrative xmas market.

next update coming with the e7

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

obviously they have said the new browser etc will be out next year, but i wouldn't rule out fireware changes to current browser (which is buggy for a lot of ppl) or stuff like that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

conti1888 wrote:

psychomania are you sure?

read this http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/17/new-firmware-for-nokia-n8symbian3-pr1-1-coming-in-a-couple-of-week...

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=34953.0

i dont care what it is, as long as it fixes the bugs. thats expected tho as Nokia woudldnt want a high return rate in the lucrative xmas market.

next update coming with the e7

That's unofficial speculation, regardless of the credentials of the person saying it.  I prefer to deal in facts when posting here as speculation has a bad habit of raising peoples hopes then upsetting them when it does not happen.

I personally do hope the rumours of a new browser this year are true as the browser is my major personal gripe with the N8.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

According to Eldar Murtazin, the new web browser for Nokia N8 or any other Symbian^3, will arrive in February 2011 with 50 other improvements. Some of the new features will focus on text entry, including split-screen text input, an onscreen keyboard compatible with portrait orientation, and adoption of Swype input technology.

anyone not so confident that Feb will not be poposted, if indeed this is correct :smileyfrustrated:

50 improvements!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Again February is just pure speculation, not fact, plus given Eldar's recent track record you can take everything he says about Nokia with a big pinch of salt.

At least with him saying February it's likely to happen sooner :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

lol:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dshroar

Nokia please provide a way to copy text from web pages while browsing?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

x2 about the copying
Please use plain text.