Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Bugs

Technical Expert

As comes to the issues posted in the first message of this thread, it's true that there's no option in N8-00 to change the location of the message store. The messages are stored in the C: phone memory by default. The removal of the message store location setting has been done intentionally to avoid the eventual issues that might occur if the messages are on the E: mass memory (e.g. access to mass memory may be blocked when connected to PC in mass storage mode). In N8-00 there should not be similar issues with the phone memory running out as in some other devices, so the message store location is therefore preferred to be on C: drive.

For the rejecting of the incoming calls with a message, this has slightly changed in N8-00. To reject a call with message you need to first press the Silence softkey in the lower right corner and then the Send msg. softkey in the same place (the text changes after you press Silence). If the device is already in silent mode (e.g. silent, meeting profile in use), the Send msg. softkey is shown right away in the lower right corner. In the call settings you can define the default message that is sent but you can modify it before actually sending out the message.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

[ Edited ]

Hi pj98,

is this your personal opinion or the official answer of Nokia?

I understand the hidden agenda, but it should leave to the customer, whether they want to use C: or a memory card. If the default setting is C:\, the "novice user" would not have any problems and the "advanced user" would know the "problem".

I'm very unhappy with this new "solution"  - in the next days I'll get the return sticker by Nokia-Shop. Because of the new very unpractical concept of some features, I'll send it back the N8 to Nokia.

I'll check some weeks later, if Nokia has solved the problems. I hope yes, but I like the very clear Touchscreen.

PS: both mentioned points were already pefect at the N97!! I don't understand why Nokia changed them!

B.R.

Tim

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

@timt

Come on man, I can't believe your going to send your phone back just because you can't save your messages anywhere else but the phone memory! I'm planning on getting the N8 and I still don't mind that problem. I survived my N97 memory problem and all that, I'm not planning on keeping a million messages on the phone so I'm not going to have that much problem with that issue, I still think you should reconsider your decision and keep them phone.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LenardG

[ Edited ]

@timt: As you would put/install apps and pics and music in the mass memory rather than the phones memory, I don't really see why the C: drive is not enough for your messaging needs (please do correct me if I am wrong :smileyhappy: ) I regularly use email with big messages and yet to run into any problems (on any Nokias I used so far, including the N8, although I only have a few days of experience with that one)

What PJ98 wrote that if you would change the location to another memory, the phone would be potentially unable to receive messages while in USB mode. Of course you can argue if that is a valid limitation imposed by the software, but I understand why Nokia would go this way. 

Despite smaller bugs I found the N8 has still retained the mentality of previous Symbian phones: I still feel in control of my data and settings (unlike other smartphones, which try to shield even advanced users from advanced settings, IMHO).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

[ Edited ]

Hi LeonardG,

we can discuss this topic day by day, but it won't change my opinion.

I had the N97 before and have the direct comparison.

I didn't use the separate keyboard of the N97 and the touchscreen was not the best, but it had a very good fw. I didn't have any problems and I could decide the message storage myself. The vibration alert was better, the camera had a lens cover and the battery was simply to exchange.

(okay, the last two points were clear before I bought the new phone:-))

I thought Nokia will sell a better N97, coz' they promoted the N8 as new flagship.

Unfortunately it has more bugs than the old N97.

- message storage is fix on C:\

- vibration alert is to weak

- email client shows errors - "fsmailserver: memory full"

- reject call with message only manual possible

- standby time worse than N97 (both devices are side by side)

...I think I'll found some more with the time.

It's a pitty - I wanted only a N97 without keyboard, better touchscreen and xenon flash :-(

Tim

PS: in USB mode the phone would get the messages any longer - in this case on C:\.

This way would be the better one...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nokla8000

that's nice! is nokia N8 is using the multi touch function like Iphone

Please use plain text.
Contributor
karlesg

@ pj98

About the storage of messages in c: Can you please tell us what happens in this case with the attached files of the messages (bluetooth transfer, mms, email)?  Where are these files stored by default? If they are stored by default at first in c: there will be an issue with c: limited capacity for big attached files.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neo1431

@ timt

As has karlesg said :

" About the storage of messages in c: Can you please tell us what happens in this case with the attached files of the messages (bluetooth transfer, mms, email)?  Where are these files stored by default? If they are stored by default at first in c: there will be an issue with c: limited capacity for big attached files."

can you please transfer a music files(~ 5mb) via bluetooth to the N8 from a computer or another mobile phone and see if you can receive the file wihout getting indication "not enough memory"?

since you mention that incoming message are stored in C, bluetooth files will also tend to be stored in C as well,thus there would be not enough space to receive the file.

if in this case,i'll not buy the nokia N8( i am planning to buy 1 in December when i will be Dubai)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n0kia_a5hleyd

I bluetooth'd some files to my phone yesterday and the phone automatically stored the files in the Received folder on the E drive unlike with my 5800 which store the files in the message store until you chose to move them.

If my info has helped you out, exercise your finger on my star.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

...next bug:

the N8 shows always 10% at charging and this until the charging is finished.

tim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tronder007

I'm waiting for my N8 witch i ordered a week ago, and I'm not pleased to find out that Nokia has removed the option to select a diffrent storage location from the default! But it wont make me cancell my order, but I'd really like Nokia to reinstate that feature in a fw uppdate.. I think it would be better if you'd get informaton about this potential problem/issue so that we can decide for our selves if its a "risk" we're willing to take..
Or alternative configure the N8's fw so that it could store messages in the default storage location at times when the mass memory is blocked/unavailable due to a pc mass-storage mode connection..
Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

Hi Tronder007,

I second that! This is the only way and works already perfect at N97!

Tim

Please use plain text.
Contributor
karlesg

I also agree with Tronder007.

I don't know if this is possible "Or alternative configure the N8's fw so that it could store messages in the default storage location at times when the mass memory is blocked/unavailable due to a pc mass-storage mode connection" but you MUST find a workaround for this limitation. This issue should be set on top in your "to do" list for the next firmware update.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Thanks for the feedback and ideas on the message store location! This is an issue that will clearly need to be monitored, so all the feedback is welcome.

As stated by n0kia_a5hleyd above, the bluetooth transmissions are stored on E: drive, so they don't fill the C: drive. Also, when opening an email attachment, you can select to store it in mass memory. The MMS messages go to C: memory.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

Hi admin :-)

and please put a keylock on the todo list.

I already discussed it here.

Tim

Please use plain text.
Sage

Please @admin,

the Nokia blog has published before, see this link, that the nokia messaging foremail is using the E: drive.

http://blogs.nokia.com/messaging/index.php/2010/08/17/a-few-things-to-know-about-email-on-the-nokia-...

Please admin confirm that nokia messaging uses the Mass Storage.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

[ Edited ]

Hi ahmmetwally,

I'm not the admin, but I can confirm it too.

Nokia messsaging for email is a new, separate app. In opposite to the the "old" SMS/MMS client it uses drive E:/.

Bluetoothe'd files will also be stored on E:/

MMS/SMS are fix on C:/

PS: in the same way as I archive my emails, I would like to do it with the SMS and MMS.

Nokias new way (I could choose where the MMS/SMS will be stored on N97/95) is not very helpful. This was the reason for my posting.

Tim

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

I understand that people want to store their sms in a different location. But like admin said, it causes a problem when synced to the computer.

I have experienced said problem with my 6220c whenever I sync it to the computer.

Some people have said that there are some issues with SENDING mms messages, can someone comment on this?
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Advisor
timt

Hi Akuma07,

not all what the admin says is right.

I had never problems with my old  N95 and a N97.

Tim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LenardG

[ Edited ]

@Akuma07

Concerning MMS, please see the following thread:

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-and-mms-bug-with-Vodafone-Italy/td-p/771747

Please use plain text.