Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N96 - A bitter disappointment all round.

Sage

N96 - A bitter disappointment all round.

I just upgraded from my trusty N80 to an N96. I cannot begin to tell you how bitterly disappointed I am with this phone.

Two years on, Nokia have once again been able to take 10 steps forward and 25 steps back. Here are my findings so far...

1) The speed. This phone is slow. Believe it or not, but it actually seems slower than the N80. I did not think this would be possible.

2) Voice dialling. ABYSMAL! The N80 would work in almost any situation. The N96 demands complete background silence to even BEGIN to come close. Nokia - go back to the drawing board. This feature, which to me, a busy rep on the road (in the car) is VITAL AND IT DOES NOT WORK! When you hold down the right function button, it SOMETIMES registers it MOSTLY does not. When it does, it plays the little bleep, but then 3-4 seconds AFTER does the prompt come up on the screen telling you to speak. What kind of **bleep** is this? By the time the prompt comes up, you've already said the name, but the phone missed it! WHY NOT PLAY THE BEEPS WHEN THE PHONE IS READY TO LISTEN?!?!!? This is proof that this phone was tested by idiots or school-leavers without a clue. Or both.

3) My TomTom software will not install. Well, it says it installs, but does not put an icon anywhere for me to find it. If I'm paying $1000+ for a phone that supposedly has GPS, I do NOT expect to have to pay MORE to be able to use it. Once again, Nokia, you are **bleep** customers off.

4) The headset. I want a NORMAL headset. One earpiece. Microphone close to my mouth so PEOPLE CAN HEAR ME. Not some trendy stereo thing with a microphone that is at my WAIST when I'm driving. USELESS NOKIA, USELESS!!

5) DVB-H. Nokia make a big point in the marketing of this phone, but guess what? NOBODY USES IT! No-one transmits DVB-H and so a flip out cup holder would be more useful on this phone.

6) Phone Switch. This is allegedly a function that allows you to transfer all you settings from your old phone to the new phone. Guess what? It doesn't work. Not at all. Nope. USELESS!

7) The slide. My old N80 used to hang up the call when you closed the slide. Not so the N96. In fact, it just keeps the call going. Is this a feature you can set/adjust? I don't know. The manual doesn't say.

8) Auto-rotate. This feature is as bad as it is annoying. Nokia have obviously gone with a cheap mercury gravity switch rather than use acceleration detectors, which this feature, when turned on, annoying rotates the screen if you accidently hold the phone the wrong way. Because the processor is so abysmally SLOW in this phone, it takes ages to rotate and re-orient the screen again after. Sometimes, it takes a VERY long time for it to realise you're actually holding the phone upright again. Back to the drawing board, Nokia.

9) Navi-Wheel. It's in the MENU but not on the PHONE! Obviously a feature they DID test and realised it was so bad, they took it out. Well, almost.

10) Speakers. Horrible and tinny. Even the N80 sounds louder and bolder with a lot more bass.

I think it is utterly disgraceful that Nokia pushes this phone on to unsuspecting customers and expect them to do their testing for them. Right now, for two pins I'd send this piece of **bleep** right back and go with an Apple iPhone (which was offered to me in the first place by Optus), but foolishly, I kept my brand loyalty and stuck with Nokia.

Time, and Nokia's reaction to this, will tell how big a fool I possibly am.
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
------------------------------------
Nokia: Connecting People... with iPhones.
Please use plain text.
Sage
smoketoomuch

Re: N96 - A bitter disappointment all round.

To bad that your purchase was such a disapointment.

This is a user-to-user forum so you won´t get any replies from Nokia here :smileysad:
Im sure someone here can be of assistance, they are all very helpful and skilled.

I have a N-95 and i love it, it took me some time to get used to it but now i will completely wear it out before getting another phone!

Best of luck iannicholson!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
illinjah

21-Nov-2008 02:23 PM
iannicholson wrote:

4) The headset. I want a NORMAL headset. One earpiece. Microphone close to my mouth so PEOPLE CAN HEAR ME. Not some trendy stereo thing with a microphone that is at my WAIST when I'm driving. USELESS NOKIA, USELESS!!

I just want to point out that maybe you´re using the headset not properly. The loop within the cable of the headset is supposed to go around your head. That way the microphone won´t be at your waist...

Give it a try! :smileyhappy:
By clicking the "Kudos!" or the "Solution?" button on the right you can say "Thank You" and you´ll show the author and others that the post is useful.

The day we stop improving is the day we stop being good.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Or you can use a bluetooth earpiece...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
ant_coe_

[ Edited ]
I have also recently upgraded from having my n80 headset for over 2 years to the n96, and the differences are small, but big enough if you notice them.

Yes the phone is not really a upgrade but a side grade from the n80, i was desperate to upgrade as i have my peers upgrade phones all the time, but i was yet stuck with a old, but yet reliable, n80.

Okay, to answer your questions,
Yes the phone has problems and yes you will get used to the triviality once you experience the other features the n96 becomes miles away from the n80.

Speed
1) speed, it is slow in comparison to the other nokias that are currently out, but it is still quicker than the n80 in in some respects (such as file management and menu speed)

Voice dialling
2) yes the voice dial is not as cleaver as the n80 in my opinion, but you need to remember that you once trained your voice, im sure it will get better with time (you can configure it responds to you, so you dont have to confirm your commands)

Tomtom
3) i have had tomtom mobile/navigator v6 on my old n80 and i just copied the files across to the mass storage, and wam bam it was installed (Although the current v11 firmware has a terrible lag while on the menus) but the v12 firmware for the n96 fixes it and its back in full swing, no it wont work with the built in GPS, but that is currently tomtom's fault for not updating their application for over two years.

Headset
4) The headset i took out of the box and it was instantly forgotten, but dont forget you dont have to buy a nokia headset now you have the 3.5mm jack.

Digital live TV
5) im as annoyed as you, i think its classed as false advertisement somewhere, but did you ever have the ability of bbc i player on your old handset and the ability to output it to a TV (PAL or NTSC) or watch high quality converted videos on a large 2.8" screen.

6) use pc suite and backup your n80 then restore it to your n96. your being a bit nieve trying to get all the settings across, if i remember correctly i had to transfer the settings between handsets one by one, until it completed, as one made the application hang or something.

Slider
7) did you not ever get annoyed with using the numeric keypad within a call (and you slide it open) and accidentally sliding it just below the 1,2,3 buttons ending the call, as i got frustrated many of times.

There is an application for the n95 that does the same as this, i believe it is compatible with the n96, but i dont know why there is no option with it in the menu.

Auto rotate
8) that lasted about five seconds before it would me up
but the fancy thing is that your photographs that you take are not only GPS tagged, but are autoroated as the phone knew what orientation the photos where taken in.

9) Navi wheel: lets not get started on that one, im really disappointed with nokia too (and with the overall plastic feel of the handset)

10) if you think the n80 speakers are clearer and louder than the n96 then you have got some settings wrong (turn off 3d tones)

I am justifying why the n96 is more superior as a whole, but the n96 does have a handful of problems that might wind any upgrader from a near perfect handset. the feature set of the n96 is far superior than the n80 (play with your n96 and only your n96 for a week, then go back to the n80 and see how much the screen size alone makes a difference)

Yes nokia have made a handset that could do it all, but nokia have actually made a handset that could do it, when it wants to work (or in it's own time).

Im sticking with my n96 after being more than satisfied with my n80ie and yes i was a 'application geek' where everything that was compatible with my n80 was on my n80 as i wanted all features and whatnot. the n96 provides the same opportunities, but a whole new league.

I did not intend for this post to feel like a review, but i felt like what 'iannicholson' is saying only a few weeks ago.

Once you get the v12 firmware, you start to see why you chose this handset over the alternates handset.

Tony
QED

Message Edited by ant_coe_ on 21-Nov-2008 03:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi Tony,

Thanks for a very good and detailed reply. Where can I get the v.12 upgrade? It doesn't seem to be available via the Australian website. Also, where can I find out which version firmware I have? It doesn't appear in the 'About' app (where one would expect it to).

Best regards,

Ian
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Sage
ant_coe_

My local nokia store had it,
they stated that it would become mainstream (for generic product codes only) in the near future.

yet to find a bug, but im not using all the phone's features like i used to. ive managed to just skip to the stage in a mobile's life where i accept its problems and wait for th contract to expire, or imagine how the next nokia will be for the new children of the century.

Hold on with the v12, nokia have blatantly found problems with it and are preparing a minor update or something to ensure it is released with best intentions and whatnot.

Just hold out, you will see the n96't true potential (compared to the n80)

and relating to the transfer between phones, you do need to do it one by one, or it will fail (i remember now)

Tony
Please use plain text.
Sage

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To add insult to injury, I'm stuck on firmware version 10.065 because, according to Nokia, Optus (my service provider) has not 'approved' any software releases beyond that. I called Optus and spoke to a really helpful tech guy who offered to unlock my phone if that helped me get the latest version. But, according to Nokia, that won't solve the problem because the serial number is checked during the update process. Locked or not, I cannot simply upgrade my firmware without Optus/Nokia's say-so.

What kind of totalitarian **bleep** is this?!

Once more, Nokia shows how they can move 10 steps forward and 25 steps back. The Software Updater feature is USELESS to me. The only way I can get a firmware upgrade is to take the phone to Nokia, who will take 48 hours to do the upgrade.

What a useless bunch of tarts this organisation is!
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi Everyone.

Thanks to all those who gave such positive replies, but after another two weeks of struggling to get this phone upgraded by Nokia, I'm giving up.

Nokia's customer service has been thoroughly non-existent and have show nothing but totally apathy and disregard to my issues with this phone.

All they want me to do is take the phone in and leave it with them for two days. Why? So they can upgrade the firmware. A feature I SHOULD be able to do over the internet, but cannot (because, apparently, Optus must 'approve' the new firmware, but no-one at Nokia it seems to have told Optus that!).

So, I called Optus today - the phone is going back. And good riddance!

Goodbye **bleep** voice-dialling.
Goodbye non-existent DVB-H TV...
Goodbye **bleep**, SLOW user interface...
Goodbye (optionally extra and expensive) GPS...
Goodbye lousy, constantly rebooting OS...

My thoughts and well-wishes are for all you poor sods who decided to keep struggling with this piece of **bleep**.

GOODBYE NOKIA! After nearly 20 years, I think I've shown more loyalty than you ever showed me. I doubt I'll be back.
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Ian like you I have been a client of both Nokia and Optus since April 1994. The service (or lack thereof ) by both companies is appalling. I am also jumping ship but not until the new year when the handset I want is released. Unfortunately the only telco handling this phone that I want is Telstra. And we all know what Telstra is like.
As I have already said Nokia have lost the plot as well as loosing customers. Unfortunately a customer lost is one that you rarely get back. Perhaps one day when the Nokia heads pull their collective heads out of the sand they might understand. By then it will be too late.
Please use plain text.
Sage
ant_coe_

I understand where both of you are coming from when in (in my opinion/)reality its Optus's fault, hear me out.

If Optus is incapable of developing firmware to its customers within a acceptable time-scale, then they should consider sending out unbranded handsets (i dont mean unlocked, just handsets that are generic and can be updated). Or just not making changes and forwarding the firmware send to them back at nokia to publish on their site.

It is by no means solely Optus that has to take the burden for this, as you have decided to go for a handset made by nokia that costs over £500, nokia should do everything under the sun to make customers feel as though they are getting a* service.

Nokia are also at fault in some way for false advertisement (yes that is a big hit there), digital mobile TV is not current within england, and wont be for a few years to come, the only get out clause they managed to pluck is the inclusion of BBCI player (a uk tv catch up service over the air or wifi)

Furthermore, what was nokia's game in giving this handset a premature birth that restarts more times than a skipping scratched CD. and this is no ordernary cd, this is ment to be a forever lasting scratch proof version that you paid all this money to get 5 minutes use out of before it decides to miss a track and restart by itself.

There are alternatives out there, but wherever you look you will see the same thing as here and reality will come crashing down when you realise you cant get out of that contract... contracts that include handsets will be most likely have firmware locked to that network, at least with nokias there is the possibility of getting that changed for the cost of the warranty, but yes, i should not be backing up nokia's decisions to allow mobile phone developers to tinker with their firmware and sit on it for a long time, i am stating that it is your handset, and nokia should at least allow you to choose if you want to have the networks features installed and tweaks applied, as im sure you can make a call regardless if they have the Optus style themes on board or not. and while they are at making the abilities to chose what software you want installed they can develop a battery that charges when you talk, and an attachment that tucks you in bed at night or even a handset that does [[NOT]] use the paying public as a beta tester!

But until then, if you want a phone better than the n96 and you cant get an inno8, i would stick by my n96 as my contract with three video mobile costs peanuts (i managed to get one of those 'im leaving you guys unless....' deals)

ps you two (braxyeo and iain) being a long term nokia customers you must of ran into these problems before, but im guessing the updates where not as important as they are now.
Also do not go with three video mobile, as they are nothing but trouble (i have numerous examples and will go into them in detail on request but i have talked too much in this thread already)

Man I really should end my posts a few paragraphs early, now it looks cluttered towards the end.
Tony - happy with his n96 and you should be to
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I have to agree with ant_coe_ here. The fault does lie primarily with the operator.

Nokia was one of the last mobile phone manufacturers to kowtow to the network operators and allow them to customize the firmware. This is one of the reasons why they are far less popular in the USA than elsewhere in the world. US operators simply said "if you don't want us to mess around with the firmware then we won't sell your phones". The rest is, as they say, history.

Nokia does allow operators to do this now, just like other manufacturers such as Sony-Ericsson, Samsung, LG, Motorola and almost all others.

If an operator does want to customize the firmware, that's fine, but it is now the operator's responsibility to ensure that it is kept up to date. This is an area where operators are a little bit unreliable. Most end-users don't know how branding works or even that it exists, so they blame the tardiness of updates on Nokia when, in reality, the first update for the N96, for example, was released by Nokia within days of the phone being marketed, and it resolved many issues that people stuck with branded firmware are complaining about. That's right, Nokia released the update within days. That was more or less two months ago.

There have been a further two updates since then and they have transformed the N96 almost beyond recognition, but even the first update (to version 11.018) on its own was a major improvement over the original 10.065. If your operator hasn't pulled its finger out and given their messed-around-with version to Nokia for distribution via the NSU program or via FOTA, then Nokia can't be held responsible for that. What do you expect Nokia to do? Start distributing generic firmware if the operator waits too long to supply their updates? If they did that, they would find themselves on the receiving end of a nasty lawsuit and it would be the death of Nokia in countries such as the UK where 90% of handsets in use are sold (and branded) by network operators.

Not only do you get outdated firmware with network operators, but the firmware more often than not contains bugs introduced by the operators. There are countless cases in these forums of people with problems that are entirely down to the operator-branded versions of the firmware and that do not exist in the same version of the generic firmware. Nokia cannot be held responsible for that either.

In conclusion, I agree that the N96 may have been released a little prematurely. There were bugs in it that should not have been in a handset outside the testing laboratory. However, Nokia did do the necessary to correct the problems faster than I've ever seen a series of updates and bugfixes before (3 firmware updates in 2 months) because the phone needed them. Operators have not shown much interest in taking responsibility for their branding. Instead, and this is absolutely typical of most operators, they lie through their teeth and tell the end users that it's Nokia's fault. It isn't. The operators are 100% responsible for keeping their customers' branded firmware up to date and they're also 100% responsible for the bugs they introduce while branding the generic firmware.

The problems you've had with your N96 say more about your operator than they do about Nokia.

This said, even it you do go for another brand, you'll come up against the same problems. If the operator can't be bothered to deliver the goods with a Nokia handset, what reason should we have to believe that they will deliver the goods with a handset of another brand? Why would they accept responsibility publicly knowing that 99% of their users have no idea of the processes involved and will believe them if they try and pass themselves off as victims of the phone manufacturer not giving them the updates in a timely manner?

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

While I fully understand the reasoning for branding, you surely cannot blame a network operator for a poor product (including the firmware) from Nokia.

After all, what does 'branding' do? Allow the operator a fancy graphic on startup and perhaps a branded screensaver. Ok, and maybe a few network settings.

Surely then, this is still a failing on Nokia's part?

Why can't they create firmware that is still upgradeable for all other intents and purposes (basic OS, built-in applications specific to the phone)? Why do THOSE (essential) features require the approval of the network operator before they can be installed? It's just ridiculous.

That's like telling me that Microsoft Windows Update ought to be approved by my ISP in case it causes my modem/router to stop working. I'm afraid that argument is as wafer thin as my patience with Nokia.

I've been a software developer at all levels for 25+ years, and led huge teams of developers. This is a classic example of getting kids fresh out of college working on a major project, with very VERY poor user acceptance testing or quality control.

Hard-core, irrefutable evidence of that is that the menu of my N96 allows me to make changes to the setting of a Navi-Wheel, where no Navi-Wheel exists - it was pulled just before the phone went into production. I'm sorry, but that is totally inexcusable.

This phone simply was not tested prior to being shipped to customers.

The N96 represents the worse-case scenario in any poorly-managed development product. It's obvious there was great miscommunication between the hardware developers and the software developers (who no doubt developed the software on a virtualised N96/S60 platform), and those developers were most likely young, inexperienced programmers working on their first major project, who were no doubt pushed to the limit to reach an unreasonable deadline.

I'm afraid this product bears all the hallmarks that very situation.
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

10-Dec-2008 11:35 AM
iannicholson wrote:
While I fully understand the reasoning for branding, you surely cannot blame a network operator for a poor product (including the firmware) from Nokia.

After all, what does 'branding' do? Allow the operator a fancy graphic on startup and perhaps a branded screensaver. Ok, and maybe a few network settings.

I agree that operators can't be blamed for the initial software that was pretty poor. Updates that correct a large number of problems have, however, been available for all but the first few days of the phone's life. Why have operators not allowed them? They're there and users want them, but it's operators that are stalling the update process here.

Please use plain text.
Sage

The operators are stalling the process because Nokia is allowing them too!

If Nokia had a half-decent OS and upgrade process, it shouldn't matter WHAT 'features' an operator might add to the phone.

This is a non-argument. Like I said, it's like saying that unless an ISP 'approves' a Windows Update, then I cannot receive it?!

Nokia seriously need to pull their finger out!

It's THEIR product and THEIR firmware. Why are they even getting the operators involved? It's never happened before.
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Sage
ant_coe_

Once again i state that it is the operator's (i may refer to this as the network as my mind wandered) fault for not releasing firmwares within a reasonable period of time.

This is what i expect that the operator branded firmwares require to publish.

First off:
The software banding allows netowrks to develop their customised applications (such as three video mobile's mobile mail app) and their preferred settings (three disallow the changing of network from duel mode), not forgetting customised access points, settings and start-up logos that you want to remove.

Lets make this clear, operators have to spend time (and therefore money) in getting these customisations applied, they find the time to do this before the handset is released.

Okay, so nokia want to release an update, what happens now?

Well the nokia give the appropriate netowork the generic code again, that they have to spend time in getting it customised again, and it will happen AGAIN every time nokia release an update AGAIN.

So in the opperator's eyes, waiting/holding out for a stable release is more viable than working very hard and wasting time on keeping on top of bug fixes and stuff.

This explanation should make clear that the operator is at fault for being relativity laxed compared to the generic software releases, but if it where you doing the setting up, testing and re-deployment of the software you would get bored of doing it again a new release is made available.

As a result i understand why the networks appear to be holding out, so wait for the firmware to settle. But hang on? its ment to be a stable release! its brand new, naught nokia with its childish software developers should NOT use the paying public to effectively BETA and BUG test their handsets, and that is quite inappropriate for the 'leading' mobile handset manufacturer.

But once again, nokia can (help) solve this issue: here are some ideas that are more than capable for the current technology out there:

Example one:
Nokia releases firmware, and operator patches the current firmware with the changes that where previously applied (assuming that the first set of changes the operator made worked correctly). This would allow networks to effortlessly keep on top of firmware updates, come on symbian series 60 should be relativity universal.

Example two:
Limit what software developers can edit and include,
Im assuming no network is making drastic changes to the software, so why is there not a simple way of getting the changes integrated with a simple script of some sort.

Basically im trying to say (im no programmer here) why cant they just include the files they want to be incuded as nokia should understand that they are after the same end result.e.g install this, theme that - but hang on, its the network's decision to change the firmware, why should nokia have to do with it. (from their eyes)

At the end of the day, you the consumer has purchased a CONTRACT with the handset of your choosing, and it is therefore in the networks best interest to keep you latched to that contract if the handset is not up to par.

If the handset is not deemed reliable due to concurrent restarts, then fair play, moan till you run out of air, but if your niggering about a navi wheel that has been removed on the last minute that you prayed to see due to a video or two, then reality should hit you heavily over your shoulders - there is more to the phone than a spinning dial. (that was just an example)

Once again, i am in no way saying that either nokia nor the network are perfect, but in this scenario where nokia are doing their best to keep current n96 holders happy by releasing a swarm of updates, it should be in the networks best interest to keep you happy by passing on the lovely extra reliance, and if they are unable to do this, then...

its like that nationwide (uk bank advert) where once you are in the contract, you are glorified with the new handset but when you demand changes or help, its too late as you are in the 'keep net' - referring to no get out clauses - the network have you and there is nothing you can do that will make them do what you want

To drive the point home further, if your network aint pleasing you (due to no updates), you need to rethink where you stand as that network is not going to be giving the best customer experience (which is what YOU have paid for and are keep on paying for).

In the uk there is a law or something (ive seen it on watchdog) where if the service is not as expected, you can practically guarantee a replacement (of your choosing) or refund within a reasonable period of time - for instance a broken laptop that has just come back from the repair shop and you dont want it any more as it is just going to break again.

Summary:
Network's fault, but partly nokia's for not sorting it out in the first place.
Tony
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

10-Dec-2008 12:48 PM
iannicholson wrote:
The operators are stalling the process because Nokia is allowing them too!

If Nokia had a half-decent OS and upgrade process, it shouldn't matter WHAT 'features' an operator might add to the phone.

This is a non-argument. Like I said, it's like saying that unless an ISP 'approves' a Windows Update, then I cannot receive it?!

Nokia seriously need to pull their finger out!

It's THEIR product and THEIR firmware. Why are they even getting the operators involved? It's never happened before.

How can Nokia force networks to approve the updates? They can only do so if there are sanctions they can apply in the event of a failure to comply. What sanctions can Nokia use against the networks who, incidentally, happen to be Nokia's largest customers? If Nokia tries anything, the networks will jump ship in the blink of an eye.

Nokia does have a better than half-decent OS and upgrade process. It's the networks not giving Nokia anything to distribute, not Nokia failing to distribute what they're (not) given.

Once the operators have modified the firmware it is THEIR responsibility to get it out the door.

Your analogy is flawed. This isn't your ISP blocking updates, it's the manufacturer of your computer hardware. We've already seen exactly the same thing with Sky-branded Netgear wireless routers. Some phones have difficulty connecting to them when they can connect OK to unbranded Netgear wireless routers. In this case, Sky was not releasing an update (already produced by Netgear) that solved the problem, so people had to debrand the router (thus invalidating the warranty) in order to be able to get the latest firmware and solve the problem.

The problem was solved by the manufacturer, updates were readily available but not to users of Sky broadband branded routers.

The same applies here. Most of the problems were resolved within days of the phone going on the market, the infrastructure was there for people to get the update and fix their phones, but networks were stalling the process. Why? Because firmware updates are extemely low priority to mobile network operators. They're not in the least interested in people updating their phones, they want people to get new phones and take out or renew contracts. Their aim is to attract new customers, and those they've already harpooned are no longer a concern.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Tony,

My problem with Nokia now is on several points.

1) I've had no - ZERO - response from Nokia Australia after lodging my list of complaints with this phone - despite the fact I got a confirmatory email on the 25th November telling me i could expect one in 48 hours. I got nothing. Zip. Nada.

2) This ridiculous policy of having the network operator approve software updates. This is just plain stupid. Sure I understand 'branding', but why should that affect my being able to get an update operating system for my phone that at least allows it to function without being slow, hanging, or rebooting several times per day?! My ISP doesn't need to approve my Windows Updates, what's the difference here? What's the point of having the Nokia Software Updater if I STILL need to take my phone into a Nokia Service Centre for two days?

3) I have now called Nokia 'Customer Service' in Australia twice now and registered my complaints with this phone. What REALLY gets up my nose is the fact that they listen, apparently make notes, tell me how much they appreciate the feedback, assure me that someone will get back to me. And then I get NOTHING! Furthermore, they contradict themselves. On one hand, they invite me to take the phone in to get it updated to version 11.xxx (which Optus has NOT yet approved, obviously, because I cannot do it via NSU), but when I ask "Why can't I have version 12", they say "Because Optus have not approved it!!". Therefore, when I find bugs in 11.x, I'll no doubt have to surrender the phone AGAIN for them to update it to 12!

All of this could be avoided if they just scrapped this 'operator approval' nonsense and gave me the update I need over the internet!

BTW. I had an email from someone at Nokia saying my posts were unwarranted and abusive. If anyone here finds my comments abusive, please do go and have a nice lie down somewhere quite - I haven't got started yet!

Interesting they write and accuse me of being abusive, rather than just give me the regular, customer response I feel IS WARRANTED for someone that paid $1300 for one of their products...
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

I hear that you are frustrated, you had/are having a bad experience with your phone, again this is not the forum that will resolve any of the issues listed, plus in the posts above you said that you were bailing on the Nokia ship and moving on to better and bigger things, so my question to you Sir is, why are you still here if you have abandoned this great ship after as you stated nearly 20( i might be incorrect on the years) years of having Nokia products.
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, get this...

According to Optus, I cannot now exchange the phone for another brand, I am stuck with it. So until I get the CUSTOMER SERVICE I demand from Nokia, I will continue to be a bug-bear until these problems are resolved.

All that Optus will do is exchange the handset for another N96, and another if necessary. I'm quite happy to do that if it creates maximum inconvenience for all until I get one that works as it should (as the ad said that I responded to by paying $1300).

But this WILL be my last Nokia phone. Until then, I expect the full rights as a customer that I have paid for.
Ian Nicholson
Poor Sod/N96 Owner
Please use plain text.