Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 "Unable to install" error message, almost n...

Contributor
windtlker

N8 "Unable to install" error message, almost no apps listed under installed apps list

I am not able to install any programs on my Nokia N8, not from Ovi store nor ones downloaded elsewhere. In settings, under the installed apps list I have under 10 apps listed, a few of the default apps and only 1 app of the several apps I've installed. SW update on the phone after an unnormally very long time gives an error message "Refreshing failed. Try again later". Trying to check for updates from Ovi Suite with my N8 connected to the PC also gives an error message, with an error code 12048.

I noticed this error after trying to install I think Nokia Liveview from Beta Labs a few days ago. I had problems with Beta Labs apps before so I ignored it. But now I noticed any application installation causes this same error message. I get to the point where you get to choose to which memory to install the program but after that I get this "unable to install" error. I came abroad for a longer period of time around 10 days ago, and while abroad I installed Soundtracker from Beta Labs, and Google Maps on wifi, and between installing these apps and trying to install Liveview I got a local dataplan.

I am not able to install not to C: as well as not to E:. Both of these drives have free space. I do not have any memory card. Also, Soundtracker did appear in the installed apps list, so I tried to uninstall it, no affect. Google maps is not shown on this list.

Now all the current apps work fine, no problems, the phone works fine. I'm a little afraid of trying to make a backup and the wipe out everything and restore, cause I've seen messages about this kind of a problem persisting even after a hard reset. I dont wanna end up with a phone without any apps when the next time I'm back in Finland (where I purchased the phone and where the repair is, I dont think here in Israel I could get my phone fixed under warranty) in 3 months.

Is this problem familiar? I tried searching google for hours but didnt find any solutions.

Finally, here's the list of my installed apps:

CCN Video

E!

Jokerit Live (installed from Ovi)

Movie Teasers

Nat Geo

ovi

Ovi Store

Social

SSOUI

SSOUsernameWidget

Thanks a bunch!

Please use plain text.
Topekaz

Re: N8 "Unable to install" error message, almost no apps listed under installed apps list

i had same problem with my C7 but still able to install small sized apps (below 1Mb). i think the culprit is the missing installer. during installation, sometimes some apps with installer couldn't finish the installation because of the disconnected internet line. then during uninstallation, i removed the installer and that's when the problem started. my only solution is to hard reset the phone and i manage to install apps like it supposed to. hope this help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
windtlker

Re: N8 "Unable to install" error message, almost no apps listed under installed apps list

Topekaz wrote:

i had same problem with my C7 but still able to install small sized apps (below 1Mb). i think the culprit is the missing installer. during installation, sometimes some apps with installer couldn't finish the installation because of the disconnected internet line. then during uninstallation, i removed the installer and that's when the problem started. my only solution is to hard reset the phone and i manage to install apps like it supposed to. hope this help.

Morning and thanks for the answer Topekaz! I attempted to install a 81kb program from Ovi Store and unfortunately the same error message still persists. And I do not remember any installation that stopped before finishing, all my recent installations went fine, except for of course when this error message started showing up like this.

I forgot to say that I have Symbian Anna installed, but I didnt install it recently. Just in case I also tried some of the solutions in the Symbian Anna related solution thread, I tried installing these 3 QT related files but the same unable to install appears. The same thing with trying to install the fix for java apps not working.

Thanks again for Topekaz and for anybody who could help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
windtlker

Now Google Maps suddenly wont work. When I try to start it up it closes after one second. Sometimes I get to see the map screen for a second, usually not. This morning I was able to see it even for 5 seconds before it closed itself. Now also I've noticed the phone booting itself by itself.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

@windtlker

Personally I would back all of your phone data up and then perform a factory delete and restore.

Settings - Phone - Phone management - Factory Settings - Delete and Restore.

This should reset your phone back to it's initial setting out of the factory.

As you say, you will need to reinstall your apps again, however if a software has developed a glitch since you first bought the phone, your phone should be restored prior to this point.

If this doesn't cure the problem, you may have to go into Nokia Suite and reflash the firmware.

I'm not sure about whether the warranty on your phone is transferable, however I don't suppose it could hurt to contact your nearest Nokia Care Point and see what they advise?

Hope this is of help.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Hey Windtlker, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

Apologies for the problems you have been experiencing with your N8.

Have you tried installing the Store QML from betalabs? Please try install it and try reinstall all your applications using the new Store QML application.

If you are having troubles with your PC recognizing your N8 I suggest performing a hard reset, however try backup as much information as you can by using mass storage mode when connected via USB.

The code to hard reset is *#7370# security code 12345 by default if asked.

I hope this helps and I hope this solves your issue, please get back to me if you issue persists.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
rajeevtkomar

:smileysad: I too am facing the same problem! I received my N8 yesterday and updated the software (It came with anna and Ovi suite detected some map associated updates). Many of the apps from the store doesn't install at all. But some did. And it was not related to size of the  app. I could install 12MB big Bejewelled 2 HD but 2MB Nokia Sleeping Screen wouldn't install. Similarly I couldn't install Nokia Battery Monitor but Nokia Big Screen got installed. Same applies for many other apps. I tried installing both through PC and WLAN. No use.

It starts installing, when halfway through, another windows opens stating Preparing installation. Then Error message Installation Failed!

I absolutely liked the phone. But this behaviour is **bleep** me off! Please check what is the problem.

Please use plain text.
rajeevtkomar

I hard reset my phone. Still no use. Same problem. It starts 'Installing', in between stops and 'Preparing Installation' window comes up and then 'Download error'!!

What is this?? It is frustrating :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
rajeevtkomar

Hi.. I installed the Store QML from betalabs.

I tried installing the apps and it worked! I tried installing three apps which were giving download errors with Ovi Suite and Previous store app. All three got installed (Nokia Sleeping Screen, Nokia Battery Monitor, Converter app). Have to try the others. Hope they too get installed.

This means there is some kind of a bug in Ovi Suite. Let the development team know about it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seductive

Hi, I am having the same problem. 

I've already tried with the Store QML update from betalabs (twice) and still nothing ? Any advice !?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

When receiving a 12048 error, It is normal that the phone loses connection during the reboot phase.

If you wait for a while it will automatically reconnect to your PC. If you lose connection during the backup, installation or restore phase, please do the following:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from your phone
  2. Press your phone’s power button for about 10 seconds
  3. Reconnect the USB cable
  4. Wait for the installation to continue 

Note: If this doesn’t solve your issues, try to connect your phone to another USB port on your laptop or to a USB port on the backside of your desktop PC. In some cases rebooting the computer also helps or using another PC to do the update.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
ydelso

To solve the problem I have reinstalled the update, you can try this.
Please use plain text.
ganima

enternal error problem while downloading app.
Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

Remove the file called  "Nokia Smart Installer" in Setting/Installation/Already Installed/

Please use plain text.