Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8: touchscreen reactivedess drops when not in han...

Professor

N8: touchscreen reactivedess drops when not in hand

Today I noticed that when my N8 is lying on the table and I don't touch-hold it, the touchscreen sensibility is unconfortable, as I have to press harder and keep the finger longer to get a reaction. As soon as  I simply touch with the other hand the device,  or I keep it in the hand, the reactiveness recovers as for magic. It's odd, isn't it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: N8: touchscreen reactivedess drops when not in hand

Could it be by design to prevent accidental reaction when un-attended but unlocked?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

My C7 appears to lose some touchscreen sensitivity when it's plugged into the mains charger. Capacitive touchscreens entail sensing the capacitive virtual ground effect of a finger or the capacitance between sensors on the surface. Power supply units can influence the virtual ground effect, as can touching the metallic parts of these phones. So I think this is probably all related to these electrical characteristics that can change slightly during normal operation of the phone.
Please use plain text.
Professor

On the contrary, my N8 when plugged to the charger recovers it's sensitivity even if  not held in hand. Furthermore, you have not no touch it to make the touchscreen work. It's enough for the hand or another part of the body just to be very close. Es, if laid in a leg with trousers, it works as well. Or even if held in hand inside a rubber protector. Mah...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I think your N8 is having static electricity or magnetic issues. XD.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

Yes, some kind of electrostatic effect is probably behind it. It's amazing how well these things really do work though, the feel of quality where you are touching a solid piece of glass instead of a plastic film such as those on resistive screens.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

capacitive screens are meant to be glass so as they can be better conductors, while resistive screens need to be plastic so that they can bend under pressure.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.