Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 Firmware update v2 bricked phone

Contributor
Accepted Solution

N97 Firmware update v2 bricked phone

I own an unlocked N97 in the UK, and after waiting discovered that the v2 firmware has finally been released!

So, I backed up my phone, installed the firmware update (which completed successfully) and the phone rebooted itself.

It booted fine, and then the annoying email wizard popped up and the 'phone stopped responding.  I left it for 15 or so minutes to see whether it would start responding to unlocking etc and it didn't.  I tried switching it off using the power button and, as I expected, it didn't even register that I'd pressed the button.  After a couple of minutes of messing around with it I removed and replaced the battery and switched it back on... now it just sits on the white screen with the blue Nokia logo, no sounds, nothing.

I have tried leaving it to see if it finishes the boot process (after half an hour it's still sitting there...), I have tried taking the battery out for 10 minutes before trying to turn it back on and the same thing happens.

Anyone got any ideas, or is this going to require yet another replacement handset? (given that this is now the second N97 I'm on...)

Out of the two N97 owners in this house, we've now had 5 N97s between us, I can't say I'm impressed.

Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

Re: N97 Firmware update v2 bricked phone

Hard reset the phone using the keys and you should be fine.

Turn your phone off AND simultaneously press these four buttons circled in red.

Caps Button

Space bar

Backspace button

On button  

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Contributor

That seems to have done the trick, thank you very much!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
M114

Great post bricked mine doing update and thought it would have had to go back to nokia for repair till i saw this thanks again :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wilbo

omg you are a genius, thank you so much!

That saved me from so much trouble in work - and it kept all my contacts too! 

Please use plain text.