Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - can you disable auto lock? AND is there a fac...

Contributor

N8 - can you disable auto lock? AND is there a facility to add a password lock?

Greetings One and All

I've got 2 questions relating to my new Nokia N8 that have been bugging me which I can't seem to find an answer for online so thought I'd try my luck here...

1. Is it possible to disable the AutoLock feature? I don't mind the screen going black after a period of inactivity, but I like to keep my phone on my desk and periodically tap the screen to wake it up/check it, so it's frustrating I now have to use the slider to unlock the screen instead.

This feature was selectable on my old 5800 so it seems strange to take options away from customers?

2. Is there a way of setting up an iPhone style 'unlock' when using the slider? By this, I mean is there a way of setting your phone so that when you use the side slider to lock your keypad, you then have to enter a pin code to wake it up again when you use the slider to unlock? This would surely be a good safety feature if you lost your phone or would at least be an effective way of stopping prying eyes from having a nosey in your personal messages...!

As mentioned, these are features that are easily available on other phones so it seems a shame if they aren't available on the N8?

Thanks for your time.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: N8 - can you disable auto lock? AND is there a facility to add a password lock?

1.  Menu > Settings and Phone > Display > Screen/keylock time-out... set to 'NONE'...

2. Select Menu > Settings and Phone > Phone management > Security> Phone and SIM card....Lock code, and enter a lock code. A minimum of 4 characters is required, and numbers, symbols, and upper and lower case letters can be used..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: N8 - can you disable auto lock? AND is there a facility to add a password lock?

Hi - thanks for your reply... however...

"1.  Menu > Settings and Phone > Display > Screen/keylock time-out... set to 'NONE'..."

The option to set to NONE is not there? I can set it using an on screen slider from 1 minute - 30 minutes before it will auto lock, but there is no option to turn this feature off as there was on my 5800 and as this suggests?

Unless I'm doing it wrong?

"2. Select Menu > Settings and Phone > Phone management > Security> Phone and SIM card....Lock code, and enter a lock code. A minimum of 4 characters is required, and numbers, symbols, and upper and lower case letters can be used.."

Can someone tell me the difference between "PIN code request - OFF" and "Phone autolock period - NONE" please?

I have set my Lock Code and then tried to enter it in the Pin Code Request field but its now telling me I've one more chance to enter it before it'll lock my Sim?!

Is the PIN code request On/Off function different from the Phone Autolock Period Function? And if so, what do they both do??

Apologies if these are silly questions...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

1. You are not doing anything wrong..( I just followed the options from my Nokia 5800xm)

2. PIN code is in reference with SIM locking.. so in settings.. Keep PIN code request to OFF.. If you set phone auto lock period to None.. means it will not get locked automatically.. but if you set a Lock code then when you lock the phone manually (Refer Pg. 109 of http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_N8-00_UG_en.pdf ) it will as for the code...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

there are slide to unlock apps in the ovi store,

theres another fingerprint one, that in truth is a counter that will only unlock the phone if the screen is held for the corect number of beats

Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK.

Thanks for replies guys.

So - it is not possible to turn off the screen/keylock time-out setting like it was on my older phone?

Strange decision for Nokia to implement! It's only a little thing I guess to have to unlock the phone each time to wake it up, but when all I want to do (and all I previously had to do!) is just touch the screen if I hadn't actually chosen to lock the screen, this seems a bit of a backwards step.

I mean, if I want to lock my screen to stop it from accidentally calling someone or to save battery etc... then I'll lock it! If I want to keep it on my desk and just touch the screen to wake it up, that should also be possible surely.

OK. Rant over.

As an aside, does anyone know if you can set the phone to request the Lock Code only when accessing specific apps?

For example, I can set it to ask for a password to protect my music or messages but let people have free access to other features on my phone...?

If not, there should be!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Melon Advance Device Lock Pro is on of the applications.. (Google for it ).. I saw a version for S^3...

This may be the one you are looking for..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spenny

The autolock function doesn't work on my N8. Tried changing the length of time from 1 minute to 2. Waited the required time then touched the screen to find that the phone wasn't locked. It's rather annoying. I usually lock it myself anyway. My nokia 6220 classic locked itself without any problem. Maybe I am missing something but i'm 99% sure I am doing it properly.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SITI87hajar

You can't disable the auto lock function on the N8 like what you can do with the Nokia 5800XM or Nokia 5530XM. My Nokia 5800 and 5530 is capable of doing this but my N8 can't. I hope that Nokia will fix this matter via firmware update.

Nokia 3310, 8250, 6070, 6060, 3120, 1110, 1280, 5300 XpressMusic, N76, 6120 classic, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, N900, C3-00, N8-00, N9, 700, X2-01, Asha 302, Lumia 610, Lumia 920, Asha 501, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1520... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Foffe

Urmun > Are you using Mail for Exchange? I've experienced the same problem - not being able to disable the autolock feature. But I think now that it is actually my Exchange-server that is configured to demand this feature to be active through "Exchange ActiveSync security
policies".

Oddly enough; Nokias own support first stated that it could not be my problem, since "Only E-series phones use this this function". But after presenting this to them they changed treir mind..  :smileyhappy:

http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Find_products/Nokia_for_Business/pdf/Mail_for_Exchange_Da...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

It's definitely Mail for Exchange related. I had my IT guy at work set mine up today for my work emails and it started asking for a password. (it also deleted all my contacts! Suspect that was his fault) But more infuriatingly wouldn’t allow me to not set one up. I’ve deleted my Mail for Exchange account but it’s still locking it. Bloody frustrating when using the sat nav!

Sort it out Nokia/Symbian!

Awesome phone, but very shoddy (read **bleep**) software!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wellsy123

Hi,

Did anyone figure this out? Disable keylock function on Nokia N8.

Is it related to Mail for Exchange?

Or is the only way to turn it off to use an 'external/additional" application?

Please advise Nokia. I can't believe you would have removed the functionality to turn off/disable auto keylock...especially on a  new device.

If i've missed something above, please forgive me.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Business Manager - 3 Nokia N8's on our busines splan

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nope. There is no disable. It's the same on the newest firmware. I want to be able to disable the keylock but have the screensaver cut in as normal but there just isn't an option to do this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

but mine(N8) has option to set the autolock period to none. Let me explain it all to you:smileyhappy:

Light Timeout(setting>phone>display): will control when your phone's light will start to dim and turn off WITHOUT locking it.
Screen/keylock timeout(setting>phone>display): controls when your phone will autolock it self BUT this is only screen lock without code needed.
Phone Autolock Period(setting>phone>phone management>security setting>phone and simcard): controls when your phone will autolock with code.

Somehow after typing this, i figured you can't set screenlock to none :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
joe1612

Hi,
Unfortunately, disabling the keylock is not available. However, I would like to highlight that you can unlock by pressing the menu button and touchin "unlock" if you prefer not to use the physical slider. The screen right after pressing the menu button allows you to check for missed calls or messages and to check upcoming meetings. This allows you to keep the phone on a desk and check events (like I always do :smileyhappy:.
Joe
Please use plain text.
Contributor

evrybody, I figured out how to disable the autolock:smileyhappy: not by accident but because I was frustrated that my N8 has become laggy. I use activefile app which is a file manager that is good to use. I noticed that Ting! App can make your phone laggy. To continue, I went to the tasks and saw ting running in background even though I closed it. Then I remembered that an autolock app also runs there. I usually don't touch system apps, but I tried closing the autolock app. It works :smileyhappy:. I think you can also use xplore but remember you need to sign it. Activefile needs signing too..

--using N8
Please use plain text.
Contributor

well just be sure you close the right app. Don't mess with system apps. Now my N8 is fine again. Feedbacks are welcome
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I noticed the sleepscreen cannot show most of the notifications 'coz it lights up when there is a notification :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rolfsnolf

[ Edited ]

ihateme16 wrote:
I noticed the sleepscreen cannot show most of the notifications 'coz it lights up when there is a notification :smileyhappy:

they should still be busy with the sleepscreen to implement showing more notifications, imo its the fastest way to check missed calls etc 

nokia sleeping screen the app is called if i am right nokia betalabs you can download it from maybe also from ovi

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mukesh170971

massage box lock in nokia n8

like samsung phone , in nokia n8 sms box lock available?

if yes , how?

pl reply

Please use plain text.