Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 screen saver not working.

Professor
kman00

N8 screen saver not working.

so i noticed this yesterday, when i lock my phone the screen does not go black. no matter what the screen saver option is on ( music player, big clock or even notying) phone gets locked but the screen is on. feel like a hard reset needs to happen soon :smileytongue:
anyone else had a problem like this?
Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrNice

someone had this earlier on here, I had the same prob and followed this advise:

- Hold the power key for 10sec odd until you feel a long vibration on phone after it powers down, this has the effect of a battery removal. All was fine when I restarted phone :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MrNice

Did that work? 

I notice you deleted your reply, it would be handy for others with same problem if you could confirm or not whether suggestion helped or not :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

yes it did work but the second restart i did. first one didn't work and did another and worked.
Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anjelfew

Yeah so this morning, my phone felt a bit sluggish, so i rebooted and ever since then my screensaver has been busted, i press the keylock and the screen locks, but stays on. i have rebooted about 6 times now, and nothing. The only thing i have found is that when i load up th social ap, it allows me to use the keylock and turn my screen off, its very odd and really annoying.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darrenrone

Restart the phone but DONT touch it for 5 mins and it will start working again.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gregski

Hit the power button, then scroll down to the "lock phone" option, lock your phone. Use the slider to unlock your phone and you should be back to normal.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stuh1

[ Edited ]

darrenrone wrote:

Restart the phone but DONT touch it for 5 mins and it will start working again.

The shut down and leave for 5 mins worked for me!

I didn't try the other suggestion of pressing and holding the on/off button for 10 secs. This previously caused me to loose the home screens which reset to default content after lots of customising!

The lock and unlock didn't work.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
YiuUK

[ Edited ]

Hit the power button, then scroll down to the "lock phone" option, lock your phone. Use the slider to unlock your phone and you should be back to normal.

This worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Sage

yeh I came across this aswell... restarted and left the phone boot up all the widgets for a few minutes then it works ok after.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Arkron

[ Edited ]

Regarding the SCREENSAVER FAILURE problem, I have a PERFECT solution!!!

However, I am not sure if this will work for you, because I have SPB Mobile Shell, but it is worth a try!

1) Make sure you have the widget for the MUSIC PLAYER on one of your main operating page.

2) Turn OFF your phone regularly. (NO NEED to hard rest by hold over 8 secs)

3) Turn ON your phone.

4) Once the phone loaded up, immediate play any song through your music player before the phone auto-locks.

5) Lock your phone with your side-lock button; your screensaver should come back.

Both my g/f & I owns a Nokia N8, and we both experienced the screensaver failure problem. My N8 was easy to fix by many people's solution of just simply reset, and it automatically fixed the problem. But My g/f's N8 was stubborn, and wouldn't turn the screensaver back on by this simple reset method. Later I discovered the above method, and it worked every time! I think somehow the music player is triggering the screensaver and forces it to stay on.

Well, although we somehow surpass this  issue, but Nokia still need to fix this problem. Nokia N8 is a great phone, it shouldn't have such a simple mistake in it. This makes the perfect phone imperfect!!! Anyway, please let me know if this method works for you guys, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
playnate

@Arkron,

Your method is the only one that worked for my N8. I've been trying to fix it for days. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. =]
Please use plain text.
mustaine

[ Edited ]

@Akron,

It worked with my n8. I Had trouble after flasing to PR1.1 and restoring some settings, but your solution seemed to do the trick.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SarahPoppinsx

This worked!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information... so helpful!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hwling

[ Edited ]

@Akron,

Ur solution works for my phone too. thanks for sharing!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mantejsingh92

Thanq :smileyvery-happy:...
Perfectly worked for me :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jeahavee

Okay so now the question is what causes this to happen? so we as users can prevent this from happeneing to us.

Samsung Galaxy S4 'Black' (current)
My N9 Black (backup phone)
My N8 Green runnin Xeon^4 3.2.1
My E72 White
My E63 BLUE

http://www.youtube.com/Jeahavee
http://www.reverbnation.com/jeahavee

Stop with the popup notes Nokia sheesh I don't need help from you :/
I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit/Black Opal on my HP Dv6 1030us (DiViUs)
Windows 7 64 bit Pro and Black Opal on my custom desktop (Giniro)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jeahavee

So it seems that when the music widget has something playing from last time the phone was on it will cause some sort of issue where the screensaver won't come on. If I turn the phone off and on but not on the homescreen with the music widget the screensaver will work fine.

So it seems
Samsung Galaxy S4 'Black' (current)
My N9 Black (backup phone)
My N8 Green runnin Xeon^4 3.2.1
My E72 White
My E63 BLUE

http://www.youtube.com/Jeahavee
http://www.reverbnation.com/jeahavee

Stop with the popup notes Nokia sheesh I don't need help from you :/
I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit/Black Opal on my HP Dv6 1030us (DiViUs)
Windows 7 64 bit Pro and Black Opal on my custom desktop (Giniro)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Arkron, it worked your solution perfectly for me, even I have E7 with Belle Refresh!

I have tried 10 or more times to restart / hard restart the phone, but it didnt help at all. But the music player trick worked perfectly!

Please use plain text.