Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 Mass Storage Problem (memory in use)

Registered Member

N97 Mass Storage Problem (memory in use)

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I'm having major problems with the 32GB of Mass Storage on my N97. In the file manager it shows as (memory in use) and when in USB Mass Storage mode, the mass storage is unavailable (Can't browse, format, etc)

I can do a hard-reset and it springs back to life, but is very prone to disappearing again. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should do to fix this?

Cheers! 

Message Edited by PhonicUK on 03-Oct-2009 10:07 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=159#

try this and see if it helps

also using ybrowser

remove

dmrg

cache folders from your c memory in system

they self replicate so no worries  

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ibanez_JS100

Hi there , I was just facing the same issue with my N97 , E:Mass Memoy in use issue !! , it happened right after I

hooked the USB cable to PC , when I was done & removed it I couldnt use the 32 GB memory & it said  " Memory in use " ... after searching for a fix & so on with no luck I hooked up the USB again & chose the E Mass memory option instead of the PC Suite option , it opened like a flash disk on my PC , clicked on properties as I remember & then Un-Hooked the USB Cable then everything was fine again !! I Have no explaination of what went on , hope this helps u .. I Told u what I remembered doing .. for me it was a USB - PC Connection ..

Good Luck

N97 .. Working or Not , it's still a *bleeing* Rip OFF .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Because when you connect your n97 via usb mass storage while n97 is on, you will loose some settings such as where to keep messages. If you set it for mass storage, after you connected it via mass storage it will change settings to keep messages on C memory. Very annoying. There is a better solution to that. Turn of your n97 and connect it using usb cable to the pc whilst it is switched off, it will enable your phone as a mass storage without loosing any settings and you don't have to worry about this pop up error that your memory is in use.
ex N97 20.0.019 owner

Happy iPhone owner with ALL features actually working :]
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

am using n95 8gb...my problem is i cant access mass memory(8GB) which means i cant

download as many files as i want to or transfer files to or 4rm the pc to my phone coz it says "mass memory not available" pls help

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ibanez_JS100

I Think I figured out the issue, I connected my N97 via USB & chose E:Mass Memory instead of PC Suite , the E Memory Vanished from the phone & it said " Memory In use " .. so if u remove the phone from USB it will stay like that , you must choose the PC Suite USB option again & it will go back to normal ...  :/ silly issue & with all the technology

installed in the N97 they missed this one !!!! 

hope a software update would fix this issue coz its kinda stupid :/

Peace

N97 .. Working or Not , it's still a *bleeing* Rip OFF .
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

The last few days I've been getting the low memory usage error messages and so I went to File Manager to try and delete some stuff and move some over to E Mass Storage. Anyhow, I got the "Memory in Use" I tried the advise above but to no avail.

Even worse when I plug it onto my PC on Mass Storage Mode it brings up two drives; "F" and "G" but when I select Format it tells me the drives aren't connected despite it popping up! Then when I check properties it says "0 bytes" used and "0 bytes" available!

I then connect via PC Suite Mode and when I check Phone Properties on both Ovi Suite and "My Computer" it only shows my C Phone Memory. I tried to do a Backup on the phone and it only offers the Memory card despite one not being inserted.

Does this indicate my hard drive has failed?

Looking forward to any advise.

PS:- I've done hard reset and also safe removal as per advise above and also deleted all apps to no avail. I don't understand how a memory cannot be in use and at the same be non-existent.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
satandevilz

I too have the same Problem on my n97

My Phone suddenly lost all the data on my E Mass Memory.

I been Finding Ways to fix it

I tried to hard format the phone wif the *#7 method

and the Holding on the space backspace and shift buttons

it did reset the phone but my mass memory still shows as memory in use

I tried using the usb method but i cannot seem to format it as the com is unable to format it

Pls do help me find a way to solve the problem

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
florincd

someone resolve the problem witm mass memory in use?

Please use plain text.
Sage
ak3_ltw

hi,

when you connect to pc suing USB, it detects as external device and stops all settings which actually stored in C. Only Nokia can solve this problem. (like other low end phone does, like 3110C even after connecting to PC it doesn't change any settings).

after using the phone in USB connection (if you are using windows) click on safe removal of external device which is in user tray at right bottom of window, and safely remove your phone.

Hope it does work.

Regards

Akshara Kumar

N97 Black India
Attending Nokia Discussion has become new hobby, Thanks to Nokia... for having so many bugs
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I think you get this messege because you instaled an aplication on mass storage memory that it allways run. if you delete or stop that  aplication then you will not recive that message again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arkidsad2009

Hello, try rhis, i think this will solve your problem.

Before connecting the phone in USB mass storage mode, go to message settings & change to phone memory, then connect to pc. If still it shows memory in use then restart the phone, keeping message to phone memory. After restart connect again. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ramzes

I too have the same Problem on my n97.

From Hungary.

Please use plain text.