Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps free...

Contributor
finland

N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing

My N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL.

Applications are freezing, crashing, the phone is self restarting.

I see memory phone of 256 MB full with USB connected to PC.

When I look inside the folders, nothing in some, no large file in others.

1. Why the phone memory is full?

I did not install apps on the C drive aka phone memory, I did not put photos, videos or anything there, I don't use email.

2. Why I cannot find the files that occupy the memory?

No large file can be seen.

3. Is this the cause of phone auto restarting and the cause some applications are crashing, closing in front of my eyes or in the background?

Why when I receive a simple call and I have only a game open after the call ends the game is already crashed / closed?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL -- apps freezing

How many emails do you have on the phone and have you tried clearing the cache on your web browser ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

@Carman58, FYI emails on N8 are stored on Mass Memory by default.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
finland

To have the phone memory full - is this normal?

I did not setup an email yet, but where are the emails stored, in what folder, and where is the web-browser cache stored, in what folder?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Scorpi11

[ Edited ]

finland wrote:

> My N8 "phone memory C drive" is FULL.

> Applications are freezing, crashing, the phone is self restarting. 

*rotfl* It looks like the Nokias bleeding edge Smartphone still suffers from the same old problems as the old S60 cr*p did.

> I see memory phone of 256 MB full with USB connected to PC.

> When I look inside the folders, nothing in some, no large file in others.

Maybe they are just hidden so you can not see them via USB.

> 1. Why the phone memory is full?

> I did not install apps on the C drive aka phone memory, I did not put photos, videos or

> anything there, I don't use email.

On my S60 3rd device, I could easily fill up the C: drive by just uploading some pictures using the WebDAV client (called "Remote Drives" on my Nokia). They are put into a hidden cache on C:, and not removed after this. I queried Nokia about this, but did not get any sensible reply.

So the reason for your problem might just be a bug in a builtin application that is already known for a long time.

> 2. Why I cannot find the files that occupy the memory?

> No large file can be seen.

In my case described above, the files were hidden. I was ony able to remove them using a 3rd party file manager (x-plore) after I configured it to show hidden files. And even in this case, I first had to browse through the filesystem to find these files. And I did not see which application created them, because the directory names were non-descriptive. I only saw that these where the photos I uploaded using WebDAV.

> 3. Is this the cause of phone auto restarting and the cause some applications are

> crashing, closing in front of my eyes or in the background?

Could be. I expect Symbian to behave like cr*p in such error conditions.

Now there still seems to be a lot of stuff on my C: drive which I can't even see in x-plore. It says 44 MB are used, but finds only files with a total size of 9 MB. The builtin file manager also states that 44 MB are used on the C: drive.

I think that Nokia should stop selling such expensive cr*p which breaks faster than you can think of. They should focus on creating nice hardware and use Android or some other sane operating system. Nokia can't do software, they should just stop trying further. It's harmful.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ncca10

have you already tried to do a powercycle? (i mean, pressing on the power button for arund 8 seconds until you feel the vibrations and open it again)

> by the way, i also want to ask where is your contacts saved? if i'm not mistaken, contacts are automatically saved in your phone's memory (as it is nokia's default setting) so if you have a lot of contacts saved in your phone then that's one of the reasons why your memory is being occupied

> if powercycle doesn't work, try doing a soft reset by dialling *#7780#, these will return back your settings but it will not delete your files

> still if it doesn't solve your problem, do a hard reset this time, but before you do hard reset, you need to back your files via ovi suite, once you have successfully finished backing up your files then you can now do the hard reset by dialling *#7370#.

the reason why i asked you to back up is becaue your files will be deleted once you do the hard reset

i hope this solves your problem...

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

When checking the free phone memory, it's worth noting that if you view the phone memory properties via a PC, it's normal that the PC shows the phone memory capacity being full. This is because the phone memory is read-only memory for the PC applications (unlike the mass memory which is read-write for PC and shows the actual free memory). So, the problem is not necessarily that the phone memory has got full.

To see the free space on phone memory, use File manager application in Menu > Applications > Office, it will show the correct status of C: phone memory.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gahibb

I had the same issue.  Couple steps:

- As another user recommended, monitor C drive free space via Apps>Office>FIle Manager

that shows the right place...

- If you are using exchange mail, the deleted items inbox is not synchronizing with the exchange itself.  This creates all the deleted items to be stored in phones C drives although they are deleted on server & desktop exchange.  Go to exchange account in your phone and from options select empty the folder- and delete all the emails in your deleted items box. 

This freed up 40MB of C drive memory for me...

Hope this helps to you. thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thank you. That was a fantastically helpful post. Like many, paranoid after the poor C drive performance with the N97, I took fright when Windows 7 showed the C drive on the N8 as being full.

Perhaps Nokia would give their new partner Microsoft a nudge to either show that the drive is read only in Windows and therefore may not be full at all or give a true reading but saw it is read only.

Further, in that Nokia will have been aware from many posts in the past that cleaning up the C drive is a priority they might like to install a program to do that by default. And, unlike the one they provided for the N97, ensure that it is reusable.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I had the same problems. I could free upt about 15MB:

1. Delete e-mails from the Sent folder of the built in mail application (although, I don't know if this deleted the files also from the server or not).

2. I had the Nokia Panorama app installed. This created the big image .tmp files on the C: drive. C:\.panoramatmp

I still see:

108 MB SIS appliaitons

108 MB Other files

What is the 108 MB Other files? I cannot find anything big with the File Manager.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@jtwoodfield - about the post regarding microsoft, well, for WP7, you can't see the phone memory, or mass memory on PC. The only way currently to access memory on WP7 phones is thru Zune, and maybe Nokia will add Ovi Suite compatibility. It works a bit like the iPhone-iTunes system
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Other files could be the cache for internet if you browse a lot. Go to your browser and delete cache in privacy data.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have cleared the cache in Web (+2MB free), and in Opera (another +3MB free).

I have installed the CNN International beta from Betalabs, which automatically put itself on C: (I was hoping it will offer to install on the mass storage area).

Now I have

109 MB SIS applications, and

103 MB Other files.

Any other tips?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johnmaria

I have found that 3-4 days of business email exhausts enough of the "phone memory" that I can no longer send or receive email.  The only resolution I have found is to delete messages in my inbox, sent box, and then clearing the deleted folder.  This is a problem with business email, but at time it is my only choice if sending and receiving email is more important.

Is there a way to push or archive email to the 16GB mass memory or my micro SD?  Can an email folder be created on the larger memory devices?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have deinstalled Skype from C:, and reinstalled onto D:, this freed up 6MB.

There are some other apps that I have installed on C:, and could move to D:, but I am not sure what happens with the registration. Is there a limit to download from Ovi Store? I remember someone saying it's only 3 times.

And then there are other apps like Shazam, very rarely used, but then registered via a special website, not ovistore.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

hakapes wrote:

Is there a limit to download from Ovi Store? I remember someone saying it's only 3 times.

For paid applications there is a limit of 5 downloads from OVI Store.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bernie18xxx18

my c7 also had this problem, it shows "memory full delete files first" something like that , so i delete all video files in gallery, and now when i put videos on my phone it doesnt appear in gallery :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

gahibb wrote:

I had the same issue.  Couple steps:

- As another user recommended, monitor C drive free space via Apps>Office>FIle Manager

that shows the right place...

- If you are using exchange mail, the deleted items inbox is not synchronizing with the exchange itself.  This creates all the deleted items to be stored in phones C drives although they are deleted on server & desktop exchange.  Go to exchange account in your phone and from options select empty the folder- and delete all the emails in your deleted items box. 

This freed up 40MB of C drive memory for me...

Hope this helps to you. thanks.

I tried this method too and was able to free up nearly 40mb on my C:drive.

I also cleared the cache from Opera 11 which had about 10mb in it as well.

I was always wondering where and why I was losing space.

Now have:

142mb Free on C

13.8gb Free on E

And 10.9gb Free on my 16gb SD card.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Hama

Yes i could not see the used up memory. however you can follow these steps to free up some memory.

Menu --> settings --> application manager -->installed applications.

Bang! there you see all your installed applications and where they have been installed. What you need to do is to uninstall some of the applications running on C: phone memory and install in mass memory. Note that some applications are best run in drive C (that is those you will be needing often). You will know that an application is stored in phone memory where the mass storage indicator does not show.

I did this and i freed up 80MB of memory.

If it helps, let me know.
Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Hama wrote:
Yes i could not see the used up memory. however you can follow these steps to free up some memory.

Menu --> settings --> application manager -->installed applications.

Bang! there you see all your installed applications and where they have been installed. What you need to do is to uninstall some of the applications running on C: phone memory and install in mass memory. Note that some applications are best run in drive C (that is those you will be needing often). You will know that an application is stored in phone memory where the mass storage indicator does not show.

I did this and i freed up 80MB of memory.

If it helps, let me know.

With the advent of OneNote, Lync, Boradcast, Microsoft Apps and the updated Email Clients via PixiEnablers for the Belle...

Nokia should think about moving Nokia Map components that are not necessary and are useless to E:\ like Nokia Maps Guide.

You used to be able to choose which components you wanted.

Now, you don't have a choice... which sucks!

Also, other stuff that are applications and not system components should live or be moved to E:\

That was an issue with the N97 before.... not enough space.

Now, N8 has the same issue with all these updates.

Please use plain text.