Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Symbian Anna 'Encryption Function' what does it...

Advisor
Accepted Solution

N8 Symbian Anna 'Encryption Function' what does it do ?

I think since the Anna update there is the option for Encryption of Phone Memory, Mass Storage and Memory Card. This is via settings/phone/phone management/security settings/encryption.

I've enabled this (and it takes a while to complete depending on how much data you have) but I can still access all data easily via the phone or via OVI suite when attached to a PC with out any prompt for access.

The only thing I can see it does is to force the phone lock on with a password and sets a max time out of 20 mins although you can adjust that downwards. I can't find any info in the phones built in user guide as to what purpose this serves, other than the phone lock with password being set to on, which I could set up anyway. Can anyone enlighten me further, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
martinderm

Re: N8 Symbian Anna 'Encryption Function' what does it do ?

I am at the moment looking for info on Symbian Encryption.

What I recall from the past (S603rd encryption) is that the filesystem is actually encrypted (special hardware built in) and that the phone lock key unlocks the encryption key when the phone is started. 

There is also the possibity to sae the encryption key of the sdhc card.

Does anyone have detailed infos on the encryption system?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hmnt

I've enabled it as well on all 3 storage cards, so far i don't see any performace issues, so it looks promising.. 

Note that you can't access the cards when the lockcode is activated (neither from pc/ovi). 

Just the lock code makes sure that no one can access your phone if lost, but they'll still be able to take out the memory, and put it in another device (easy with sd, slighly more dificult with the build in memory). Encrypting the memory will avoid this, and data can't be accessed. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Ok thanks that explains it's use, although I noticed if the N8 is already connected to your PC or OVI Suite and the phone lock enables after the 20mins default or less that is set, then the files are accessible. But if it is already locked then the files are not accessible when you connect N8 to PC or OVI Suite.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hmnt

yeah that actually makes sence, thinking that some data transfers (like maps) may take more then 20 minutes..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
diamant01

[ Edited ]

Symbian latest phones use hardware encryption. It is not just the lock function that many phones have. If your SD card is encrypted and you remove it, it would be unusable. If you put it into your computer or another phone, it will say card corrupted. If you put it in another Symbian phone, it will say your card is encrypted and ask you to provide a key. The key is saved on your C drive in Others.

Please use plain text.