Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetoo...

soguk

Re: N8 - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetooth

I've read elsewhere tha th maps team are blaming the firmware team but if that is the case why do other nav apps bluetooth work properly? the playing music workaround is no good for me as it cuts out the bike to bike comms continuously instead of only interrupting when giving instructions...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Paulang

I just bought a Nokia X7 despite discouraging remarks from friends even the sellers. I really regret it. Every now and then an unpleasant surprise is always waiting for me. The phone hangs on boot up. Got a 1 to 1 exchange. Nokia Maps software glitches have to send the replacement phone to Nokia care centre to reset the map software. After it worked, spent $25 on a bluetooth headphone only to realised that it can only answer phone calls but not voice guidance in navigation for ovi maps. Ovi store is a pain to use and I can never figure out how to download apps via my pc in ovisuite as it keeps demanding that i download it from my phone which incurs data charges when my pc have a dedicated broadband. Most of us bought a Nokia for alternate free GPS. Other than that I am sad to say that Iphone and Androids spell death for Nokia. People in Nokia better start peparing for the funeral. There is no hope if you want to make life difficult for Nokia users. RIP

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

To 'flybye88'...

Simplifying from your post up above, to listen to OVI Maps via Bluetooth:

1 - Record a file, with 2 minutes of quiet - no sound.

2 - Save 'quiet.mp3' to your music directory on the phone.

3 - Open the music player and  play 'quiet.mp'

4 - Set music player for continously repeat play

5 - Open and run OVI maps 

6 - Connect blue-tooth device

7 - you will get the sound directions via Bluetooth

Quick question - will this work with N8 both before and after upgrading to 'anna'?

Thanks for posting!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Paulang

Hi Mike

You are a genius, It works. Please note that it will not work if the MP3 file is total silence as it will not trigger the bluetootly  headphones. I took an existing MP3 file from my Nokia X7 memcard/sounds/digital and use audition to cut the DB way down. Thereafter I activated the music player to loop it by repeating the song. Immediately I hear voice guidance thru my bluetooth earpiece. However, when the voice guidance kicks in, the song correspondingly amplified ie. gets louder with the voice guidance. Nevertheless, it is bearable and most important voice guidance is available thru bluetooth. May you live to more than 100 yrs and sorry to folks at Nokia.

Warmest regards

Paul Ang 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
trs55

I've just got the new Nokia 700 with symbian belle and the mapping directions only come out of the phone speaker and not the bluetooth.
My old 5800 could, are we advancing or going backwards??.
Please use plain text.
shippers64

Is there any update on this at all? I have the Nokia N8 and wish to use the maps with Scala G4 bluetooth bike to bike system. Off to Europe shortly and was hoping to use the N8 as my Sat Nav.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

I don't think there is any hope. Somehow they abandoned the Idea! :smileysad:
I hope though that there could be an App to reestablish the bluetooth output...
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Ditto all of the above for FM transmitter too!

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Any idea if this feature was removed by design or by accident?

If by design, why?

If by accident, why hasn't it been fixed?

Ta :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The problem is not the phone or the software, in this case, Belle.      I have N8 and recently updated to Belle and have 2 cars , Mercedes Benz and Mazda and both audio receivers have bluetooth and N8 (Belle) connected with both in a few minutes and get music and direction at the same time .   The navigation direction comes over the music and so there is no interruption of music .     If I want to just drive with direction, I just don't play any music and I get voice from the navigation.

Check your audio receiver and see if there is a driver update for your unit .       My audio receivers have 2 different set of instructions for pairing but in both I have to turn the phone on and enable the bluetooth first before turning the car receiver on to connect .

So one thing is clear and that is N8 and Anna & Belle are not the problem .

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

If you don't listen to any music you don't get directions over Audiospeaker either. We are talking especially about Headsets here. Bluetooth support should be independent of Music play. If bluetooth is on, then all sound from the phone should come from the bluetooth receiver. Carset or Headset. But this is not the case!!!! :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

What about for the FM transmitter, N8 Belle should simply transmit ALL audio to my radio.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I believe it is a matter of software driving the bluetooth device on N8. As I told in this topic /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-don-t-upgrade-to-ANNA-when-you-need-Bluetooth/m-p/1314589#M28... , it seems that the bluetooth device in N8 falls asleep after enebling it (power save or hidden ?) because every time after I connect(message on N8 display : bluetooth headset connected ) to the headset or car unit the first call is muted/not heard (hence answered) and the mesage on N8 is "bluetooth headset activated". The second call is OK. In Anna worked, in Belle no. Why the hell would I want to connect the headset wiyhout being active ??? So, it needs to be triggered by something, in your case you used the music player. This worked without problems with my older Nokia 6710 Navigator (calls, ovi maps routing). One more thing, Garmin is working with voice on bluetooth(at least in Anna, in Belle I did not tried !!! So I guess, the problem lies also in Ovi/Nokia maps...

I never got a relply if there are more people with first bluetooth call not heard, am I the only one ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I've got the latest firmware on my N8 and on my helmet bluetooth, Parrot SK4000.

On my 'phone is Nokia's Maps app and also an old copy of Garmin XT Sat Nav. The Garmin one delivers concise instructions over bluetooth with no further tweaking, the Nokia Maps one doesn't. I even have the Nokia Car Mode app on and even if you go through that it still won't send directions via bluetooth..... crazy .... come on Nokia you can do better than this guys!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Fixed!

Last night I formatted, hard-reset and re-flashed my N8 with Nokia Software Updater.  This morning the car stereo received my Maps' voice guidance via bluetooth.  This hasn't worked for ages so I'm quite happy now.

What's even better is that the N8 rebuild has also fixed the connection issues with Google Maps, Nokia Trailers and Nokia Drop and all three apps now work perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

Well...
If that's the only way to fix the issue there is no way to fix the issue. So what. Galaxy Note is on its way. Goodbye Nokia!!!!
Please use plain text.
BOTUS

the maps and Blutooth bit on an N8 is stupid.

Running latest version of everything Belle Maps etc. and no intructions go to my interphone F5XT blutooth headset (2013 model) which does support  A2DP

My E72 works perfectly Nokia u r a bunch of retards.

The soultion to reset firmware does nothing at all, well done for wasting 2 hrs of my time and 3 gig in map data !!!

Those saying it works you are lying.

As for running a quiet music file over and over I guess must do wonders for battery life !!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]

BOTUS wrote:

My E72 works perfectly Nokia u r a bunch of retards.

Your E72 runs Ovi Maps v3.04 and no issue with Bluetooth voice commands, it is only later versions of Nokia Maps that lost this ability.

Look at comment from Andre Post #16 here: http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/ovi-maps-for-mobile-v3-06/review/13099/update-this-version-is-now-m...

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

I know it's not a solution, but a possible workaround for some might be to connect a patch cord from the phone's headphone jack to the aux input in the car (many recent cars have these). I would hope that the navigation voice guidance would play through the headphonce jack!

As I say, it's just might be possible/acceptable for some.

The lack of that bluetooth limitation is the reason I still prefer to use my N79 for navigation (with maps 3.04).

Please use plain text.