Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 music player leaves room for improvement...

Sage
branu

this discussion is on so many post...N95 music player is so much better then the one in N8..no chance to edit the equalizer,like You wanna have It and the search is no good either...so many complaint about this so i´ll hope they fix this immideately...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

I think it would be nice to see the kbit/s rate in the middle under the progressbar in N8 music player. :smileyhappy:

N8 FW: 022.014 -- Please separate Artist & Albums!
N86 8MP FW: 30.009 -- We need a new FW on this phone!
E51 FW: 410.34.001
E70 FW: 2.0618.07.10 -- Why no v3 for my code?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I would have to agree, the N8 media player is a backward step. How difficult would it have been to have

-artists

-genres

-albums

-playlists

Just like the previous incarnations of N series we are used to.

Whilst we are at it, it would be nice - once this has been fixed - is to allow an album view under genres (like most other media players)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
somemadcaaant

Hey,

I have yet to find anywhere for any1 asking for a lock screen widget for the media player like android/iphone phones, is this function in the N8 media player anywhere?

Interactive lock screen controls for the media player when playing songs.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

what is an interactive lock screen control.

the word interactive seems superfluous.

the n8 has a lock screen slider.
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
somemadcaaant

"what is an interactive lock screen control.

the word interactive seems superfluous.

the n8 has a lock screen slider"

-As in media player controls u can touch on the lock screen, instead of having to unlock the phone, type in password, then find the right home screen... to pause, fast forward, stop etc.

All new phones have this functionality, very handy and not superfluous by any standard lol

N8 media player lock screen shows song info only play status.

Also how ugly is the media player, is there any way to skin the buttons/widget? Is there a better media player out yet?

-smc

Please use plain text.
Contributor
albin16

Can we also please have a "Search" feature in the Music Player. Its there in my N82. I cant understand why it isnt available on the N8

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

- When u select a track in the list and go to the player screen, if you then come back to the track list, the pointer should remain on the track that is currently playing. Instead of this it returns to the top of the list. Very frustrating if u have lots of songs and totally useless.

- Why does the artist/song name text displayed on the player screen stops scrolling after 1 pass only? It should keep on scrolling and there should be a setting for this.

- Sort by Rating ("stars"), by popularity ("most played", "never played") etc... Give us ALL the options.

- When there's only one track in an album it should start directly when selected. Instead of this, it opens the folder, u have to select that one track again, then it starts to play. Or press 2 secs for the popup menu and select play (double action waste of time).

- The "next track" and  "previous track" buttons on the player screen should always work, not only inside an album!!! again waste of time. Call back the N95 programming team or take advice from others.

- Equalizer user settings.

- Animated graphics like N95 color soundbars and oscilloscope.

For the rest, sound quality is really top notch even compared to the best dedicated players. Bass are so deep and tight, mids and highs are so wide and detailed, the stereo separation is exceptional, distortion is very low and dynamics very high. Only maximum volume is a bit on the low side. Nevermind, with good earphones, you get easily totally lost in music, which was absolutely not the case with N95. And this is was counts most. Again the hardware saves it all...

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

Thundermax wrote:

- When u select a track in the list and go to the player screen, if you then come back to the track list, the pointer should remain on the track that is currently playing. Instead of this it returns to the top of the list. Very frustrating if u have lots of songs and totally useless.

- Why does the artist/song name text displayed on the player screen stops scrolling after 1 pass only? It should keep on scrolling and there should be a setting for this.

- Sort by Rating ("stars"), by popularity ("most played", "never played") etc... Give us ALL the options.

- When there's only one track in an album it should start directly when selected. Instead of this, it opens the folder, u have to select that one track again, then it starts to play. Or press 2 secs for the popup menu and select play (double action waste of time).

- The "next track" and  "previous track" buttons on the player screen should always work, not only inside an album!!! again waste of time. Call back the N95 programming team or take advice from others.

- Equalizer user settings.

- Animated graphics like N95 color soundbars and oscilloscope.

For the rest, sound quality is really top notch even compared to the best dedicated players. Bass are so deep and tight, mids and highs are so wide and detailed, the stereo separation is exceptional, distortion is very low and dynamics very high. Only maximum volume is a bit on the low side. Nevermind, with good earphones, you get easily totally lost in music, which was absolutely not the case with N95. And this is was counts most. Again the hardware saves it all...

All very good points, and I completely agree!

I definitely think the FF and REW buttons should just skip to the next track. Once the tracks from one album have been played to the end, it should then move along to the next album in the list, rather than just stop.

I also agree that any album with a single track in it should be played automatically, although this doesn't really bother me so much. It would be nice to have this feature, but it's a luxury and Nokia have other music player problems to sort out before they mess around doing things like this

I definitely agree that the "cursor" should always return to the same point in the song title list, rather than returning to the top everytime you access the music player. It annoys me so much having to keep scrolling down to the end of the list, and when you have nearly 8,000 tracks stored on the device, it can become quite the chore.

I really think they could do with a shortcut or search feature in the music player. Even just a pop-up alphabet (Overlay, NOT a separate keyboard screen!) so you can skip to artists / song titles stating with a specific letter easily

The equaliser I have already mentioned - They should certainly match the functions of older products as a pre-requisite, as the N8 feels as if we're going backward in terms of functionality

Lastly, the maximum volume. This is something we have no control over regardless of how much we complain. Nokia just can't improve on this due to the stupid EU law which restricts the maximum output volume. Nokia's hands are tied by bureaucrats in Brussels

Personally I believe that we should have the ability to make our own decisions. They should implement a passcode feature for those who so wished to exceed the EU recommended volume, where you would have to maybe contact Nokia in order to get them to delimit the device - On the condition that you accept all liability for any potential damage it could cause

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

The way I solved the "all songs by one artist" problem is to create a playlist under "artist and songs" option from the menu. During palylist creation there is a prompt to add songs to the playlist and then the player does group all songs for each artist. You just need to expand the artist name and click on all of the artist's songs one-by-one (I did not found to select them in one click). If you see multiple groupings for the same artist, of course, there is some problem with the info in the files. Fix it in the computer or on the phone.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nikmyr

I would really like the possibility to set bookmarks within the player. For example when listening to audio books. Then you can switch to music and still be able to find the point where you stopped listening to your book.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

My complain is very different, but maybe someone gives me a piece of advice. I have 20GB of MP3. It is all organized by folders (no playbills, artist or whatever). The reason is that I was collecting the music over 20 years and it is coming from all possible sources. Moreover, I combine records in a folder myself very often. This simple thing prevents me from using N8 music player. I had the same problem with my N82, but managed to overcome it buying 'Core Player' for $30 (for this one simple stupid thing - open the folder!!!). They don't currently support Symbian ^3. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
somemadcaaant

Advise to you is simply wait for some one to code a media player with folder browsing options or code it yourself. I'd like this functionality as well and it will probably come in the future, just a waiting game (hopefully).

Maybe Nullsoft will port Winamp to Symbian 3... one can dream.

-smc

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

[ Edited ]

My personal wishlist regarding the MP3 player:

1) Allow selection of FOLDERS to play. This way you may organize your library at the PC without that nagging process of creating playlsts.

2) Custom EQ settings.

3) Setting for switching off the cover view completely; takes just too much screen space better used for displaying more files.

4) Jump to the song presently playing if touching the "back" button.

5) Clearly indicate the song presently playing in the list.

6) CRANK UP THE VOLUME ! It is of NO help if you're listening to audio books while walking on the streets but don't understand a single word because the traffic is far louder. If some sick EU/EC regulations are the cause, give us a code or a secret menu for compensating this brain disease. Buying other headphones is a solution as good as holding an iPhone in a different way to compensate for the Antennagate bug: No solution at all.

7) Add a bookmark feature. VERY handy if listening to audio books.

8) Rework the "Loudness" feature - it just doesn't amplify lower and higher frequencies; it uses some strange algorithm causing a vital loss of quality, adding quantization noise.

9) Add a sort option - alphabetic, date, size, tag.

10) Add a feature for entering the position to start the playback at - e. g. 1:23:56. Some audio files are quite large, up to several hours play time. In such cases the tiny progress bar's resolution is just too coarse for skipping to the right position.

11) Remove a bug causing the N8's volume controls showing NO impact on the volume of A2DP BT headsets.

12) Several other things I just forgot. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

I am releaved to hear that 'open folder' is a concern for many people. Maybe one day Nokia does it. I asume it would be trivial to implement.

WinAmp on N8 would be great.

gvp

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nowplaying

Yes, agree with the title of the topic. Better organizing and a small graphic eq would be very welcome. I do any organizing on the pc then 'usb' it over using file manager. I use mp3tag > www.mp3tag.de a lot to clean up track info so that it all shows up where it should on the phone. In general, the sound is very good, and the fm transmitter is a winner.

Please use plain text.
Sage

There is also the problem if you you have two albums named the same ie. "Greatest hits" by two different artists they will get mashed together. :smileysad:
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spikeinc

yeah i agree strongly. i have every metallica album on mine and cant shuffle through all of their songs because you cant search/play just by artist on my iphone i did all the time.

its a major let down because im happy with the rest of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

[ Edited ]

I would be nice to see the clock on the top off "Now playing"

N8 FW: 022.014 -- Please separate Artist & Albums!
N86 8MP FW: 30.009 -- We need a new FW on this phone!
E51 FW: 410.34.001
E70 FW: 2.0618.07.10 -- Why no v3 for my code?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

There's a folder browser/manager in N8. U can use it to browse your directories and cards the way they were originally arranged. Just keep both applications open as you will have to toggle between them. Would be easier to browse original folders straight from the music player app...

Please use plain text.