Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 owners, your help is needed!

Advisor
MrZlob
Accepted Solution

N8 owners, your help is needed!

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping that at least few of the N8 owners here will help me with a little experiment.

Since I'm VERY, read VERY concerned about the battery of this blamed for smart cameraphone brick (yeah, I'm actually hoping to get one myself very soon), I need some preliminary data first.

On my *old* E52 (which can jump-start a truck, BTW, and last for ages) I got a small Nokia program called 'Energy Profiler'. Bet you all know it.

Thing is, with latest firmware (51.018), factory reset, no programs running in background, no screensaver, default theme energy saver ON, dual mode of operation (currently UMTS), no BT, no WLAN, I got 10mA steady drain. That's what the 'Energy Profiler' says when the keyboard is auto-locked and the display goes off.

Now divide the battery capacity of 1500mAh to these lovely 10mA current drain and we get 150h (hours!) of standby mode. Guess what, my E52 really can go for 6 days in this mode. You can actually see some spikes on the graph that 'Energy Profiler' provides, but that's when the phone listens to it's own paging group.

So, I'm asking you guys, if this app is also available for the N8, to run a similar experiment and post your results here. No need to be exactly the same scenario. I'd just appreciate your honest replies. Just mention what settings you use and a long-term current drain after the phone is locked and the display is no longer lit.

I'll post my sample results later.

Thanks to all who respond to this!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The app is available for the N8. The N8 will run s60v5 version of Energy profiler.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

Nice! 10x man!

Now we're just waiting for some helpful folks to show us the path... :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

Well I have loaded it.  Haven't tried to optimise power as you did, so

WLAN on

Connected to 3G with good strong signal

Closed all multitasking from the mulitask menu.

Wallpapers etc still on and no power saving mode.

When I run under these conditions I get a figure of 0.38 W on the powersave graph.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Actuelly i get this error when trying to get it through ovi store http://store.ovi.com/content/17374

"Sorry, this item is not available for the Nokia N8-00.
Browse more great content in the "Related" section below. "

Maybe can install it if link is provided to a sisx.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

Thanks!

Yet if we assume a 3.7V battery (correct?) this yields a 100mA current is being drawn in that moment. Could you please confirm this when you switch to 'current drawn' mode?

If I'm right, you should be charging your phone every 12 hours... Hope this in not the case!

Can you turn the WLAN off, just to check the results?

Also, IMHO a battery should go at least 5 cycles of complete discharge/complete charge, in order to make a claims like 'Mine works for 5h and dies!'. Yep, that's some offtopic but nice to know, IMHO again...

So, anyone else?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

Activated offline profile profile and powersave ...

it is now drawing 0.32 W showing on the graph, though when the acreen goes into screen saver and then I reactivate the graph, the line has dropped almost to 0 W  (not sure if this just means its not recording when not showing on the screen ?)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

ljung, dunno how to help you with this one... :smileysad:

What if you try to reach it via the integrated N8 Ovi store client?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

During power save and WLAN off, in Amp mode it shows approximately 80 mA draw.

Not familiar with this program..so still playing to see how it works LOL

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

ljung, dunno how to help you with this one

Use the attached program, just run it from windows while connected to your N8 with OVI suite (I downloaded it from an online repository) :smileyhappy:

You need to change the file extension from .jpg back to .sisx   (it wouldn't upload on here otherwise) :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I got it installed just changed to a n97mini and sent an direct link sms from ovi store.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

@drandywright, 02:56 PM

Actually the offline profile means 'don't connect to a network', thus no real deal here.

The power saver is great IMHO. I love it very much on my E52.

It's normal to go to 0 when the light goes off. As far as I can see, the accuracy of the Watt-meter is just 2 digits after the decimal point. I don't know how to switch to Ampere-meter (works when I press '6' on my keyboard. It cycles through various modes) on the touchscreen devices, but it shall give a greater accuracy (in the mA range, which is actually sufficient for our needs).

Also, you can explicitly tell the Profiler to record the data for later use. It produces some small files placed in 'Juice'-something folder on my E52. More details to come soon!

Anyway, 10x for the help so far!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

Yes...I know the Offline mode stops it connecting to the 3G and WLAN networks....had to do this as every time I disconnected the WLAN, it reconnected again ...even when I set it to manual LOL

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

OMG!

Gotta be some setting or some persistent app, trying to get to a WLAN...

Shame on the Finns otherwise...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Please note that though indeed AMOLED is less of a power user than TFT screens like on the E52, it's sheer size on the N8 and the touch screen technology more than offsets this and thus the N8 will lose power quite fast compared to non touch phones.

Other tests have taken N8 to last 2 days straight, however from what I gather, that test did not have N8 using widgets that are actively online. On the whole I would expect a moderate user of the phone to have to charge once every day, or once every one and a half days depending on usage.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

Must admit, the WLAN works great except two thigs ...

1. No easy way to turn it off except in offline mode which also loses your network connection.  If you tell it to disconnect, it just reconnects again..even in manual mode.

2.  I have yet to figure out how to guarentee that when in my house or other known WLAN area, the phone uses that for data, and when outside it should use my 3G connection.  The automatic setting dosn't seem to work, as when it this mode, it uses the 3G, even when I am in range on my WLAN. At the moment, I tell it to use WLAN when in home network always, except when out when I have to change it to automatic...a real pain in the **bleep** !

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

On a power usage front, i use my phone for web browsing, calling, podcasts and game playing on and off all day and have 4 online widgets for news/weather..

So far, I typically have to charge by mid-day on the second day as it is down to about 10% power by then, whcih considering what i am doing seems quite reasonable to me :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrZlob

[ Edited ]

Please note that though indeed AMOLED is less of a power user than TFT screens like on the E52, it's sheer size on the N8 and the touch screen technology more than offsets this and thus the N8 will lose power quite fast compared to non touch phones.

Other tests have taken N8 to last 2 days straight, however from what I gather, that test did not have N8 using widgets that are actively online. On the whole I would expect a moderate user of the phone to have to charge once every day, or once every one and a half days depending on usage.

Yes, but just few lines of the other threads here (about the N8) made my hair dizzy!

I got exactly the same problem with E66. I have colleagues with this one (E66) and they are easily getting 4 days with low usage. When I bought one, I was barely able to bring it home, so I could charge it! It was replaced (ghee, this alone cost me a liver) and voila, here we go again!

Then I saw the forum and I realized that a very large number of guys were 'fried' with this E66.

Just don't plan doing the same mistake again. A net current amount being drawn is more than a factor for me. It'd show me how much 'raw power' the N8 got. Of course if I start playing games and videos, etc. the global picture changes. But it's ME who choose what and when to run. The latter could be a subject of a SW optimization, but if the core has it illness, Thor help us.

P.S. When I'm usually buying something, I'm paying more attention to the negative reviews and opinions and not the spec sheet. If something is flawed by design (deliberately or not) not much of it's spec sheet will convince me otherwise...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@dandywright - The settings to use WLAN are within the apps themselves I think. For example, Nimbuzz has a setting to use WLAN whenever available.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drandywright

Yes it appears so, which is a nuisance, as I want to be able to control my data usage on 3G globally.

On my iPhone I could set the priority to WLAN , so if it connected on WLAN, everything would use that until I wandered out of range, at which point it switched to 3G automatically.  This is how I believe a lot of people want it to act

Please use plain text.