Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 Interface for left handed people

Contributor

N97 Interface for left handed people

Hello,

A small request/ concern but would be appreciated. - Is it possible to reconfigure the N97 touch screen interface for lefties? Scrolling down a page whilst trying to read or do other things is a minor irritation (albeit bearable).

If its not currently possible I recon this is something Nokia should look into for future updates given their generally practical phone designs. Its prompted me to use my right hand a bit more naturally for this design..

Anyone with any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: N97 Interface for left handed people

I am a lefty as well and what I have found is the it is easier for me to reconfigure my brain to adapt to the right handed world that it is for me to wait on the world to reconfigure the right handed devices ( take for example a mouse )
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

castaway wrote:
I am a lefty as well and what I have found is the it is easier for me to reconfigure my brain to adapt to the right handed world that it is for me to wait on the world to reconfigure the right handed devices ( take for example a mouse )

I thinkI remember hearing something about a "LEFT SCALE" of something like that, which basically measures how "left" you are. 

So in a scale of 1 to 10. I would consider myself a 3 o 4 left.  I only use my left hand to write, eat and a few other things.  But for everything else I use the right, like you said using the mouse, kicking a ball, playing bowling, catching a ball in baseball, etc.  I am better with my right than with my left. I know it sounds odd.

But my sister for example she is like a 9 left. She does everything with her left hand, bowling, mouse she tries with her right but finds it difficult and therefore for her is a lot harder to use her right side.

So for some lefthanded is a lot harder than for others. 

What I have noticed with the N97 is that if I pick the phone with the right hand iis fine to scroll up and down, but if I pick the phone with the left is annoying because you have the thumb in the middle of the screen whilst you scroll but is not such a big issue I guess I can live with that

N97 Black unlocked using the 3 Network (UK). Product Code 0586308. Firmware V20.0.019. Made In Finland.Custom version V20.019.235.10.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But. It's far easier to use the lock/unlock switch if you are left handed. You just flick it with your thumb, if you are right handed that's not going to be so easy!
Please use plain text.