Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N95 - not suited to Australian or tropical con...

Re: N95 - not suited to Australian or tropical conditions

Hi I have the same problem with my N95 in the UK. Never used the phone in the rain or extreem conditions. I had a noisy earpiece I took the phone back to the NOKIA shop and and was told It was a common problem and the get 5 or 6 returned every week!! When I went back for my phone i was told it was un repairable because of liquid damage!! I was unable to speak to the engineer as he was at lunch. , tried ringing NOKIA a couple of times who transferred me to a specific help desk for the N95, no answer both times. I am not impressed with NOKIA`s customer service, they obviously know there is a problem with this phone and are not prepared to help. My advice dump the NOKIA and go for another make
Please use plain text.
Contributor

just back from the Caribbean and made sure to have a hard clear plastic cover.. worked a treat sorry to hear of your dilemma, shop should've looked after you however, good customer relations, in any case i think it's time phones of this value should able to stand up to this type of thing.. the nokia's are nice but flimsey as hell with cheap materials..
peace
R.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

[ Edited ]
Scottyofaus
Your experience with N-95 is rather unfortunate. I live in India
and you would know how hot it can get. I live in Mumbai where the average humidity around the year is around 70%, During Rains it goes as high as 95%. We have 4 months monsoon. I have never come across anyone complaining of the problem you have stated.

Message Edited by babdi on 01-Mar-2008 10:41 AM
If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.

I considered a 5500 an ivestment also and what a sorry tale it has been.

Purchased in March 2007, owned for 10 months, has been in repairs for almost 4 of these.

Firstly the keypad separated from the phone, a very common complaint - mbamg, you really should do some research before singing praises about the robustness of any products.

This was a 7 week repair, free under Nokia warrantee.

On return the phone continually self shut down, it was again returned to the dealer and re-sent to Nokia for repair.

This was an 8 week repair.

On return I was advised that there had been moisture ingress and as such the warrantee had been voided and the phone was being returned un-repaired.

I am still pursuing the matter with Nokia so am unable to comment on how they service their customers however I am in a position to seriously question the quality of the Nokia product.

I can only comment on my experience with the the 5500 model here. After reading the extensive issues other owners have had with this model posted on this site's forum (I should have done this prior to purchase "buyer beware" still applies in OZ) I can only advise potential purchases to avoid this product.

Back to the topic - liquid ingress even in Canberra, admittedly after the seal had been compromised by the keypad releasing from the phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llendorin

With the exception of the Keypad, i've never had a problem with the 5500, and i've had it 18 months now (and the keypad was fixed with a little bit of superglue!)
You really shouldn't just a phone based on one bad experience. Yes, the keypad issue is a pain, for what is advertised as a robust phone, but otherwise I've never had a problem with it. I tend to use it when working or out in the hills with no problems at all.
Please use plain text.
Sage
leonwu2705

I live in Perth, Australia and my N82 has nothing wrong with it. Also have a crystal shell for it but doesn't protect the buttons. Maybe you should get a silicone case instead.
That's right people, I'm back. Where have I been? I have been getting a life, away from this electric madness.
Please use plain text.

thanks llendorin

I suppose that I expect a proported robust product not to fault in the first six months of minimal use. The purchase was made at a higher cost in order to reduce the risk of fault and to help ensure continual use. So both the fualts are very disapointing.

Then the 16 week repair time out of the 50 week ownership also did not sit well with me.

Glad you have had a good experience, its just that I have not and purchases need to be aware of both.
Please use plain text.

so how are we meant to stop this problem from occurring?
maybe everyone will have to stop buying nokia as their phones can not handle day to day normal use.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llendorin

The easy solution is to keep a case on your phone. There are several companies that manufacture quality silicon/neoprene/leather cases which should protect the phone from the worst of the elements.
They will not, however, make the phone suddenly waterproof, so there is still a risk involved. Use of common sense applies at this stage. Don't use the phone in the rain, don't take it into the bathroom with you when you're having a shower (You'd be surprised how many people i know leave their phone on a shelf in the bathroom while they're taking a steaming hot shower - water vapour, anyone?!) don't go swimming with it, etc.
As long as you take care of your phone, it should take care of you in return.

I've personally got 2 phones. I've got the 5500, which i use at work more than anything else (I work on a nature reserve, so it gets a fair amount of abuse) and i've got an E65 for the rest of the time. Both of which have Krussel cases on them and i've had no problems with either phone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

me i live in libya which is really sandy and the phones slider has become slower because i got sand in the side anyone know how to get it out
Please use plain text.