Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 Problem - Bluetooth remote control profile...

N97 Problem - Bluetooth remote control profile (AVRCP) not working with car audio system

I was disappointed to find that my new N97 does not permit remote control from the console of my car audio system. This feature previously worked excellently with my older N95 and allowed me to play music tracks on my phone - skip, ffwd, reverse, play, pause etc without touching the phone at all.

At present my new N97 pairs with the car audio system and audio is played through it, however the player must be controlled from the phone, for skiping or seeking track, this is not possible whilst driving and therefore quite inconvienent.

I have a JVC KD-AVX44 Car Audio system.

Has anyone has had success (or simular failure) utilising this feature with the N97? It would be appreciated if this problem could be resolved. As I have encountered no information on this problem after searching on Google, I have not yet been able to rule out if it is the Audio system at fault. Therefore I would also like to know wether anyone has managed to get the AVRCP profile (remote control) working with other systems from this phone?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: N97 Problem - Bluetooth remote control profile (AVRCP) not working with car audio system

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I also have this problem. I have the JVC KD-BT22. With my N95 8GB and a SE phone works fine, but the N97 wont change track, play or pause.

I think this profile has been left out. I can't find a list of N97 Bluetooth profiles anywhere.

Hope they can fix this as I want it to replace my iPod Touch as my music source in my car.

Keiran.

Message Edited by keiranm2000 on 28-Jul-2009 08:22 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: N97 Problem - Bluetooth remote control profile (AVRCP) not working with car audio system

I am having the same problem with the JVC KD-AVX44 going from the N95 to the N97. I can play music but not control it. I can answer calls though which is something. I have emailed JVC Australia to see if a firmware update will occur to include the N97 Bluetooth compatibility however the response was that it was unlikely and advise to contact Nokia if the problem could be resolved with their device.

So now I'm looking if there is any way to tweak the N97 AVRCP to behave like the N95 by using some sort of app. I imagine this will be very difficult because nowhere have I read of even attempting to do this.

brightquark, keep us informed on any developments in your discoveries as I shall within this thread

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Just read the manual for the N97 and it says;

This device is compliant with Bluetooth Specification

2.0 + EDR supporting the following profiles: Dial-Up

Networking (DUN), Object Push Profile (OPP), File

Transfer Profile (FTP), Hands Free Profile (HFP), Headset

Profile (HSP), Basic Imaging Profile (BIP), Remote SIM

Access Profile (SimAP), Device Identification Profile

(DI), Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP), Generic Audio/

Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP), Audio/Video

Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), Advanced Audio

Distribution Profile (A2DP). To ensure interoperability

between other devices supporting Bluetooth

technology, use Nokia approved accessories for this

model. Check with the manufacturers of other devices

to determine their compatibility with this device.

So the phone does support it, maybe they forgot to turn it on, or JVC need to update their firmware.

Weird though that it worked fine with the N95 8GB, I presume all Bluetooth profiles are the same in other handsets?

Keiran.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My N97 works perfectly with my BH-503 headphones, so I don't think the AVRCP is not "turned on" I just think the profile must act differently. I've read elsewhere of people having problems with non-Nokia bluetooth products when they have changed from a previously working Nokia phone(eg N95) to the N97.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am having a similar issue.  I used to have an E75 and it was able to sync with my Audi's audio system.  I could read my phonebook, missed called and so on.  Now with the new N97 I cannot.  It is not making much sense since the E75 came out several month before the N97 and they have very similar systems.  When speaking with Nokia Customer service he explained to me that the E75 had object push protocol and the N97 does not.  I am not sure if this is similar or the same as object push profile but I would also like some help with this issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nerds2you

I have a Pioneer FH-P800BT in my car and It works perfectly with the N97, even better than with my N95.  I can fully control the music player via bluetooth and even the phone book transfers flawlessly.  I could not use auto connect with the N95 because the BT audio had to be connected before the HF phone or it would just plain drop the BT connection, the N97 does not do this.

The only flaw I am finding is that I can no longer change tracks while using OVI Maps 3.01, but it did work with the Maps beta.  I only with I could see the track and artist on the screen of my 800BT via Bluetooth but I can do it if I hook it up to the USB port (and it charges the phone too!!)

I am not having the same luck connecting to a TOIMTOM, the phone works but the contacts won't transfer, so I transferred all my contacts to my BlackBerry 8830, used that to transfer contacts to my TOMTOM and voila, I had all my contacts in TOMTOM.

Claudio Cividino
Nerds 2 You
http://www.nerds2you.ca
Please use plain text.

I completed the v12 firmware update and have since tried the phone again with my Car Audio system. Unfortunately I am still not having any luck with this. I hope V20 provides support for this feature, I am considering returning this phone otherwise.

Please use plain text.

Same phone, firmware, stereo and same problem!

Just registering that it's an issue really, I'll update this if I have any luck with it.

Pleased I didn't get rid of the N95 yet though, still works perfectly as ever.

FossWeb.net Ltd
Please use plain text.
Advisor

N97 AVRCP was working fine with my Plantronics Voyager 855 with v12 firmware. "Upgraded" to v20 and now it doesn't work! I'm **bleep**!
Please use plain text.

I have now upgraded the phone to the latest V20 firmware and have some interesting results. Whilst still far from perfect remote control seems to now work with the KD-AVX44 car stereo. Most surprisingly I can now also get the song name which is currently playing on the car display which is a bonus, something the N95 never did. It did however lose connection on initialisation and sometimes during a track skip but at least developments are moving in the right direction.

Reliability is still poor, and overall (all the other problems I'm still having with this phone - frequent lockups etc) I am ready to go back to my N95

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@brightquark: I share your feelings; however, I have booted up my trusty ol N95 to transfer over some missing data and it struck me how tiny the screen is and how much I miss the N97's keyboard. Honestly, I could never go back. The N97 for all it's flaws is pretty awesome :-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

I've also upgrade my N97 to v20. I've now got the song information and track time coming up but the bluetooth connection is extremely unstable. I can now skip and pause the music however about 90% of the time this will cause the bluetooth connection to fail. This also occurs just when one track finishes and a new one begins.

I believe it must have to do with bluetooth having to get the new song information from the phone and this must muck up (or overload?) the connection.

As brightquark has said, developments are in the correct direction however the new instability makes it not worth using. It terms of listening to music, it was better before the upgrade. At least the music was seemless.

Keeping working on it Nokia. Many people are looking forward to the solution.

Message Edited by karmaoverdogma on 05-Nov-2009 04:12 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This was a very horrible discovery to me, i just installed the KD-AVX44, a few days ago and now i find out that i can't use the Bluetooth audio, i can't even get the N97 to pair with the deck i just get a connection error every time i try.  But my girlfriends iPhone connected right away and works perfectly with the deck. 

I really have to ask Nokia, what are you doing.  Something like this should not be an issue espically at the cost of the N97.  

Don't make me lose faith in you Nokia fix this issue and do it quick.  With the number of issues this phone has had I'am starting to get very annoyed with the quality of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Krzysiek333

Hallo,

As Nokia said that You should use only original products!!!

So i've bought CK-600 and try to use it with N97.

Phone function is working ok, but music player.....

In start display shows me that first phone and second music player is connected. But when i switch to music all functions ( play, skip, stop ) doesn't work!

So i think it is A2DP problem, and i hope that Nokia worker is going to tell me what is going on in this **bleep** Nokia. Flagged phone and car kit and......?

Are You gonna to fix it? when new software is going to go?

Please use plain text.

Hey there all, anyone sorted this yet?

I've upgraded to firmware 21.0.045 on my N97 (PID 0587991).

This has changed the problem from irregular, to constant.

The handsfree and bluetooth music players are both unusable now.

It just drops both connections whenever you try to do something. Press the answer button on the phone, skip tracks, pause track, hang up. All these actions will cause the connection to be dropped.

FossWeb.net Ltd
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I realize this topic is a bit dated, but thought I'd contribute with my own experience using the N97 with a variety of different aftermarket car stereo receivers.

First, it should be noted that there is really no single deck that will work flawlessly with this PoS.  Nokia's Bluetooth implementation was already lacking in other N-series devices (N95/N96/N85…), but the N97 is by all accounts the most troublesome device also in this regard.

Maybe the most annoying aspect is that music playback skips every now and then, no matter which unit you have.  This seems to particularly be the case when the phone is busy redrawing screens (e.g. the main screen, when you exit an application), or otherwise under heavy load.  In all fairness, though, I had similar issues with both the N95, N96, and to a lesser extent, the N85.

Another annoying factor is that even for those units where AVRCP controls generally work, the N97 is not always responsive to them.  For instance, if you have not explicitly started the Music Player on the phone, the "Play" button on your car stereo will not work.  (And as we know, getting the N97 music player up into the "Now Playing" screen in order to resume your last playlist is quite cumbersome in itself).   Also it generally seems to be less responsive when the Music Player application is not in the foreground.

That said, I have found a couple of brands/models that work reasonably well with this beast: The Sony CDX-BT2x00 series and newer JVCs (like the KD-A805, which I have finally settled on myself).

Here is a breakdown of my experience with different brands/models, in my own chronological order:

• Various Kenwood units with the KCA-BT200 Bluetooth adapter.   I can't remember exactly  what worked and what did not with the N97 - I do remember that either handsfree or audio did, but not the other.   The main issue I had with this unit, even with my previous Nokia handsets, is that there was a delay from when Bluetooth Audio were initiated from the phone until it was heard over the speakers. This may seem like a nitpick, but I also use my phone as my GPS/navigation system - and the result was that instructions like "In 400 yards, turn left" would become "n left". No dice.

• Pioneer DEH-P7000BT (P700BT in some markets).  This is an older model which had worked well with my previous N95 and N85 units (after applying their Nokia specific patch).  This would not work very well at all with the N97 prior to v2.0 firmware - basically I'd get handsfree, but no stereo audio.  With newer N97 firmware, it still auto-connects only in HFP/HFP mode (handsfree), but if you then start playback directly from your N97 handset, it picks up A2DP/AVRCP as well within a couple of seconds.  Connecting/disconnecting from this unit is generally quite buggy though.

This unit has a feature where it automatically starts playback (via AVRCP) when switching to the Bluetooth Audio input (e.g. when powering on), and pauses when switching away or powering off.   This works pretty well with my other phone, a Sony Ericsson C905a - but is lost on the N97, since AVRCP is not detected automatically. On the bright side, unlike the N95/N85, the N97 itself pauses playback when disconnected - so songs won't keep blaring through the speakers when you power off the car.

Unfortunately, the N97 volume controls remain active with this unit - i.e. the music streaming it behaves as a "headphone", rather than "line out".

The "Message Reader" application does not work when the stereo's input channel is set to "Bluetooth Audio" - you must manually switch to the "Bluetooth Phone" input in order to listen to messages.

I no longer use this deck, but still have it lying around.  I recently tried it with my N97, now on FW 2.1, and encountered a very strange new issue.  If I initiate a call from my phone, as opposed to from the receiver, it defaults to using the phone speakers rather than Bluetooth HSP!  It can be toggled in the phone UI though.  I had no such issue with previous firmware versions, or with other car stereos.

Note: the firmware upgrade I linked to is needed, and you must choose "Nokia-A" rather than "Nokia" as the phone type.

• Pioneer DEH-P6100BT (or P610BT).  This is a slightly newer unit that I got for my wife's car.  It picked up the previous Nokia's just fine without any issues whatsoever - but again, with the N97, it auto-detects only HSP/HFP support upon startup.   If you start playback from the phone, it picks up stereo audio (A2DP) support right away - quicker than the DEH-P7000BT - but AVRCP support remains disabled.   To enable AVRCP (e.g. skip forward/backward via your steering wheel controls), you must first manually go into the unit's menu system - almost as user-unfriendly as the N97's - and enable AVRCP support each and every time you power on the system!

Sound output acts as "line out", in other words the phone's volume controls remain ineffective (until you go all the way down, in which case it mutes the sound).

The message reader works well with this unit in "Bluetooth Audio" mode as well as "Bluetooth Phone".

In sum, if you don't care about AVRCP controls (e.g. using your steering wheel controls to skip/repeat), but rather use the phone itself, this is a very decent choice. As a handsfree unit, it is top notch - handsfree pickup is excellent with the microphone mounted right behind my rearview mirror.

• Sony CDX-BT2700.  Functionally, it worked well with the N97.  Music playback, message reading, voice control all "worked".  However, I ended up returning this due to poor overall sound quality (both output and handsfree pickup -- the microphone is embedded in the deck itself)..

• Clarion CZ509.  I tried pairing this with my N97 in a local store.  The controls are much more difficult than they appear - I had to download the user manual on my phone right there in the store in order to figure out just how to pair it!   It would work in "Bluetooth Audio" mode (for music playback), but not in handsfree (HSP/HFP).  Plonk!

• Eclipse CD5030.  I really wanted this unit to work.  It has very good sound, good controls, and a nice little extra for Honda/Toyota owners: Built-in support for the steering wheel controls without the use of a 3rd party adapter.

However, no go.  In this case I'd get HSP/HFP support (handsfree), but to A2DP/AVRCP (music playback, control).   Back it went.

• JVC KD-A805.  I first tried this in store, and was ecstatic to find that it, in fact, worked very well with the N97!  All of HSP/HFP/A2DP/AVRCP were automatically detected when powering on/pairing, the button layout on the deck was almost as simple and well done as most factory-installed decks (e.g. pushing the main button would start playback), etc.  I ended up purchasing it from Crutchfield, and it is the one I am still using!

The couple of issues I have with it is that the Message Reader application does not work well (I have to select Voice Dial from the unit to switch to HSP input, then quickly select "Listen" on my phone -- kindof defeats the purpose really), and that similarly, applications such as Vlingo do not work, as they won't sense the microphone input from the unit while in Bluetooth Audio/Radio/etc modes.   However, Google Maps and Google Search both pick up voice input -- turns out these fall back to using the phone microphone in this case.

Also, the volume rocker on the N97 does affect playback volume through the stereo.  Not the way I'd like it.

Moreover, this unit more than any of the others clearly illustrate to me just how lacking the Bluetooth stack on the N97 is.  As I mentioned, my other phone is a Sony Ericsson C905a.   With this phone, music playback is flawless (no skips or hiccups, no matter how busy the phone is otherwise).  AVRCP controls work perfectly, whether or not the Music Player is already running.  Sound volume is unaffected by the volume controls on the phone (the phone says "Output device does not support volume controls" when I try).  However, the kicker is this:  With the C905, I see the names of all music tracks/podcasts/audiobooks/etc on the display of the deck itself as I play them!

Add to this some of the other advantages the SE platform has in terms of media playback: Podcasts can be set to automatically download over the air at set intervals - without any particular "Podcasting" application needing to run first; Audiobooks in unencrypted ".m4b" format are natively supported in the media player; After phone shutdown/restart, music still resumes from the point where it last was left off; etc etc.

Please use plain text.
davoodnkm

hi

i have problem  in connection  bluetooth of caraudio system  with nokia n97 mini for calling

please help mi

Please use plain text.