Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 camera: question for Nokia team (Damian Din...

Sage
Accepted Solution

N8 camera: question for Nokia team (Damian Dinning)

First: I love my N8, including it's camera.

I am an enthusiast photographer, both with my phone (N82 for last 3 years, now N8) and dedicated camera.

Now to the point: in several situations, N8 seems to add some "bluish fog" to the picture, sometimes even on screen before taking the picture. I'd attaching 2 pictures, taken using the very same settings (full auto), just changing a little bit the angle. There are inside a house, no external factors...

I'd like to hear different opinions about what happened.

Signed: a huge Nokia fan :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

Re: N8 camera: question for Nokia team (Damian Dinning)

id double check all n8 settings, because most n8 takes pictures far better than that. I have never ever got a red eye with mines.

nice posing btw :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

Most of my pictures are far better :smileywink: ; I did'n use red eye reduction because I wanted to minimize the time needed to take picture. Preffer to eliminate that in PC...

I used default settings, nothing different. Can you please post a picture taken in similar conditions (one low light source posted somehow behind the subject, subject at approx. 1.5 meters)?

Tnx for your comment!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

I really don't know how you managed to get that picture lol hey your happy with your N8 over all so thats what matters right?

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I had the same problem with flash-picutres. Reason: My distance between finger and flash  was to short. The flashlight reflects on it and the picture was overexposed...

Please use plain text.
Sage

I took into account that thing (it happened for me also first day), but I had same problems on some pictures with no flash.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Oh, I discover some more... In a room with single light source (a light bulb), open the camera and move N8 slowly on different angles. On some positions, a blue tint appears on screen (and on photo if I make it).
Anyone else get same results?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

There's a discussion at Esato on this topic (here) where they blame the chrome decoration on the case around the lense.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hmmm...could be. In that case, it seems more like a misuse in certain conditions than a design flaw to me...
I would really appreciate some comments about that from Damian's team, maybe some practical advices from experienced photographers?
Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

conti1888 wrote:

id double check all n8 settings, because most n8 takes pictures far better than that. I have never ever got a red eye with mines.

nice posing btw :smileyvery-happy:

I think recent nokia smarts phones only take better photos when photos are taken in a broad daylight (or at least when lighting is bright enough)...otherwise, they behave differently when in a room that is not well lighted.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

adrianzagar wrote:

First: I love my N8, including it's camera.

I am an enthusiast photographer, both with my phone (N82 for last 3 years, now N8) and dedicated camera.

Now to the point: in several situations, N8 seems to add some "bluish fog" to the picture, sometimes even on screen before taking the picture. I'd attaching 2 pictures, taken using the very same settings (full auto), just changing a little bit the angle. There are inside a house, no external factors...

I'd like to hear different opinions about what happened.

Signed: a huge Nokia fan :smileyhappy:

that is definitely glare into the lens. i would have thought most likely from the flash.

if you have your left hand near the flash or lens then the bounce back would do it.

it could be an external light source bouncing into the lens from the chroming. but you would be able see it in the preview.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Oh My God!!!! You're perfectly right. I was able to clearly reproduce/eliminate the problem. I did the same picture on light bulb in several ways:

1. Flash on (auto). the picture was glared (foggy) if any of my left-hand fingers was more than 1 cm in "front" of the camera. Completely outside of the picture, but still reflecting the flash. Any time I get my hand completely behind the N8 (keeping it using just 2 fingers, and of course the right hand), the picture was good.

2. Flash off. One room, a single light source (well, 2 light bulbs in the same region). If I move gently the N8, always with tle light source outside the view, it is a certain position when the screen get the fog (more pale, but blue fog). If shoot in that position, the fog persist in the picture. Easy to reproduce. If changing the angle just a little, the fog is gone from screen (and from photo).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

perhaps we should color the chrome ring black...with pen etc...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
CaptainDXB

hmm, I can reproduce this also, but I'm afraid that this is not the reflekting ring, but the cover glass from the lens. It seems that the cover glass is not coated in a high quality, and it seems that they calculate the space between the glass and the lens in a wrong way. If you open the cam lid and inspect the lens for reflections you can clearly see the reflection of the glass in the lens if light comes from a short angle.

This is realy a bad news, because it makes the cam unusable under some light conditions.

Cu
DXB
Please use plain text.
Sage

I think it's usable in every condition, but must pay attention.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CaptainDXB

I'm afraid it isn't. Yesterday I used the cam in in a workshop just to take some photos from a flipchart. After uploding the photos to my notebook what do you think I found? All writings had small shadows that look like refections. Ok you can say this this could be also a compression artefact, but honestly speaking I don't believe this - and even if - then this is really damn poor performance of the codec and make the nice lens and the 12 mpix more then useless. My old X1 with it's poor 3 mpix cam did that job better... I was really disappointed after finding out this.  

cu

DXB

Please use plain text.
stansutcliffe

I had similar problems but after comparing my N* with another I found that there was still a plastic cover on the actual lens. This is obvious when compared to others as it is clearly tinted blue!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
davidfjak82

Hello,

I had terrible low light photos with flash, very foggy and gray. Thought my phone was defective. But I just had to remove the plastic film of the lens and flash. Now everything is fine.

Regards

Please use plain text.