Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - how do I remove a MMS profile?

Counsellor
llaadd

N8 - how do I remove a MMS profile?

Hi,

I have a nokia N8, but for some reason when I put my o2 Pay as you go SIM into it, it automatically set it's self up with the o2 contract WAP and MMS settings, but when I went into the device to try to delete the incorrect MMS profile, I can't find it in destinations (Settings > connectivity > settings > destinations), I can see Internet and Wap services but no MMS folder. If I try to create a folder called MMS is says one exists!

Now if I go into: Messaging > Options > Settings > Multimedia Message > Access point in use

it shows this contract MMS profile which I do not want (not possible to edit or delete from here, only select one)

The reason I want to delete is because other applications keep trying to connect to the internet using the MMS settings instead of the other default connection I set.

I have attached an collections of a few screenshots so you can see what I mean.

Thank you in advance.

P.S.. This phone just came back from Nokia repair and they re-flashed the phone but that did not resolve this particular issue.

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SpecK73

Re: N8 - how do I remove a MMS profile?

My N8 also does not have an MMS destination listed and if I try to do as you say and create one I also get the 'Name already in use' error.

So let's assume that the MMS destination exists, that it's hidden and that this is normal.

Your problem now appears to be one of destination priorities. Your applications are defaulting to your MMS destination in an attempt to reach the Internet.

I have two Internet destinations on my N8. One is for Wi-fi and the other is for the 3G connection courtesy of my service provider. The Wi-fi is priority 1 and the 3G destination is priority 2. This configuration works perfectly for me. I suggest that you try and emulate it. If your configuration already resembles this then I would try deleting all of the visible destinations and then adding them back in one at a time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

[ Edited ]

Hi,

thanks, I have tried this but it does not seem to make a difference.

As you can see in the picture I attached, the internet profile is set as default, and on every other Nokia I have had this has told the phone to connect to that profile, but it would seem that this phantom MMS profile is somehow has a higher priority then this!

I am a long term and advanced Symbian user, I have had virtually every major one since release and know them inside out, it's only after having this phone for months with this issue that I finally called it quits and decided to ask for help!

Thanks in advance if anyone has any other suggestions.

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Looking at your screen shots shows that you have a duplicate entry called O2 Prepay WAP.

One is in Internet, the other is in WAP Services. Delete the one in WAP Services.

Also you have an Uncatergorised entry, but you don't mention what is in that one. Can you post back with info on that please?

Also try this. Menu > Web > Options > Settings > General > Access point set to internet.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you look at the bottom left screen shot, the uncategorised one is where i have manually added the prepay MMS settings, that is what is in there!

In the web settings I have set it to internet for default connection.

the reason I have a duplicate for o2 prepay wap is becuase I want certain applications to only use wap, and not wifi so although most applications will use wifi, and if not available wap via the internet group, some will only use wap through the wap group.

hope this clarifies why i have set it up like this.

Hiren.

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

My apologies, I didn't scroll down to see the other screen shots.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ant2ant

try asking o2 to send you the access settings if possible and this should reset the access points ( this worked with vodafone when I had coonection problems)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

it's not that, tried and does not work, I have got setting sent to phone and entered manually, still no luck.

Hopefully it's something that is fixed in next software PR 2.0

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Contributor
menyelek

MMS Access point is automaticly set to hidden by default.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

[ Edited ]

I wish they just left this how it was on S50 5th, S60 3rd, etc, where you can change it when the phone doesn't get it right!

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

menyelek wrote:
MMS Access point is automaticly set to hidden by default.

Not on the vanilla phones

Mine with a voda sim has 3 destinations

Internet

Wap

Multimedia

The Multimedia contains the contract MMS apn

perhaps an o2 thing ?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

perhaps a uk thing, as my phone is from Nokia online shop, as a sim-free phone, so nothing should be on there.

why do they have region/network specific software, big time waste for them when they can be working on fixing issues.

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jalsa777

hey, llaad.

i have the exact same issue,

did you find a solution to it ??

even i am a long term and avanced symbian user, tried all things except a hard reset.

Also, even if nokia chose to make that AP hidden, why is the phone allowing other applications to use that AP??

it should be reserved for MMS only

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

jalsa777 wrote:

hey, llaad.

i have the exact same issue,

did you find a solution to it ??

even i am a long term and avanced symbian user, tried all things except a hard reset.

Also, even if nokia chose to make that AP hidden, why is the phone allowing other applications to use that AP??

it should be reserved for MMS only

unfortunetly not, hopefully just something they fix in PR2.0

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oeoeo

don't try the hard reset, it doesn't work, the unremovable AP still there

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

oeoeo wrote:

don't try the hard reset, it doesn't work, the unremovable AP still there

I know, I already made that mistake and had to send the phone in to get it re-flashed!

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CMGeorgen

change settings/application settings/positioning/position server/serversettings/access point ==> set to "Internet" not to "mms"!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaadd

CMGeorgen wrote:

change settings/application settings/positioning/position server/serversettings/access point ==> set to "Internet" not to "mms"!!

lol, and you think I havn't already done this? I have quite litterally gone through every possible menu on the phone and changed every where I can to the other profile!

It's a bug or more likely "the way they have done it" in Symbian^3

LLAADD
Please use plain text.
ChenZheChina

Exactly same problem!

I had a wrong access point AT&T MMS in my phone and I cannot delete it..

I am using T-Mobile now so I could set the default MMS access point to T-Mobile MMS and it works, but I just want to delete the wrong "AT&T MMS" access point. However it is nowhere to be found!

Please use plain text.