Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 Touch Screen Problems

Contributor
mouadm

Re: N97 Touch Screen Problems

hi ; to solve this problem you need to hard reset your phone

use this tutorial  here

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jensen777

I'm having the same problem.. i suspect it's mainly due to the temperature. either the touch screen or the connector does not function well in low temperature.. i have this problem when i leave my phone in a air-con room for too long. after taking it outdoors to normal temperature, the touch screen slowly return to normal. i hope this help.

my N97 mini is a good phone, but I'm having a lot of problems with it... Nokia is known for their faulty software and all.. but this time, its clearly a hardware related problem.. seems like Nokia have lost quality in their product.

Please use plain text.
jrff

Hi:

After many attemps to solve the touchscreen response problem (described previously), I decided to try the advice from someone else in this forum, regarding the changing of the plastic film cover protector to solve the touscreen problems. I replaced as one of my latest efforts to make the phose usable...and it works!

Hard to believe but now my phone is working 100%. Normal scrolling, smothness, response, etc.

It seems that the original plastic cover film suffers some kind of deterioration (use, temperature, etc) of its properties and affects the funcionability of the device. 

Based on this I can say -that in my case- was not a software, digitizer, internal conectors, lcd screen, or other type of hardware problem (considering the plastic cover not part of the hardware) that was causing the undesire effect.

I bought the plastic film for replacement of the original in internet (Mercado libre en México). It´s made of PET and was manufactured in Japan.

So I would suggets to those who have similar problem with the N97 to try this cheap recommendation aiming to bring your device back to normal operation again.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Sage
ak3_ltw

HI,

I am realizing now may be my touch screen problem too with the screen guard, the one which had come with phone lasted for 4 months, after that i bought a new one some China made non branded screen guard, i hope i have to change the cover every 4 months or so.

Regards

Akshara

N97 Black India
Attending Nokia Discussion has become new hobby, Thanks to Nokia... for having so many bugs
Please use plain text.
pcvianna

[ Edited ]

OK, I think I got it.

My phone was acting up the same way a few months ago. After many unsuccesful fixing methods I gave up on it and let it sit for a month. Then I decided to try again and the darn thing was working fine all on its own.

It worked OK for a week or so then I went to the desert, with temperatures up to 111F, and the screen problem started coming back again. First just the bottom keys became unresponsive...

I had read before about the touch layer becoming stuck, and it made a lot of sense because I could hear the screen numbers beeping for a long time when I used the dialer the first problem around. So I found this thread again and was about to perform the diagonal massage method when it came to me.

Why not twist the phone like if you were twisting somebody's hair, or neck? Gently of course. So I did it and the phone now works fine.

I still have to test a few more times to say for sure. But if the problem is really about the two layers getting stuck either by extreme temperatures of exessive pressure, then the twisting makes sense as a way to loosen them up.

Also if you are afraid of twisting your phone, think of it as if it was OPK's neck and the job becomes second nature. Just make sure you do it after a night of sleep so you don't twist the phone too hard while you think about the piece of junk that OPK sold us.

I'm calling it the 'OPK Neck Twist Method'. Hope it is not just a coincidence and that this method will allow me to put up with this phone a little longer until another GSM qwerty comes along. But not from Nokia!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
metalmarky

Just as @ Thorby said in a previous post, I too removed the non-Nokia touch screen protective cover off the phone when I got issues with the touch screen.  It did get rid of the problem immediately!  I was getting everything you have all talked about.

• Unresponsiveness
  • Inaccurate pointer placement
  • Lag

At first I suspected a hardware issue with the screen but so far (and I am touching wood right now) my phone has been fine.  Still get the 1 to 2 second lag sometimes before the touch screen works when coming out of lock, but then this is a Nokia!

I have seen people without touch screen protection and their screens are fine so I do not think I will bother anymore.

So, a potential solution to your problem: remove the plastic screen protector if you have one!

Hey, what does that Kudos button do?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gorstium

Just to add a positive message to this thread... I wrote in November about my touch screen problems (somewhere on page 3 of this thread) and got really upset about the whole thing.

After not using the phone for a few weeks in spring, I finally discovered a "Nokia Premium Care Point" 10 min away from my work and decided to give it a try instead of sending my phone to somewhere via my provider who sold it to me.

What should I say - they called me after two hours, had just replaced the upper part with the display by a new one and it works like a charm since then.

So - bad idea by Nokia to sell a beta test as final product, but they repaired it without any problems.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zergio_duitama

Hello,

I just figured out with my Nokia N97. It is a moisture issue due to that small hole for the speaker (yes!, there is a small clearance). Through that small clearance, moisture is doing its job. The electronics gets isolated from the touch screen (external plastic case) and there you go, no sensitivity at all. With mine, I noticed it because when the day was dry and sunny, the screen worked with no problems, but when it was cold and humid, no response again.

I took it to the service, they clean it and change the touch screen (not the electronic panel but the case covering the electronics) and for 1 hour I am a happy user again, complete response of the screen no issues what so ever.

Price: 50 USD solution including labor (Sofia's price)

And you recover your phone. I hope this helps

Regards!

Sergio.

So, I hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kiaman

I had similar issue before. its now got to the point where none of the touch screen works unless i also hold another point of the screen (at the top near earpiece) . I am now waiting to have some some spare time so i can take the damn thing back and get it sent off for repair . Hopefully yours wont go the same way but thats my expierience .
long time Nokia fan, use Nokia since 2001, Nokia 8890
a cool tiny phone,
I miss it....
And also, I am a good program, you can free try this tool:MKV converter, with it, you can convert mkv to avi as you like.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Occasionally I will have some problems with my touchscreen becoming non responsive, I believe its not hardware but a software issue (anybody surprised?)

Anyways it always happens when I am sending a SMS message, sometimes it happens when I am selecting the people to send it to, the touch screen will freeze and I can't click on anything or use the physical keypad, if I hit the end (red) button it will exit the frozen SMS application, sometimes I can go back in and it will work, but usually everything will be grayed out and the app will be unresponsive and I have to restart the phone

Anybody encounter this issue?

Please use plain text.
frozenP

Hi all,

I had the same problem as most of you describe here...scrolling not work, touch screen acting as if has been pressed etc...

Someone mentioned that the problem could potentially be coming from having the phone in your pocket and over a period of time the display screen has deformed due to the constent pressure on it whilst the phone is in one's jeans pocket. I ordered a new front face for my N97, changed it (which is failry easy to do) and hey presto, now everything works fine again. The only issue I'm still having is the memory full error message, but that's for antoher thread (I've tried most of the tricks listed over the net but still no success).....see ya's!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JeanDamienFr

[ Edited ]

Facing the same issue, soft/hard resets doing nothing good, winter and humidity, I putted the n97 mini on front of a home made climate (zibro) and now it works well :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.