Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N86 Nice phone! How the hell do you get WIFI ...

Advisor

N86 Nice phone! How the hell do you get WIFI to work

Hi Newbie on here,

Just got the N86  early days i know  but for the life of me i cannot connect to my WLAN.  Tried everything last night for 5 hours!! Following every forum generated advice...

I can get a connection using the Wizzard, and in Connections manager you can see its connected to my Hub as the timer is running and you get the light blue simbol saying your connceced

but all i get is the Dreaded  "No Gateway reply"  Ive yet to display a web page!!  please help or its going back to Orange!!   My N 82 connects fine to the Hub (belkin 54G)  even working with no sim in,  Tried copying the settings in the N82 to the N86 as well....  No go.

Hope you can help, would be a shame to send it back and cross to the "other" side..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: N86 Nice phone! How the hell do you get WIFI to work

You wouldn't by any chance have MAC filtering enabled on your router? If the answer is yes then make sure you enter the MAC address for the N86 to the "allowed" list. If the answer is no then proceed to the next section.

If you are getting a "No gateway" message also try the following:

On your pc/laptop, click on Start>Run and type ipconfig/all and note the settings for:

1. Subnet Mask

2. Default Gateway

3. DNS Servers

Now, on your Phone settings: Goto Menu>tools>settings>connection>access points

Select your WLAN access point and go to Advanced settings:

IPv4 settings:

For phone IP address: Start with the Default Gateway IP and change the last number to something else.
For Subnet mask and Default gateway use the same as on PC
For DNS address: Change to user defined and enter same settings as on PC

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thats brillient mate thanks!  Ill try tonight and post later.  Not sure i have MAC filtering on the router but then again wouldnt know either way,  Would you check this somehow via your PC.  I'll give your 2nd method ago, although i did try something like this  where you change your Advanced settings, but in the IPv4 option i think i put the same IP number as the PC.  Doh.

Thanks again...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Check mac filtering by accesing the router setup menu from the pc. Chances are mac filtering is disabled if you managed to connect the N82 without adding it to the wouter.

Not a good idea to use the same IP address as the pc. That would cause a conflict straight away.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks Again!   Seems Nokia have mucked about or complicated with the WIfi firmware from the N82 to the N86.  Hoping is not this complicated to connect to Hotspots I.E Mc D's or an Airport etc.  The N82 was a breaze.  Even found the WLAN search on the standby screen the only handy line on there.  Notice thay took that away from the N86 aswell!

If its not broke.....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Nah, the software is no more complicated with the new phones. The wizard works just fine for 95% of routers and then for some reason, you have to make those few manual changes for the last 5%. Last month, I had I suddenly started getting a no gately reply error with one of my routers at home when I had been using that router with my phone for a few months. Had to intervene manually to get it working again.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

You are replying to this post Re: n86 no get wlan connection[ New ] manumanchon Contributor Posts: 21 manumanchon 28-Oct-2009 03:35 PM

Hi mozz, did you try this? http://www.pickmore.com/internet/nokia-n95-no-gateway-reply-error-fix-2029

first of all try to upgrade firmware. one thing I notice in my n86 is that case of letters in WEP key matters, I mean, in my previous n95 I could write wep key in upper case or lower case and both working, in n86 I had to write everything in upper case.

Thanks for the reply!

I did look at a firmware upgrade after owning the phone about an hour!  I'm on Orange branded so still running V10.  

Ive got pass the WEP key uppercase issue as i can connect to the WLAN, just dont as far as a web page. Just a white page and the annoying"NGR"  message, meanwile the clock counter it ticking on the connectivity page??

And yes, i did check this like early on in my Quest! thought it would crack it.   nop

Thanks Again!

Message Edited by mozz on 28-Oct-2009 03:44 PM
Message Edited by mozz on 28-Oct-2009 03:46 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nop still not having it put in these Specific numbers in the IPV 4 settings?  Still no gateway reply.

So i delete the access point and start again.  It gives me the option "selected network supports easy setup for reciving settings" Config now?  so i select yes,  "Press button in wireless station?  What chuffing button? or use pin code instead? giving you a code?  How do you enter this PIN into the wireless station??

I'mLoosing the will and by the way shes just stormed upstairs my wife currently..... 

HELP!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Try one other thing. Temporarily remove the security encryption on your router and see if your phone will connect.

You could also try changing the channel setting on your router wireless settings.

Message Edited by cjlim on 28-Oct-2009 08:06 PM

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well!!  Having disconnected the Wep encreption i could not get on the Net, See im on windows 7 so not really sure were im going with it all yet.  So i thought quit now.  Put the wep key back on the PC and loaded up a web page. 

On the off-chance i did a wizard on the phone, put the wep key in (againeeeh) and got a message that i didnt read fully, Not had it before. saying something like checking your connectivity is kosha or something, and hey presto stright in!!!   Logged off and tried to go in again......... No gateway!!!!

Eh at least i know the phone could potentally get on...... Its clearly something to do with the router i think, so ill perhaps crack it one day!!!

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

If you think it could have something to do with the router, you could try updating the firmware on the router. Check for any firmware updates available for your router and update if available.

Please use plain text.