Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetoo...

Counsellor
jezston

N8 - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetooth

Is there any way to route the voice directions from Ovi Maps to bluetooth headphones?

I tried the other day, with music playing from my N8 through my bluetooth headphones the voice directions were still only coming out of the handset itself!

Not much use if I'm using the satnav whilst riding a bicycle! That was one really useful thing I found about my HTC Desire - it would send the directions via the bluetooth headphones if connected, even if music was playing! It would pause the music, say the directions, then start playing again! Sadly then the battery would die before I reached my destination :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

Re: N8 - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetooth

Wow... So glad I finally found someone with exactly the same problem. I bought my N8 yesterday. Before I had a 5800XM. No problems with my Bluetooth Headset there. Now with the N8 I can hear everything on the headset, but no Routing. That speaks on the phones Speaker. What is wrong there.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Same with me

Bluetooth quality on the n8 seems a lot better  than the 5800, using the same pioneer stereo.

But shocked to not hear the maps directions coming out of the pioneer

Please use plain text.

I have the same problem here. the sound from ovi maps is coming from my handset. Is there any solution for this problem allready?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
petteriusa

Nokia, can we have this added in a future release of Ovi Maps or firmware? Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

I had the same feature on my N79. Got a shock to learn the N8 doesn't do it.

The only hope is that they reinstate the feature with a f/w upgrade.

Also, while they're there, message alerts through bluetooth. The come thru at full volume. Deafening!! Why can't alerts come thru at a reduced volume as with most other phones?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

[ Edited ]

petteriusa wrote:

Nokia, can we have this added in a future release of Ovi Maps or firmware? Thank you!

Already reported to the Ovi Maps Team  :smileywink:  Response awaited.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

Any News?

Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

[ Edited ]

JulGer wrote:

Any News?

Yes and no.

I've had an email from the Ovi Maps team requesting some further information and they have said they're looking into it.  I'll keep you posted as/when I hear from them.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

Re: N - Ovi Maps & Routing Speech through Bluetooth

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the quick answer. Well, lets see what the future brings...

Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
bhague

Any news? It has been 3 weeks!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm having the same problem. I can have the phone and music coming through on bluetooth, then when the nav gives a direction it cuts to the phone speaker for it. Once given it returns to the bluetooth connection for the music.

Has anyone heard anything back from Nokia on this yet?

Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

I've not heard anything from them since their last request for further information which I posted previously.

I emailed them yesterday funnily enough asking for an update. I'll post as/when I hear more.
Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JulGer

Now, that there is an firmwareupdate "on route" (for me not, hope it get's up soon for O2 Germany), is there anyone that can say if the problem still exists??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Loutre

I've got the same problem... very very annoying ! Ovi maps is useless for my bluetooth crash helmet. How can it be so long to be fixe by Nokia ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
flybye88

Loutre wrote:

I've got the same problem... very very annoying ! Ovi maps is useless for my bluetooth crash helmet. How can it be so long to be fixe by Nokia ?

I have posted this before but here goes again:- There is a work-around, which is not exactly elegant but at least good enough to use for this safety- relevant feature.

Record a file with 2 mins of quiet/no sound/empty room etc. Save this to your music directory on the phone. Before using the ovi maps open the music player and set this to play the quiet.mp3 continously/repeat. THEN when connecting your blue-tooth device and using the maps you will get the sound directions. This works because idiotically the blue-tooth sound directions are only active when "music" is being played. Which normally is unusable/distracting. If the "music" is in fact at most a light backgroud "hiss..." then this is not so bad.

p.s. One can expect a bit more battery useage this way. Good idea to have a charging facility on your vehicle. In my case with a 125cc Scooter I have built this under the seat. The BT works fine from there so I can use the maps while the N8 is charging.

Stay safe!

ron b.

N8- Motorscooterist.

Please use plain text.
traveler007

It seems as though the issue is still occuring. For me this is an issue because I listen to music with my bluetooth helmet while on my motorcycle, and often go on long (read: get lost) trips. I often have an end point, but not a route that is picked out.

It is now July, and I believe the topic started back in January. Any word from Nokia on this???

~N8~

PS By the way, I'm in the US, so I know Nokia is always latest with their upgrades for we Americans.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@traveler007

Welcome to the forum!

It remains to be seen whether this issue addressed in Symbian Anna to be released hopefully after the summer break but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
soguk

bluetooth still not working with symbian anna, ive looked at every menue I can think of with no luck....

Please use plain text.