Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Counsellor
Battlebird

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

@psychomania

It is not the customers fault that some screens have the tint and it doesn't matter if it is "natural" behaviour of some screens, as long as there are N8s with screens out there that display everything fine it is just not ok. This would be a 2 class community . The ones with perfect looking screens and the ones that must put their screens brightness to maximum( with lower batterylife of course) to get a picture that is still not as good. We all paid the same money so we all have a right on same quality screens!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Battlebird wrote:

@psychomania

It is not the customers fault that some screens have the tint and it doesn't matter if it is "natural" behaviour of some screens, as long as there are N8s with screens out there that display everything fine it is just not ok. This would be a 2 class community . The ones with perfect looking screens and the ones that must put their screens brightness to maximum( with lower batterylife of course) to get a picture that is still not as good. We all paid the same money so we all have a right on same quality screens!

Of course everyone deserves the same quality screen, not once have I said otherwise! I'd love to have one of the "perfect" screens in my N8 but know that just isn't possible due to global demand on screens and the fact that Nokia uses two or three manufacturers. With Nokia not making screens they have to buy from others but not one single supplier can meet nokia's global demand.

Unlike some though I fully understand that my pink tinted screen does not have a physical fault. It was designed this way and even performs this way on some of the screen designers (samsungs) own models! It could well be rectified by software in the future but just like I did on my HTC desire i've learnt to ignore it. I do hope they fix it, i'm not saying that they shouldn't. I'd rather not play Russian roulette by sending my non-faulty phone off to a care point when it does not have a physical fault!

What I am trying to say here is that this is a different issue to the purple screen.  It has a physical defect that cannot be fixed by software.  The only solution to that defect is a replacement screen or device.

Perhaps the most sensible option here would be to separate the two issues?  Those that have a purple screen can demand better service at care points and those with the pink tint can demand a software fix? It's not possible for Nokia to replace all of the pink tint screens with perfect ones so other than that I don't see a solution to this issue?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I have to admit to have not noticed the pink tint on my Samsung Galaxy S until
I used the test image from this thread. I also checked my N8 again and can
just about make out the slightest of pink on some of the lighter grey squares but have never noticed any pink tints under normal use.
As psychomania has stressed more than once if your screen is showing PURPLE as evidenced in the Big clock screen saver, then that is a fault and needs a Nokia care point to sort it out.
As far as I'm concerned the test image is irrelevant because anybody with the
purple problem would already be aware of the fault. The test image just shows up the natural pink under artificial conditions.

All the best.

Ray.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@_smk_ in my experience the handset normally gets sent to Nokia and takes 2 to 3 weeks to be returned/replaced, at least in the UK

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

carman58 wrote:

@_smk_ in my experience the handset normally gets sent to Nokia and takes 2 to 3 weeks to be returned/replaced, at least in the UK

In the UK i've sent two phones (a 5230 & an X6)  to Nokia using the free courier collection service. First one was in December and from the collection day to the delivery day it was exactly 9 days, including the weekend.  The second (in early January) was returned exactly one week after being collected.  Both repaired and in the same condition they left in.

If a care point has to send a phone to a repair centre they tend to only have one or two collection/delivery days each week so delays can be caused whilst the phone is in the shop waiting to be sent off.  

Please use plain text.
Advisor
holzlondon

@vandelay

@psychomania

buxz777 wrote:

so affter original pick up and swap and then 2 door step swaps later i still have the purple tint

this is why i cant understand the mods advice of taking it to a nokia service centre / care point

Going by Buxz777's experience here, I will not travel 160km to my nearest Nokia Care Point or try to sort something out by telephone call to the Service Centre here in Germany (which costs money to call, btw), if all I'm going to get is a refurbished old or even a new phone that still has the same problem. 

This is why I'm contributing to this forum, hoping that Nokia will officially recognise and make a statement on the problem, and that they can and will fix faulty screens.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
borisv

"psychomania" wrote :

"In the UK i've sent two phones (a 5230 & an X6)  to Nokia using the free courier collection service. First one was in December and from the collection day to the delivery day it was exactly 9 days, including the weekend.  The second (in early January) was returned exactly one week after being collected.  Both repaired and in the same condition they left in."

In the UK I've brought my phone - N96 - to Nokia Care Point (even I've read discussions where people sad they phones have been scratched and visibly damaged after they've been serviced ), and after return the phones screen has been badly scratched! Now my N8 has a big problem - no, not purple screen( I've ordered my phone one of the first last october ) - the camera button stopped working. Reading discussions and forums - very common problem. But I DON'T WANT take it to the Care Point because I don't trust them. It's not a Care Point - it's a CARELESS POINT.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

right just to clarify iam not talking about a pink tint

the thread title says purple tint

the purple tint can clearly be seen on

#analouge clock screensaver - slide lock key , press menu clock will show top half of clock purple , it gets better under full brightness but is still there

#qt torch downloaded free from ovi store - the black background looks completley the wrong colour to what it is supposed to be , press the torch button and watch the tint almost dissapear , press the buttn again and watch it come back

midnight silver theme -- theme looks completley different to a n8 with a good screen

tron trailers on mass memory -- the black skys and shadows go a horrible browny/purple colour instead of blending well like they do on good n8s

many other places throughout the ui -- it can be seen many many places and the phone doesnt display the gradients of colour

the fact is if a screen cant display the gradients of colours properly then nokia shouldnt have used it as its not doing its job properley and alot of people would argue its not fit for purpose it was built for (the screen displaying things as it should)

i have never mentioned a pink tint and dont know why it has been bought into this discussion to be fair

everyone that is complaining is complaining about a purple tint that doesnt display the colours properley and cant even display a analouge screensaver correctly

over the last 4 weeks and all the threads i dont think i have ever heard about  a pink n8 screen everyone is talking about the purple tint and the analouge screensaver , the image i have used just shows the tint even clearer

Please use plain text.
Advisor
holzlondon

buxz777 wrote:

^

that!

couldn't agree more.

today is the first time I've heard anything about a pink tint. 

it seems to be distracting from the issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hitesh_Patel

My N8 and cousin's C7, both have purple tint.. Waiting for a solution from nokia....
Please use plain text.
banel

As I said on another board - this is very common behavior for AMOLED screens with PenTile matrix. AMOLED screens can have warm or cold tint. You can see purple, pink or blue tint all over the screen. If you want someone to blame, then blame technology. Do you complain about viewing angles on your TFT monitor with TN+Film display?

Below, you can find two identical C7s. The left one has a problem with purple/pink behavior (screensaver clock, fuzzy looking dark video clips) and the right one has a problem with very evident blue tint (and it can display perfect screensaver clock).

Please use plain text.

Here's my screen. Is it good?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

buxz777 wrote:

the purple tint can clearly be seen on

#analouge clock screensaver - slide lock key , press menu clock will show top half of clock purple , it gets better under full brightness but is still there

#qt torch downloaded free from ovi store - the black background looks completley the wrong colour to what it is supposed to be , press the torch button and watch the tint almost dissapear , press the buttn again and watch it come back

midnight silver theme -- theme looks completley different to a n8 with a good screen

tron trailers on mass memory -- the black skys and shadows go a horrible browny/purple colour instead of blending well like they do on good n8s

many other places throughout the ui -- it can be seen many many places and the phone doesnt display the gradients of colour.

You have started a thread to highlght a known problem with some N8 screens showing purple in place of greys. However, the attached test image will show some people a pink tint and they may confuse that pink for the purple problem being discussed.

Psychomania was merely pointing out that AMOLED screens can have a natural pink hue and shouldn't be confused with the purple problem.

As I already mentioned earlier, if anyone has got the purple problem, then that test image is pointless. A bit like an astray on a motorcycle.

All the best.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

Yeah analouge clock shows it really clear!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Maybe its time for nokia to put up a legitimate test chart or something to that effect to avoid confusion and going off the topic altogether.
If not a visit to your local NCP is the answer until then we must wait and see.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

@ansivan I am sorry to inform you that your screen is also affected.

I  think nokia will never acknowledge this as an issue officially.They have alredy acknowledged N8 faulty motherboard issue.If they acknowledge this one it will cause real shame to them.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

if you read a few posts up its been noted and if you read some more you will see the course of action required..

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I beleive Jimmyireland has provided the solution to this problem, i.e., take your faulty phones to a Nokia Care Point.

There is no other solution, and the more people who have this problem the more likely it will be for Nokia to do something about it.

Cheers.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Very true the more cases they have rather than random complaints it will be noted which i think it now has been .

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
banel

There is no solution here. If you take your "faulty"device to NCC, you will receive another display with color "problem" (maybe the very same problem, or maybe with some other tint).

Please use plain text.