Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - don't upgrade to ANNA when you need Bluet...

Counsellor
MiNa123
Accepted Solution

N8 - don't upgrade to ANNA when you need Bluetooth

Bluetooth pairing doesn't work with N8 Anna. You cannot make connections to a PC with OVI Suite, nor to your car nor to a headset.  This makes the phone almost useless. No adress synchronisation, no kalendar synch, no task synch.

USB cable is no solution. You cannot always plug-in a cable and remove it.

Apparently this bug was overlooked in testing. Therefore, if you rely on bluetooth, do not upgrade until Nokia has fixed it.

One good thing with ANNA - you can still make phone calls.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: N8 - don't upgrade to ANNA when you need Bluetooth

I can do all of the above over Bluetooth, incl. connect to different carkits and headsets, with my N8 on Symbian Anna.

Apparently this is a bug specific to your handset. I would start with reinstalling Anna and the subsequent updates 1/2 and 2/2.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

It never ceases to amaze me when one person has a problem with their device, then automatically assumes everyone else must have the same issue.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
simulationtr

The Bluetooth is fine. Suggest you reinstall.
the only issue I have seen posted is that maps don't use the Bluetooth headset, which is a problem for cyclists
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MiNa123

Apparently there are a lot other others with the same probleme. Why don't you look under the forum connectivity.

The problem with Bluetooth is that when you seek your mobile form OVI suite, the two cannot be paired since the pairing dialogue doesn't work on the mobile. The mobile does not react with the dialogue for ID.

I have the E72, the E61i and the N82. They all work perfectly. The N8 did work before the upgrade to Anna. Nokia should allow a downgrade until a fix comes out. This would take out a lot of pressure for the development team.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich_enduro

I must admit, bluetooth worked perfectly before anna. now my phone no longer connects to my laptop, it complains of missing drivers. no matter how many times i re-install the ovi suite, it won't work. then my car sterio used to connect perfectly whenever i got in. now whenever i get in the car, the last piece of music played on the phone starts playing on the car, no matter what source the head unit was originally playing. from other messages on the forum, it does seem clear that something has gone wrong with the anna update and bluetooth?

Nokia lumia 800(3 UK payg)

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

This is seems rather odd, are you able to connect your N8 using a different computer to see if could run the update one more time (re-install)? if this option is out of reach. please bring your N8 to your nearest Nokia care point for a fresh install of the Anna software.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/store-finder?nStoreTypes=470

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MiNa123

[ Edited ]

I finally solved it by reseting with *#7370#.

The reinstall with all the maps, email, SIP etc  took me almost 5 hours. I did not reload the backup by purpose.

I lost all my downloded apps. Need for Speed disappeared. There is no way to get NFS back.

The ANNA upgrade apparently failed in this repect.

Sometime it is misleading to read al the problems. You loose the big picture. It would be helpfull for example if Nokia people would jump in and point out that specific features indeed do work.

Thanks for all your help.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
kingblue

Did you buy the NFS via Ovi Store ?
If yes, you can send me a private message with your Ovi username, and your mobile number, then I'll be able to send you the application again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MiNa123

Thank you, KingBlue, for offering help. It was on my mobile when I bought it

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

MiNa123 wrote:

Thank you, KingBlue, for offering help. It was on my mobile when I bought it

Same here. However, since reading your post I tried launching NFS Shift and got this error message:

"could not find s3e.icf, either embedded or as an external file".

Everyday that passes with this N8 since the Anna upgrade shows how rubbish the update really was.

It's caused more problems than it's supposed to have fixed.

Cheers

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MiNa123

[ Edited ]

rayhipkiss wrote:

Everyday that passes with this N8 since the Anna upgrade shows how rubbish the update really was.

It's caused more problems than it's supposed to have fixed.

Cheers

Ray 

I agree. If there would be an official way I would downgrade.

EMAIL is another issue. I cannot tell my Vodafone Email box to use POP. The access is created with IMAP and no matter what you change in the server settings and the ports (no OVI push), only IMAP works. The same holds true for my T-Online account. It is created automatically for POP3. You cannot change it ito IMAP. This behaviour is good for a novice if all goes automaticly, but for an 30 year IT veteran it' s a nightmare. . Before ANNA I had all the freedom.

It was such a good phone before ANNA. You only realize it when it is too late. There is actually nothing that you can do more and better with ANNA with the exception of touch. With ANNA you have to touch twice instead of 3 times -). It would be great if Nokia would allow to downgrade. Hopefully Nokia makes BELLE a little bit better.

Cheers

Michael

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

MiNa123 wrote:

EMAIL is another issue. I cannot tell my Vodafone Email box to use POP. The access is created with IMAP and no matter what you change in the server settings and the ports (no OVI push), only IMAP works. The same holds true for my T-Online account. It is created automatically for POP3. You cannot change it ito IMAP. This behaviour is good for a novice if all goes automaticly, but for an 30 year IT veteran it' s a nightmare. . Before ANNA I had all the freedom.

I have not had any problem setting up POP accounts both before and after Anna on an N8.

Have you used the usual approach of declining the offered Nokia terms of service at the start of the setup so that you do not end up on their mail servers, entered your own provider's servers and ports, exited then gone back to make sure they are correct. This has always worked for me.

Alternatively, as you say you are an IT veteran, have you tried using the Nokia Configuration Tool which is available in the Nokia Beta Labs web site and which works fine with the N8 for me.

Regarding your original warning about bluetooth, again I (and I believe most) have had no problem after updating to Anna on the N8 (tested here on XP and Win 7, 32 & 64 bit) so it may be something in your local environment.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

Guys, where are you?! Are you in the USA? How I don't see any upgrades on my N8?! Where did you get Anna from? I cannot get it neither through OTA nor through OVI Suite

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dee_Jay

After upgraded to Anna, my NFS works fine...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

With Anna I rarely had some calls where people cannot hear me or I cannot hear them on a LG 7700 car unit. With Belle I get always first 1-2 calls without sound, but the call remain active. Afterthat it goes ok. Could be also from the cold (we have -5 C to -20 C nowadays). Moreover, even with my Jabra JX-10 happens this, and sometimes I cannot connect witout restarting my N8. Also in Anna sometimes I could not stop/start an active connection, the bluetooth screen/menu was frozen, the same now ijn Belle.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

It's becoming frustrating for me to have every first call MUTED (cannot hear/be heard) after the bluetooth connection with car audio or a headset. After the connection is made, during the first call(ringing phase) I get the message bluetooth headset activated. What is meaning "activated" when I am already connected ??? And the proof is that I can listed music from the phone player on my car hifi. First call does reduce radio volume when ringing, but no ringing tone heard ! And the call opens but no sound at all. And the second call usually works OK. In Anna I did not had this problem.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I expected a feedback from some of the forum users that use a bluetooth headset or car hifi, or even from a Nokia guy. After all calling is a base service of a phone set and if a simple connection with a bluetooth headeset is not working well, what's the use of discussing deeper problems of non-telephonic apps. Please test a bluetooth headset, cause in Anna this worked. It it not normal that the first call to be not heard.
Please use plain text.