Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 tip...

Mobile Sensei
radical24

http://highdiver.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/top-67-nokia-n8-tips-and-tricks/

check this out top 67 tips for N8 great resource
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

Here’s few handy shortcuts as well.

Keypad shortcuts (Select “Call” from homescreen)
- Bluetooth ON/OFF: longpress on ‘*’-key
- Call log: press call key
- Contacts: press on contacts icon
- Open browser: longpress on ’0′-key
- Silent profile: longpress on ‘#’-key

Keypad codes (Select “Call” from homescreen and type…)
- *#7370# does hard reset
- *#7780# does soft reset
- *#06# shows your IMEI
- *#0000# shows info about phone software
- *#92702689# (*#war anty#) shows lifetimer
- *#2820# (*#BTA0#) displays the Bluetooth device address of your phone
- *#62209526# (*#MAC0WLAN) displays the MAC address of the WLAN adapter

Clock and Profile -widget
- Active and edit profile: press on profile name on the widget
- Calendar: press on date on the widget
- Clock: press on clock on widget

Notifications popup (press on battery icon)
- Clock: press on time on the popup
- Connectivity settings: press on connectivity icon on the popup
- Powersave mode ON/OFF: press on battery icon on the popup
- USB mode: press on USB icon on the popup (when connected) to switch USB mode without unplugging
- WLAN-manager: press on WLAN connection on the popup (when connected)

Miscellaneous
- Alarm Enable/Disable: Set alarm to repeat, then you can disable and enable it
- Animated Themes: Nokia default themes (not Midnight pack) have animated backgrounds, just active it from theme settings
- Data Counter: Open call log and tap on right tab to view data transfer log.
- Disconnect all networks: longpress with red call key
- Edit Homescreen: longpress on anywhere on the homscreen changes to edit mode
- Faster Homescreen: turn of theme effects from Themes settings to make switching between homescreens instant
- Favorites Widget: you can scroll the favorites widget horisontally and add more than four contacts, unlike in N97 homescreen
- Forced Reboot: press power key for eight seconds simulating “battery removal”
- “Full” Reset: hold “Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key” and press power button until your phone shake (Warning! Will remove some apps permanently like Ovi Store and Qt!)
- Predictive QWERTY: predictive text and word auto-completion are also supported on QWERTY, not only in keypad
- Screen Saver Notification: Use ‘Music Player’ screen saver to show new sms and missed calls icon on screen. Time, Date, Profile and Music being played will also be shown if enabled.
- Silence Calls/Snooze Alarms: turn around your phone upside down to silence calls or snooze alarms (set it on from Settings > Sensor settings)
- Special Characters: longpress on ’1*’-character on QWERTY keyboard to input special characters like õ, ü, etc.
- Torch (n/a in N8): hold down keylock to use LED flash as a torch
- Two way Charge: Both USB and regular thin-pin adapters can be used for charging
- Two way Keylock: open keylock by sliding keylock button on side OR by pressing menu key and then press on the screen where it says “Unlock”
- Two way TV-OUT: use HDMI cable to get digital TV Out (only N8/E7) with HD resolution or use 3.5mm cable for composite TV out
- Voice Command: hold Call button in homescreen (setup voice command first)
- USB OTG: you can directly connect almost any USB device to the phone (including USB mouse, -keyboard, -pendrive and -external HDD)
- Widget settings: in homescreen edit mode, press on widget (Notifications, Mail, Search and Shortcuts)
- Widgets Online/Offline: select Options > “Widget to Offline mode” from homescreen

Applications
- Calendar: browse through days by swiping through screen from left to right or vice versa to browse back
- Camera: use Pinch zoom to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios (9Mpix vs 12Mpix on N8)
- Camera: double press on screen to zoom (like with browser)
- Camera: you can also zoom by using volume keys
- Clock: switch between analog and digital clock by tapping the big clock shown on screen
- File Manager: connect to a network drive by choosing the setting from options menu (instead of Settings)
- File Manager: jump down on folder tree by pressing on one of the folder icons on top of the screen
- File Manager: open search bar by lightly pressing on camera key
- Gallery: Three ways to zoom pictures; by making a double press, a pinch zoom or by using volume keys
- Mail: Collapse and expand all days by doing longpress on a day
- Menu (App. Grid): instead of leaving it to background, choose Options > Exit
- Profiles: set profile (except general and offline) to change based on time of the day from profile settings
- Ovi Maps: share current (or favorite) location via MMS or E-Mail to any other Nokia device with Maps
- Task Manager: open Task Manager by doing longpress on (physical) menukey on the phone
- Task Manager: longpress on any of the apps to bring out option to close invidual or all running apps
- Lost Application (general): in case you accidently delete some of Nokia applications, like Communities or Midnight theme pack, use Software Update re-install it

If you found this post or any other psot helpful please press the green kudus star :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
amitsaini82

Re: N8 tip...How to play all songs of an artist in N8 music player?

How to play all songs of an artist in N8 music player?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Hoskins

djatomwebserv wrote:

Quick way to do things from the dial pad screen,

Activate Bluetooth > Press and hold * (star)

Access the Internet > Press and hold 0 (zero)

Activate Silent Profile > Press and hold # (hash)

Call a name in your contacts, type a part of thier name like the Americans do as in 800-callme

So for example with a name Sophie press the numbers 767 (7=S) (6=O) (7=P) spelling Sop and the N8 auto finds Sophie.

Question

Hi, I've tried this on my phone but all as I get is numbers on the screen?

I've downloaded the User Guide and my N8 Dialler screen doesn't seem to quite match the picture in the UG.

Do I switch this facility on and off? 

Help please

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

Hoskins wrote:

djatomwebserv wrote:

Quick way to do things from the dial pad screen,

Activate Bluetooth > Press and hold * (star)

Access the Internet > Press and hold 0 (zero)

Activate Silent Profile > Press and hold # (hash)

Call a name in your contacts, type a part of thier name like the Americans do as in 800-callme

So for example with a name Sophie press the numbers 767 (7=S) (6=O) (7=P) spelling Sop and the N8 auto finds Sophie.

Question

Hi, I've tried this on my phone but all as I get is numbers on the screen?

I've downloaded the User Guide and my N8 Dialler screen doesn't seem to quite match the picture in the UG.

Do I switch this facility on and off? 

Help please

I assume your referring to the Dial Number to get contacts?

there should be no need to switch anything on but step by step:

1. On the homescreen press the call button
  2. (say i want call john) just dial 5646 rather than 56664466 (not like the alphanumeric where you click the number more then once to get the third character the n8 automatcially searches for all possible matches using all three letters...)
  3. His name should appear on the upper half of the screen (above the dial pad)
  4. either single press the name to call the number set as default (if none is set then his only number) or long press to open his contacts bar

If you found this post or any other psot helpful please press the green kudus star :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
amazing

Thanks so much for your help. And I encounter another problem now that my movie teaser doesn't seems to work, can't watch any of those movie. Any tip on how I can make it useful :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fardawg

Smart tip !! Thanks.  And,...to those who continually nit pick this phone to pieces.  Get a life.  This device has more computing power than it took to fly men to the moon in 1969......and by a WIDE margin.  Relax...enjoy your device....allow Nokia to do their thing.  Here's a tip....put your N8 down and go outside and actually meet another human....get a cup o' joe....eat lunch with somebody instead of living inside a forum and feeding of everyone else's whining and **bleep** about how flawed EVERY SINGLE DEVICE is.  If Nokia gets 98% right, try NOT to be part of the 2% that focuses on HOW meaningless their lives are because, for example, the Social Widget lost it's little arrows.  Go SOCIALIZE with some ACTUAL humans !!  :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gooner1

Hilarious : )))))

Ive been a Sony user for years..but made the change last week to the N8..my 1st touch screen and needed an awesome camera...its a fantastic piece of kit. Read and watched all the reviews..its like they gotta find fault so many haters knocking the 3 way home screen...its great idea especially if your kids like to use your phone for stuff..they got there own screen to add whatever they want...sooo cool.

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

gooner1 wrote:

Hilarious : )))))

Ive been a Sony user for years..but made the change last week to the N8..my 1st touch screen and needed an awesome camera...its a fantastic piece of kit. Read and watched all the reviews..its like they gotta find fault so many haters knocking the 3 way home screen...its great idea especially if your kids like to use your phone for stuff..they got there own screen to add whatever they want...sooo cool.

Glad you love it, its always nice to see another Nokia enthusiast who can look past the bugs and see the genius behind it

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alvaro88

Is there an easy way to synchronize the N8 with Google Calendar?

Is there an easy way to synchronize the contacts of Google Mail with the N8?

Does DropBox works with the N8?

I know that it is possible to read files from a USB pen. Is it possible to read files on an external network via Wifi?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

I am using the paid for Nuevasync which syncs all my Google info, including Calendar, mail, and contacts. Works well.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alvaro88

Thank you very much for the tip on NovaSync. I will check it. I guess there is not a free service available for synchronizing files on the N8,  such as DropBox

Please use plain text.
cannondog

Re: N8 problem.... how to uninstall n8 demo, password, or how to shut it off

Hey.... my n8 has a demo that acts like a screen saver,,,, it just keeps comming back and I tried to uninstall this application but it asks for a password. 12345 will not work neither does the 00000's

I just want it to go away,,,,

when I got my n8 it had someone elses contacts on it and items in the calander for December,,, the names were added the same day I got the phone... possibly downloaded by the store but the lock key on the side of the phone worked but then would unlock by itself a couple minutes later, now its working fine,,, my phone lasted 2 days before I dropped it and smashed the screen, would be nice it I could buy a cover here,,,,, ordered one on e-bay in china, I just may get it by the time I get my phone back.......

thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

cannondog wrote:

Hey.... my n8 has a demo that acts like a screen saver,,,, it just keeps comming back and I tried to uninstall this application but it asks for a password. 12345 will not work neither does the 00000's

I just want it to go away,,,,

when I got my n8 it had someone elses contacts on it and items in the calander for December,,, the names were added the same day I got the phone... possibly downloaded by the store but the lock key on the side of the phone worked but then would unlock by itself a couple minutes later, now its working fine,,, my phone lasted 2 days before I dropped it and smashed the screen, would be nice it I could buy a cover here,,,,, ordered one on e-bay in china, I just may get it by the time I get my phone back.......

thanks for any help

WEll it would seem that your N8 is obviously used and has someones prefrences on it.. try doing a soft reset and if that doesnt work do a hard reset to the phone, Sorry :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
cannondog

does anybody know what I am talking about?

is there a factory demo installed on anybody elses n8 that plays when the phone is not in use?

if so, how did you get rid of it.... I know its in my applications under settings.... uninstall needs a password that I can't get.... not 12345....

please let me know if you know what I am talking about or am I the only one,,, aww I feel special.

thanks,,,,

cannondog

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nick_Russell

aliqudsi wrote:

Hey guys yeah i know alot of people complain about the N8 blah balh blah....

quick tip, if your =phone is lagging  a bit when you unlock it (takes a while to show the homescreen after he screensaver is gone)

go to:

Menu> Settings> Themes >General> Options> theme effects > set to off

this should greatly speed up your unlocking process as well as the speed to swipe from one home screen to another now go enjoy you N8s

This is a good tip and does speed up home screen changing.

So a question, what do themes do?  All my screens seem the same - I did have theme set to Nokia Black but turning it off does not seem to change any appearance only speed.

Nokia C7-00
Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

Nick_Russell wrote:

aliqudsi wrote:

Hey guys yeah i know alot of people complain about the N8 blah balh blah....

quick tip, if your =phone is lagging  a bit when you unlock it (takes a while to show the homescreen after he screensaver is gone)

go to:

Menu> Settings> Themes >General> Options> theme effects > set to off

this should greatly speed up your unlocking process as well as the speed to swipe from one home screen to another now go enjoy you N8s

This is a good tip and does speed up home screen changing.

So a question, what do themes do?  All my screens seem the same - I did have theme set to Nokia Black but turning it off does not seem to change any appearance only speed.

This doesn't turn off themes it only turns off theme animation, which is basically instead of your menu appearing just like that it slides up from the bottom of the screen or classily disappers when you close it....so it basically just affects the transition from screen to screen, which leaves you with the choice do you want to watch the menu open or do you want to use it

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Zubairnunu

N8 buy but problem......

i've to buy N8, but i hear many manufacturing faultys of n8 like battery dead and so on,,, nw what i do????? i like n8 but very scare of its faults!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nicce

You can also use the build in Microsoft rmail client to sync google.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akunamatata

Re: N8 buy but problem......

I would say: go for it. I had bought another Nokia phone (three in fact of the same model) which had the incriminated fault (unable to power on, and refuse to charge) and I went for the N8. And I am having plenty of fun with it.

If you encounter a problem, Nokia will change it for another one, no questions asked (as far as it happened to me)

Really, I suggest you do join the N8 gang...you will not regret it

Please use plain text.