Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Contacts - Facebook integration?

Sage
Akuma07
Accepted Solution

N8 Contacts - Facebook integration?

I remember people talking about this I think.

But how do you integrate your facebook contacts with your phone contacts?

Like, i heard someone say you can have your phone contacts linked to their corresponding facebook, and use their facebook display pictures, as their caller image on your phone.

True?

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blue_crim

True.

There should be "Social networks" button when you click one of your contacts. This will open the social networks app and search your networks, using the First name and Last Name I guess. Once found, you can "long-click" the name then select link to contact. Or you can just go directly to your social networks app then link to contact anyone from your friend's list :smileyhappy:

and yes it uses the facebook profile picture as caller image, though it's downsize

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Patje1968

Hi,

Yes you can use facebook display pictures of your contacts, like this; Select or create a contact you have as friend on facebook.  Tap "social networks" in the left bottom corner of the contact's info, the social networks-app on your N8 will start automaticly and will search for the selected contact in your social networks(facebook and twitter). Once the contact is found select it and tap "add profile". Note that the social  networks-client on your N8 needs to be configured before you can do these actions.

N8-Wizard !!! Click the white star if you are happy with my help !!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Boom!

Thanks guys, i just found it. I havn't fully checked everything out on my N8 yet haha. As soon as i found it, my battery died =[

I wish I could accept both as solution, but you both get kudos!
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Advisor
pcmarsh

This is INCREDIBLY slow!! I have just shy of 1000 contacts - and will not be going through the monotonous task of linking these one-by-one!!

Is there no a simple app or feature update to link to social contacts (facebook, linked in, etc etc) by telephone or email address??

PLEASE Nokia, the N8 is awesome, but you're way behind HTC and Blackberry with some of these more modern features. The social connect and facebook apps are very poor in comparison to friend stream and other similar alternatives.

A simple script could solve this surely?

I am a true Nokia fan and choose the N8 on it's features (over the iPhone ant HTC HD) but there are niggly issues that are starting to manifest regrets in my choice!!! (a very poor ovi suite, issues in syncing, mail for exchange, social features, own voice, no car accessories oem etc)

Please continue working to improve the N8 and allow this phone to be the market changer it should be.

Mobi Developer | Wap-2-Go Mobile CMS - www.wap-2-go.com
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

@pcmarsh,

and how do you expect your phone to figure out which facebook profile (id) belongs to each one of your contacts?

please notice that some people do not use their full name as you may have in your phone contacts, or many facebook profiles have exactly the same name, or some of your facebook friends do not publish their phone number, etc, etc.

you may nevertheless try using the memotoo sync service. it will let pull the facebook profile of your contacts, but only based on the name. this means that you may possibly have a lot of correcting to do, but as a "frist draft" it may be OK.

BTW, if you have some magic way of finding the facebook id of a person given his/her name (as written by yourself in your phone addressbook), then by all means post it here or submit it to nokia for evaluation! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pcmarsh

@reinob

This is very simple actually. Given that you would already be authenticated to access facebook via the API (or other Nokia-Facebook agreement? seen press to this extent) you would have access to both phone numbers (where entered by individual friends) and email addresses (required to open any facebook account).

This would be a very simple (basic basic basic) check - i.e. if [email] or [telephone] match then assign facebook profile to a contact in the phonebook.

Even if this was simply performed to suggest links, you could then go through with a checkbox (check all/uncheck all) to designate which are correct correlations.

Sorry, but I cannot see how this is a difficult feature to incorporate.

BTW/Example - HTC already has this as standard. We purchased both Nokia N8 and HTC Wildfire at the same time (last Monday) and as soon as my partner's contacts were transferred into the (HTC) device all facebook profiles were linked to her contacts (without any manual user action) - there was only one contact who did not have matching name or contact details who had to be manually assigned.

As you suggest there are various discrepancies between individual phonebooks, names, contact details, phone numbers and the corresponding details in facebook profiles - which is why you would incorporate several levels of cross checked to look for likely links.

(The most obvious of course would be both email (how you invite on facebook anyway), telephone number and profile name)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
M0M0zArT

[ Edited ]

Hello,

It should be great to add a function that collects the info about a contact on Facebook (for example real last name, real first name, phone number, postal address [important] and birthday [very important]) and add these info on the contact currently registered in the phone.

For example, currently on the N8, we have the first tab with photo+link to Social Networks+phone number.

On the second tab we could have for example the last status on Facebook [with a sync to get the new status only if you are visiting the second tab], First name, Last name, Phone number, (photo name is useless), Postal address and Birthday. And every time the current date is a birthday, we should have an alarm and an event on the calendar.

I know from a friend that Windows Mobile 7 is doing something similar, you should check it out on Youtube =)

Regards,

P.S. : It could also be nice to have a detail nammed "nickname" in the contact details. And add this entry as defaut when you enter a new contact ;-)

Please use plain text.
newbie0010

i totally agree with you pcmarsh. it really is a hectic job to link each and every account. The social app itself has some issues. i can't use this app if i am using a wireless network which uses a proxy. Nokia should/must come up with something better than this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
pcmarsh

Thank you guys (and girls) - thought I was alone here for a while!!!

In my opinion this is a serious shortfalling that Nokia shoudl rectify before the N8 stocks are resigned to collect dust at the back of the shops filled with iPhones, Windows Mobiles and HTCs that include proper social connectivity (and don't suffer with productivity issues - i.e. syncing).

Please nokia, I am a fan but you need to sort this out to retain respect from the buying community.

As pointed out in the other posts the secondary benefits from better integration would be very useful for all users (e.g. Birthdays, events etc etc).

Whilst at it please consider further adoption of Google buzz/contacts, Windows Live, Yahoo, Skype etc - it would be great to sync our phonebooks/connectivity with all of these platforms.

(At present there is little means to sync your phonebook with multiple sources - this would put you miles ahead of the crowd - though you are starting from a serious backfoot position).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
racerex

If you don't like the manual method of matching contacts to Facebook profile photos there are some automated methods as well.  The tradeoff though is in the flexibility.  This explains more...

http://www.thenokiareport.com/2011/01/two-methods-to-sync-your-contacts.html

Please use plain text.