Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

[N95] 2GB Memory

Sage

[N95] 2GB Memory

[ Edited ]
[Maybe off-topic but is the only community I belong to that use mSD]

Hi,

Something weird is happening with 2GB mSD cards, I would like to hear your comments.

My N95 came with a 1GB mSD which using the SD adapter I can read it without problems in my PC.

Later I bought a 2GB card which I can format and use in my N95 but not in my home PC, the PC says its unreadable and unformattable.

I thought it was an PC problem so I tried also in my laptop, in my work PC and in a friend laptop (Windows XP Pro & Windows Vista) with similar results, so I guess that is a Windows driver I have to search around, but would like to know if someone else have this problem.

Finally, as the N95 does not provide an option for this, the mSD is formatted using FAT or FAT32?

Thanks,
A/

Message Edited by seti on 19-Jun-200708:22 PM

Message Edited by seti on 19-Jun-200708:23 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

Re: [N95] 2GB Memory

You shouldn't need any drivers to read a 2Gb microSD card - although the phone may be able to successfully use the card, there may be parts of it which are damaged which the PCs are picking up on. I'm using a 2Gb card in my N95 without any problems at all and am able to read it in my PC without using any additional drivers.

I haven't actually checked what filesystem is being used on the N95 so don't hold me to this, but as someone else picked up on quite astutely on, the maximum filesystem that can be used on a FAT filesystem is 2Gb.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Sage

Thanks,

I have to check into this, I got a second (even a different brand) 2GB mSD and got the same behaviour, works in the phone but not in the PC.

I tried different adapters for the mSD and what happens is repeatably, the 1GB mSD works with all the adapters in the PC and laptop but the 2GB does not... weird.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi,

Regarding the default format used by the N95 when formatting a Memory Card, does someone know the default filesystem?

Hopefully FAT and not FAT32.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevineu

[ Edited ]
Do a search on this forum I recall a couple of discussions on this topic.

Message Edited by kevineu on 20-Jun-200709:12 AM

Ericssson EH 237, Ericsson EH 337, Ericsson GH 388, Siemens S25, Nokia 6210, Nokia 7250, Nokia 6230, Nokia 6280 & O2 Atom , Nokia N95, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I thini maybe your card-reader for the PC is not compatible with cards larger than 1GB.

I used to have an older card-reader and whenever i gave it a large card, it behaved a bit like you describe.

Also since the card works in the N95 it appears to be fine, so I suspect the card reader.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

20-Jun-200701:10 AM
seti wrote:
Hi,

Regarding the default format used by the N95 when formatting a Memory Card, does someone know the default filesystem?

Hopefully FAT and not FAT32.

Thanks.

I've just connected my phone to my PC - the default filesystem is FAT.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Sage

Many thanks.

BTW. The problem are the readers, unfortunately none of mine support cards larger than 1GB.

Sadly, my friend's brand new laptop's reader (Dell, June 2007), (custom order) does not read it neither.

I went to a store and try a multi-reader and worked fine.

So, be careful choosing your readers.

S/
Please use plain text.