Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - Issues With Head set

Contributor
diehardzombie

N8 - Issues With Head set

Just received my brand new N8 (dark grey) two days ago. The hand set seems to be working fine. However, I have problems with the headset. The headset that was provided with the handset has facilities to receive and end calls, to pause or play and change between tracks while listening to music and to increase or decrease the volume. While I have no problem listening to music on the headset, no other additional functions are working. When I have the headset jack fixed on my phone and receive any calls the ring sound is seen to be coming on the loudspeaker outside instead of in the ear piece.

Any suggestions or anyone else with the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

this is normal for any nokia when headset is connected .

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
diehardzombie

Is it also normal that I cannot use any of the additional functions provided with the headset except to use it for listening music coz as of now I cannot seem to be having any control over the additional functions of the headset.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

is the headset icon on screen and is the connections all connected correctly ,and yes the loudspeaker will always ring when the headset is connected .

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
diehardzombie

Hi, thank you about the loudspeaker ringing part. Yes when I insert the jack I can see the headset icon on the screen and I also don't think that there is any problem with connecting the jack but I still cannot control the volume, calls or music tracks using the controls on the headset. Thought the headset has manufacturing defect so I tried using a headset from N900 and still could not answer calls using that headset. Is this to do with software of handset.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

it maybe did you try the headset from the n8 on another phone

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
diehardzombie

No but I think I will try doing that. At the moment I am trying to reinstall the software using ovi suite if that makes any difference

Please use plain text.
Contributor
diehardzombie

Seems like the headset is doing fine after I reinstalled the software. Hope it will continue to work same without any problem. Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

your welcome

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Dipso

i usualy got this problem when fiddling too much while connecting my headset on my old n95, making sure to insert the plug firmly and reletively fast avoided it. putting the plug in slow could some times cause issues. i have not had anny issues on my n8, however.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shane_yank

I had this problem with my N8 too, but now solved...

I had set my "default" accessory to be "headphones" because I normally use regular headphones and didnt want to have to specify that everytime I plugged them in (you know that prompt that asks you; headphones, tv-out or music stand). I thought it was a great idea until I then tried to use the Nokia headset.

Whenever I plugged in the Nokia headset, it tells me to use the phone's microphone and it does not accept button presses on the headset or use the microphone. I hoped that the accessory managment software would be smart enough to realise a headset was plugged in. Unfortunately not, thus, when I plugged in the Nokia headset, it only registered as headphones. BOO!

I went back to the accessory settings and set the default to "headset".

Then, when I plugged in the Nokia headset, it gave me the silly prompt! Headphone, tv-out or music stand! Of course, none of the options were "headset" meaning I was still lost...

A magical reboot took care of that :smileyhappy:

To recap, I have the accessory settings deafult set to "headset", which makes everything work fine, but I still have to choose between headphones, tv-out and music stand when I connect something different. I can live with that.

I'm nervous that I had to reboot the device to make it accept the change however. More of the same bugginess with Symbian? I guess that's another conversation...

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kasni

Nokia ppl are elegant duffers.....

for them headset is the one with controls and headphones with no controls .... so change the setting :smileywink:

n the machine do not detect the hardware.... too bad no problemo

go to menu>setting>phone>Accessories and make Headset as default.

Then reinsert ur headset, a pop up will come to choose for headphones,tv out .... Choose none. the headset will will work fine..... if it still do not take the headset n  sound come from speaker reinsert the headset or reboot ur cell ...... it will be fixed :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
delirii

I hope everybody here agree with the fact that this way to get the headset working is not user friendly at all (I mean for the average Joe) and is more a workaround for a bug than a normal procedure...

Anyway, thank you guys for finding a procedure to save people who are stuck with this annoying problem (like I was a few hour ago).

Please use plain text.
avimalya

@diehardzombie..can you please tell me which software did you reinstall? none of the other solutions seems to be working!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Takurumotou

I'm having a similar problem.

None of the solutions work. Reinstalling the software didn't work either.

Need some help here.

Please use plain text.

was having same problem,i shut phone off them turn back on when you see nokia i pluged in headphones.and let it finish turning on,they work everytime now.not sure if this work for you but worth a try

Please use plain text.