Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 vs N95 8GB

Counsellor
MIPAPO

N8 vs N95 8GB

[ Edited ]

in few words I prefer my old N95 8GB, this N8 is the biggest fraud in Nokia, designed by the new president (ex-Microsoft), expert in to make deceiving publicity and to sell dirt and you believe buy gold.

The N8 constantly fails, it  freezes,  doesn't respond, it loses sign, in short Gentlemen of Nokia you have deceived a lot of people and I include myself.

I return to the N95 8GB, and I wait someone buys me my N8.

Never in my life a telephone has gotten angry so much how this N8.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited.Please refrain from using inappropriate use of words in this forum

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Firstly the N8 was probably already in production by the time Stephen Elop joined Nokia. Secondly, you obviously weren't around when the N95 was first launched. Thirdly, it seems like you may have one of the few faulty early handsets which you should get checked out under warranty.

Lastly, I have had my N8 almost a month now. Couldn't be happier with it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

>>Firstly the N8 was probably already in production by the time Stephen Elop joined Nokia

Who the order gave of sending a faulty product for sale? 

I try to explain the last defect of the N8

Yesterday I waited a very important call, queerly the hours passed and I didn't receive that call , I look at my N8 and the main screen showed good sign and battery full.

Resigned for that I don't receive the call after 4 hours,I take the telephone and my surprise was that the screen was frozen, it showed me a screen that was active but in fact it was frozen and I have that to make a reset of the telephone so that it worked again.\

You think that for this dirt I lost the possibility of a new work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
redmonstrosity

[ Edited ]

N95? That is sooo 5 minutes ago. :smileyhappy:

I don't know why you guys saying that n8 is a fraud when it's NOT.

I've got issues with the apps on Ovi but i think what they're saying is right, we just have to wait for nokia's next big step.

Please read.

My n8's a pure charm and I am in love with it!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

@Mimapo,

I don't know the full extent of the problems you are experiencing with your N8 but I do know that it does not affect all N8's. If you have been unable to resolve the faults on your phone then you should have it look at by your local Nokia Care Point.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

Nokia Care Point. ?? In Venezuela

I visit one of those that Nokia recommends Venezuela, Friend you come out running before giving a telephone to this people, they fix all  type telefon, nokia, blackberry, Vergatario, etc.. they are those authorized by nokia.  ummmm

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bruins3

Do you have your N8 connected to a WPA2 wifi network? I also get freezes when connected to it. For some networks it works if you turn of the energy saving option in the wlan settings (I've read).
Further more, it's not unusual that a new device from Nokia has some issues when launched. Be aware that most of the issues of the N95 were already solved when the N95-8GB came out.
The most important is that with a Nokia you can be sure that there will be plenty of updates for the device.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I am not familiar with Nokia Care Point in Venezuela but if you feel that strongly about it then have you tried contacting Nokia Care using the "Contact us" tab for your local Nokia website? They may be able to suggest something for you.

The other option is to return it to the dealer you got the phone from.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

>> Do you have your N8 connected to a WPA2 wifi network?

No. The only thing that I made before the issue was to eliminate all the widgets, of the third screen of telefon, the WebTv (CNN, Neo etc)

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

MIPAPO wrote:

in few words I prefer my old N95 8GB, this N8 is the biggest fraud in Nokia, designed by the new president (ex-Microsoft), expert in to make deceiving publicity and to sell dirt and you believe buy gold.

The N8 constantly fails, it  freezes,  doesn't respond, it loses sign, in short Gentlemen of Nokia you have deceived a lot of people and I include myself.

I return to the N95 8GB, and I wait some idiot buys me my N8.

Never in my life a telephone has gotten angry so much how this N8.

As a long-time N95 user, I can sympathise with MIPAPO's opinion.  I have been tempted myself to return to the trusty old N95 8GB that I have come to know and love - even though that phone is not without its frustrations - much slower than the N8 at most things BUT the battery life is much better.

However,  I have perhaps blind faith that Nokia, in the regular updates they will be sending out for the N8 will turn my frog into a prince.  Not that it is giving me problems - I am one of the lucky ones with a fairly solid N8 with none of the problems that others experience apart from pretty appalling battery life generally - given the fact that it has a slower processor than most top-end phones around - with fairly light usage today I was down to 3 bars by 5pm.  With the same usage my N95 would probably be still at about 75%.  BUT that is the price I was prepared to pay for getting my new N8 - I didn't expect it to be 100% from day one.

The main reason I bought the N8 is because of what it offers in terms of hardware options, not least being the camera.  I know that Nokia can and will do something about the firmware and the UI - that will happen, believe me, and early next year - about 50 quite significant changes, I have read, including UI improvements.  But the hardware you are stuck with - and looking at the competition (by Googling for "phone-name problems") you will find that EVERY phone out there has its problems - some a lot worse than with the N8 - even lousy battery life.

So - I'll wait and see what Nokia comes up with - for this round I am keeping faith - I expect them to keep faith also .....

And I am enjoying my N8 - as long as I can charge it regularly. (that could be sorted by Nokia releasing a more powerful compatible battery upgrade)

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hooshee

In almost every topic there are complaints about battery life. For god's sake, what did you guys expect? These are not telephones, these are mobile computers, with huge screens, a lots of antennas, strong cpu ang graphic hardware. If you want a phone with days/weeks of battery life, go get a 6310, they are still sold in some markets.

I think I'm a heavy user, facebook widget, accuweather, mail is constantly on, on wifi or 3g, I talk about 1,5-2 hours a day, and N8 gives me the full day without recharge. If it's a weekend, then sometimes two days. And that's totally acceptable, no other smartphone is capable of 3-4 days of battery life if you are using it as a smartphone.

I think N8's battery life is completely satisfying even now, before the big updates, and I'm sure that it will get better.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Hooshee wrote:

In almost every topic there are complaints about battery life. For god's sake, what did you guys expect? These are not telephones, these are mobile computers, with huge screens, a lots of antennas, strong cpu ang graphic hardware. If you want a phone with days/weeks of battery life, go get a 6310, they are still sold in some markets.

I think I'm a heavy user, facebook widget, accuweather, mail is constantly on, on wifi or 3g, I talk about 1,5-2 hours a day, and N8 gives me the full day without recharge. If it's a weekend, then sometimes two days. And that's totally acceptable, no other smartphone is capable of 3-4 days of battery life if you are using it as a smartphone.

I think N8's battery life is completely satisfying even now, before the big updates, and I'm sure that it will get better.

Exactly!

My N95 8GB , was announced on August 21, 2007, and put on market in October 2007 - over 3 years ago.  And the N8 is vastly more sophisticated, I admit.  So why do they both have exactly the same power battery, especially as the design does not allow us to easily replace the battery on the go? Other manufacturers seemed to manage batteries up to 1500 mah (up 25% on the N8) in devices that were first shipped over 2 years ago, and surely battery technology has moved on in the past 2 years?

So, whilst I stated very clearly that I was enjoying my N8 and looking forward to further improvements as Nokia release firmware updates, I am not so unrealistic as to refuse to acknowledge some of its undoubted short-comings that I, and obviously others, are currently experiencing.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Actually one of the biggest problems is the fact that battery technology has not moved much in the last few years. It is lagging way behind the rest of the technology in the phone.

Battery capacity is directly proportional to the volume of the battery. If you haven't noticed, the N8 is smaller than most of it's competitors hence there is less room for a battery. I don't know about you but I like my phone as small as possible so I am quite happy with the N8 compromise.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

cjlim wrote:

If you haven't noticed, the N8 is smaller than most of it's competitors hence there is less room for a battery.

It also manages it's consumption a lot better than many of it's competitors.  I'm charging my N8 less often than I did my HTC desire which had a 1500mah battery. The desires consumption was pretty unpredictable, even during everyday usage. 

I'm another happy trouble free N8 owner and If I know i'm going to be away from a plug socket or USB port for an extended length i'm just going purchase a portable charger.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

cjlim wrote:

Actually one of the biggest problems is the fact that battery technology has not moved much in the last few years. It is lagging way behind the rest of the technology in the phone.

Battery capacity is directly proportional to the volume of the battery. If you haven't noticed, the N8 is smaller than most of it's competitors hence there is less room for a battery. I don't know about you but I like my phone as small as possible so I am quite happy with the N8 compromise.

Hi cjlim.  Yes - hear what you say.  I am just addressing the subject of the thread, and can't help but feel some sympathy with the original poster, having come from the N95 8GB myself.  Now THAT phone is a brick, by comparison, and I have carried it everywhere for the past 3 years or so.  At the end of the day, I feel that Nokia users ARE Nokia users because they are more interested in the excellent technical products that Nokia have produced over the years - I can definitely say that is why I have been a life-long Nokia user - and are generally more interested in functionality and less likely to be swayed by 'the swish UI' or the 'current vogue' in handsets.  It is against these criteria that I am commenting.  Given the fact that, yes, the N8 is far more powerful than the N95 in terms of hardware etc. it is just a shame that Nokia could not source a more powerful battery for it - it is the ONLY thing I have to gripe about.  And, yes, I personally, would put that above a few cms extra in size.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Hooshee

That's right. The battery tech evolved lot less in the past few years than other technologies. Just think about the 3g switch, it mean at least 50% bigger consumption in the communication section. And the batteries are quite the same nowadays as they were 6-7 years ago, just look at your AA batteries if you have some. About ten years ago the top of the line was about 1900-2000mAh. Now it is 2600-2700. 30-35 percent. Since then just to say your screen is 200% bigger, your CPU is 300% stronger and so on.

Even is nokia did put a bigger battery in, 25% bigger, it would mean (at least to me) that I have 3 stick of battery instead of 1 at the end of the day. Do I have to charge it? Yes, I have to, because it surely wouldn't last another full day. But is thinner and smaller then many comptetitors, and I appreciate that.

I think one day of battery life with heavy usage should be enough. My Neighbour got his N8 lately, he can manage 2, sometimes 3 days, but he uses the phone in offline just for macing calls mainly...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

mikwag wrote:

And, yes, I personally, would put that above a few cms extra in size.

I think you may have bought the wrong Nokia. :smileyhappy: The E Series phones are usually the ones with bigger batteries and longer battery life. However, I do note that the E7 does not support this trend.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Yes, and this obviously troubles Steve Litchfield as well ....

The only positive about that is that Nokia will probably be forced to release a more powerful battery for this device, and us N8 fans will benefit from it (as they are the same)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

I think you are more likely to see another E Series Symbian^3 phone released in the near future with a larger battery. There is no need to change an existing model when they will be releasing more models in the future. Most owners of the N8, me and Psycho included are more than happy with the current battery capacity vs size compromise. In any case, I would not be surprised the current battery is as big as they can fit in the N8.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
steviecaptain

iv'e had my n8 for about a month, had a few problems but nothing major, what has annoyed a lot of people is the quoted battery figures by nokia of 390 hrs standby, it's ok some people saying that they are happy with the battery life, I bet that they get no where near what nokia has claimed. what people want is the n8 to do what it says on the box, nothing more nothing less, I for one am not concerned about battery life, as i am never far from a re-charger, but it would be better if the n8 came some where near to it's supposed specs, at the moment it's not even in the same ball park, this is why a lot of people seem agrieved, whats wrong with expecting a product to do what it claims on the box, I'm a long time nokia user with the N958GB my last nokia before the N8, and i am also a little miffed with the N8, it's not what i expect of nokia, lets all hope that nokia comes up with a great firmware update, otherwise there will be quite a few n8's for sale

Please use plain text.