Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - disappointing battery life

Sage
lanita

[ Edited ]

I've tried removing the mem card, but it made no difference in the battery's autonomy...

Since everything else seems to be working ok, I am reducing the possible cause of the problem to two options:

1 - the battery is faulty

2 - the battery isn't charging properly, despite the battery full message that appears on screen (phone connector problem, or something like that...)

What do you think?

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Try uninstalling some stuff, before I got 1.5 - 2 days of battery time.

I uninstalled topApps and a few other things and now I'm into my 3'rd day without charging and still got 50% left.

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

ljung wrote:

Try uninstalling some stuff, before I got 1.5 - 2 days of battery time.

I uninstalled topApps and a few other things and now I'm into my 3'rd day without charging and still got 50% left.

I've been uninstalling most of my apps, because I was afraid that something could be draining the battery, but at one point, I just don't know what I can, or cannot uninstall without causing problems to the phone...

What apps did you remove, and which ones do you suggest removing?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

first one to go is the battery monitor, and widgets that update often are usually the ones responsible for the drainning: facebook, weather widget, news widgets.... actually anything that updates all by itself can cause this :email, notifications, .....
and remember this happens for all smartphones, no exeptions.
Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
denisstadler

Maximum 34 hours. This phone (N8) is becoming a BIG waiste of MONEY!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

My previous phone was an E72 it used to sometimes last 10 days with decent usage. At the same level of usage my N8 lasts 2 days. Here are some comparison with energy profiler

E72

average over 1 minute idle current (phone locked display off)

5 mA battery is 1500 mAH

email set to sync over wifi every 30 mins

psiloc weather update every 6 hours

when display is on current consumption is 50 mA

N8

average over 1 minute idle current (phone locked display off)

6mA battery is 1200 mAH

email set to sync over wifi every 30 mins

psiloc weather update every 6 hours

when display is on current consumption is 100mA (this is high but again display is bigger and is touch)

from the math it should last at least 4-5 days okay worst case 3 days

it does not even last 2 days

looks to me a power problem, or battery is not fully charging the circuitry is shutting off early?

Nokia are you listening?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

skshandilya wrote:

Nokia are you listening?

it looks like they are LISTENING

:smileywink:

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

lol sadly that announcement was way before this, but I sure hope they going to add something to fix this issue. Even the N97 had better battery life lol.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
mgmed03

hi again all... ive had my n8 for a week now, and found the culprit on my fone to be the micro sd card, which is possibly the 80% 'other' showing on the batt monitor. my battery after a full charge is now going on the 3rd day and 2hr.... with 3 bars still remaining. however, i have taken my fone back to the dealer (3) and they will replace the whole fone saying that i still may have a faulty battery. i asked them, what happens if it does the same thing, and i got a hopefully genuine response of we'll change it to another fone. the new stock for the n8 comes on monday so fingers crossed this will be the fone i am paying for!
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

[ Edited ]

mgmed03 wrote:
hi again all... ive had my n8 for a week now, and found the culprit on my fone to be the micro sd card, which is possibly the 80% 'other' showing on the batt monitor. my battery after a full charge is now going on the 3rd day and 2hr.... with 3 bars still remaining. however, i have taken my fone back to the dealer (3) and they will replace the whole fone saying that i still may have a faulty battery. i asked them, what happens if it does the same thing, and i got a hopefully genuine response of we'll change it to another fone. the new stock for the n8 comes on monday so fingers crossed this will be the fone i am paying for!
Hopefully the new one won't have a problem.

Can I ask from which country have you bought your N8 from?

What is the brand, size and class of the micro SD you were using on your N8? 

Please use plain text.
mgmed03

@lanita.... purchased mine in australia, and the sd card is a 2gb sandisk. my batt showed fully charged, but after taking out the sd card, my battery started charging again. i swear on my fone there must be some electrical connection.
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

[ Edited ]

mgmed03 wrote:
@lanita.... purchased mine in australia, and the sd card is a 2gb sandisk. my batt showed fully charged, but after taking out the sd card, my battery started charging again. i swear on my fone there must be some electrical connection.

I'm not doubting in any way what you're saying. I'm just curious...

Have you tried using a different microSD card, to check if it is in fact that card that causes the battery life problem, instead of any microSD card you put in the slot?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stewart_01

I'm very sceptical that uninstall applications / or even too many installed applications can reduce the battery life.

The battery life will only be affected if apps are actually running...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Okay, I uninstalled Battery Monitor, and am back up to roughly 60 hours battery life again.

Hilarious....

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Hi Akuma - is that all you did?  Amazing if it is the case that the Battery Monitor drains the battery!!!!!!  What a total ******. :smileymad:

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Akuma07 wrote:

Okay, I uninstalled Battery Monitor, and am back up to roughly 60 hours battery life again.

Hilarious....

Well, it seems like my next test will be uninstalling the NBM and see if it shows any battery life improvement

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sumitsonu1

Hey guys i also uninstalled Nokia Battery Monitor ...
Now m getting 2 days of Battery backup ......
I had already told u that uninstalling NBM will improve ur Battery backup.....
Just try once n see the difference ...........
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Well, it seems that I will not be able to try the removal of the NBM...

After fully recharging my phone at about 2:40am, I just looked at the phone now, 3:59am, and it seems to be dead...

It does not respond to the power button... I guess my device was part of the "small number" of defective N8s...

What a nightmare... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage

I don't know if someone already posted this but i noticed a weird behavior today and because its new to me i would like to share it with you.

On my N8 i use the Nokia Battery Monitor for more than two weeks. It shows current standby time and battery level in percent (among other information). Fully charged i got a standby time of around 2 days and 20 hours.

Ok, today my device turned off because of a depleted battery. I charged it with the original charger and didn't touched it while charging. As it was fully charged it beeped and the charging led turned off. I checked it and noticed that the Symbian battery level indicator showed 7 bars and 100 % but i only got a standby time of around 1 day and some hours. Battery Monitor also revealed that the battery was charged to 83 % only and not 100 % like Symbian told.

I used the device for one or two minutes to lower the battery level and plugged in the charger again. Now the device doesn't stopped charging after one or two minutes, instead it charged 30 minutes!!

After it was fully charged i re-checked it and now i got a standby time of around 2 days 20 hours. Battery Monitor also shows that the battery is charged to 100 %. Needless to say that the Symbian battery level showed 7 bars / 100 % too.

Nokia Bug Tracking System @ http://dev.an3k.de/bugtracker/
Please use plain text.
Advisor
stewart_01

Uninstalling applications will not improve battery life. Applications can only affect battery life if they are running.

"I've been uninstalling most of my apps, because I was afraid that something could be draining the battery, but at one point, I just don't know what I can, or cannot uninstall without causing problems to the phone...

What apps did you remove, and which ones do you suggest removing?"

Please use plain text.