Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Mail Client Bug

Counsellor
raph22fr
Accepted Solution

N8 Mail Client Bug

The new mail client is quite awsome, but I noticed some issues : 1) How come you can't use a username that is not your mail adress ? 2) When you delete/move mails using another client (say a webmail or you PC), they stay in the phone inbox until you do a manual sync. That is a big pain when you have many mails. 3) When can you enter POP/IMAP spécific settings ? I didn't find these settings (trying to change smtp port used) I hope you will have answers, or fixes for next fw update !
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LenardG

I wish the topic did not say bug, because these are not actual bugs, and the settings you miss have been changable on previous Nokias as well :smileyhappy: For example, the situation was quite similar on my previous phone, the E72.

1) Start mail application (Menu / Applications / Mail), go into Settings. Select your account. Go into mailbox settings. The setting "My mail address" is what you will send out on emails if you send them from your device. Go into "Advanced mailbox sett." (bottom), then either Incoming or Outgoing settings. You can change your username there.

2) My N8 picks up the changes the next time the phone updates the mail folder. I use Mail for Exchange and two IMAP accounts. I can force a manual update if I want the changes visible right away, or just wait for the next schedules update.

3) Please see point 1 on where you can set these kinds of things like port number for SMTP. In the "Advanced mailbox sett." dialog there is a possibility to set port number, etc.

I do have to admit that the Email Wizard is annoying for users who know exactly what and how they want to setup. I usually try to get through that as fast as possible and then set the rest of the settings by hand.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
raph22fr

Thanks for your reply.

However "Advanced settings" are only available for Mail For Exchange.

It is not available for GMail or Other mailbox types.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
raph22fr

Please use plain text.