Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Web browser: Unable to perform operation er...

jajie

N8 Web browser: Unable to perform operation error message

Hi guys..

I am using n8 browser and using google to search. 

while on google results, i cannot go to any site. when i click the link, this error message appear "Web: Unable to perform operation".

how to solve??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rikin

Re: N8 Web browser: Unable to perform operation error message

I have the same problem, dont know how to fix it? So I've downloaded another web browser from Ovi Store, got "Opera Web Browser" or something like that?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
roboheds

This is absolutely doing my nut, any updates on this?

The bizarre thing is the browser can view and search with google fine but as soon as you click on a link in the search the error comes up.

Web: Unable to perform operation

PLEASE HELP NOKIA!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I too tnow have his error message appear "Web: Unable to perform operation".

I can no longer log onto nokia support, however my work web page which is also saved works OK.

Is there a fix?

Would Opera solve it?

Hello Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Further my problem."Web: Unable to perform operation error message"

Ovi sync works as does Movie trailers and software updates.  The problem appears to be web browsing only.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jrbown

[ Edited ]

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

Got my wife a Nokia N8 for Christmas, and everything worked perflectly for about a week. Downloaded a few apps, and a software update. I think everything still worked then. But a few days ago, I noticed this same error - namely "Web: Unable to perform operation". I've done some investigation, and found the following:

1. It ONLY occurs after performing a Google Search using the integrated search function - the results display perfectly, but every time you clik on a link to view the page, then the error "Web: Unable to perform operation" is displayed.
  2. All other web pages, including google itself work perfectly. By this I mean navigate directly to http://www.google.co.uk (or '.com'), enter the same search that you tried using the integrated search function, and this time the links in the Google results page WORK.
  3. The reason the Google result page links don't work when using the integrated search function is that the URLs for them begin "search://" for some reason. So either the N8 has lost the ability to process these links, or something has changed in the QueryString it sends to Google to perform the search, which is now causing "search://" links to be returned instead of "http://" links.
  4. It makes no difference whether operating over a VLAN or (in my case) Orange Internet - i.e. a 3G connection.

The thing is, it did work for a few days. I've tried clearing cookies, temporary files, and all that stuff, but have not done a factory reset.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has an N8 where the integrated Google function does still work - search for e.g. "bbc" - what is the URL in the results list for (say) the first item? In my case it is:

search://C2A/?C2Aid=257&Version=1.0&257=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2F

It is the "search://' bit which is somehow the problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dumma

I have EXACTLY the same Problem that you are facing, Don't know how you resolve it. But YESSSSSSS I have resolved this So Called "Web browser: Unable to perform operation error message" What All you have to do is JUST UNINSTALL any Nokia update you have installed recently or few days back. Uninstall any Application or SOFTWARE or any GAME that you have installed Recently. Remove All your Destination points then Switch OFF your N8 and and Switch ON and then installed the settings that you have have received from your Mobile Operator.

Step for doing the same : Go to Settings ==>> Application Manager ==>> Installed apps. ==>> Click on OPTIONS ==>> View Logs ==> It will show you Installation LOGS, Check for Latest software or application or game that you have Installed. Remove those ALL. Try to browse WEB if its not work then Again go back to Main Menu and go to Settings ==>> Connectivity ==> Settings ==>> Destinations ==>> Internet ==>> then Press on the access Points mentioned there and remove them all. Do the same activity until you remove all the access points. Remove all the access Points from WAP Services and Uncategorised also. Switch OFF your N8 then Switch it ON, install the Web settings again and try to Surf the WEB. It will definitely work....................................... Dumma from India, New Delhi

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

I had the same problem. I disabled the power saving and it worked fine for me.

This setting is under settings --> connectivity -->WLAN -->options -->power saving = disabled.

Rajesh

Please use plain text.
dnazer

go into your browser, go into setting and then general. first option u'll c will name ur network for example for me it showed rogers since i'm in canada. touch that and u'll c three options, 1)network name 2)WAP services 3)Internet.  press internet then hit options and "select". make sure in the main "general" page the first option shows internet. this should fix the problem

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
razib19

I can't browes any web pages on my N8, not even OVI connecting online,

but everything was fine just about 7/8 days ago, **bleep**!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chinukulu

i am also facing the same problem since 2 days, i am unable to browse and and access facebook. i deleted all my connections restarted the phone, and again accessed using the newly created ones, but the problem still exists for n8.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gauravkmragra

when i open web brouser an error showing on screen WEB UNABLE TO PERFORM OPERATION plz do needful

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rob2000

Tried Opera as well. Same thing.

I am at an internet cafe and usually I have to hit accept on one login screen. This was all working fine for about 10 days then stopped.

I HAVE SPENT HOURS TRYING TO fix this and many other bugs in Nokia's software.

Tried:

Wireless Settings as one person stated and made sure that power saving was NOT enabled (Strange though, guess the battery will just drain down faster)

Checking to see that the Options --> Settings --> General --> Access Point (set to Internet and just in case tried other options)  . . . . nothing

Nokia, what are you guys doing there? Your software is bringing your company down.

Really messed up.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rob2000

Someone else had suggested to uninstall any previous software recently added on:

I removed Google Maps as this was the last program added in last three days and this did nothing.

Cleared all Privacy Data

Restarted phone.

Tried:

Ovi --> Web unable to perform operation

Opera --> Your session is invalid.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kvety2010

My internet connection on my nokia N8 had stopped working after connecting to the PC suite and installing maps.

I have tried ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, turning the phone off and on numerous times, making sure internet access point has number 1 priority, all the settings were 100% correct, but i was getting messages like:

"connection failed, try again later" or "unable to perform operation" when i tried doing anything online. Cannot synchronize, not receiving any emails, not even talking about the attempts for opening any websites, not even google search.

Then i read on one of your forums that if i deleted all recent updates and all access points and reinstall these it would fix the problem after turning the phone off and back on.

I have performed all as advised, and STILL NOTHING!!!

WHAT IS WORSE, I HAVE NOW LOST ALL GPRS SETTINGS SO I CANNOT USE THE SAT NAV WHICH I NEED THIS COMING FRIDAY!!!!!!!

The connection information is correct, but the phone does not connect to internet!!!

PLEASE HELP AS I AM NOW DESPERATE!!! DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THIS THING!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rob2000

Buddy,

I feel your pain. This software is just killing Nokia. They had better fix this fast!!

Check out http://tweakker.com/ Apparently you can enter your mobile and find the GPRS settings for it. Though you can always google GPRS for ___ network and that should pull up some options. There is a way to get this from the Nokia but forogt how.

You can also call your mobile operator and tell them to send you the settings via SMS. You just hit accept and it will be stored in your mobile.

If you're really upset with the phone and decide to wipe it, then the option to add GPRS will automatically be there. But I'm guessing that you don't want to do that. :smileyhappy:

Best of luck.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Joshuamelwani

I know the solution. If your using Wi-fi, go to connection manager in setting, disconnect your wifi connection and recconnect to it again.

Then try to browse. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pepya2

SOLUTION FOR N8 Web browser: Unable to perform operation error message

SOLUTION found, visit http://eastudents.blogspot.com thanks.
Please use plain text.
civico030

How about throwing the bloody thing out of the window?

If I have to deinstall and reinstall everything on the phone just for the browser to work, I might as well just change to another device that just does work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rob2000

[ Edited ]

I totally feel your pain. My phone is CONSTANTLY malfunctioning and Nokia keeps giving me the same old excuse.

They had better clean up their phones before they go out of business. Android and iPhone are kicking their butts in the market and all Nokia has to show for it all is 'quality hardware' 

Regarding the connectivity issue, what I did is (PUT YOUR ACTIVE SIM CARD IN)

Menu --> Settings --> Connectivity --> Settings --> Destinations --> Change 'wi_fi' to have lowest possible priority and make sure you don't accidentally hit the wireless scan on the menu.

I had to figure this out for myself as Nokia's support is absolute, when I call, it is not clear on the phone (believe it or not) and their English is so horrible.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:  We would like to inform you that we have edited your post. Please refrain from using inappropriate words  for us to maintain a friendly environment on this public forum.

Additionally, if you wish to make your feelings known to Nokia directly, we suggest that you use the 'Contact us' link at the top of the page or contact your local Nokia Care line.

http://www.nokiausa.com/

Please use plain text.