Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 White Screen of Death

Counsellor

N97 White Screen of Death

The phone is refusing to start and only the white screen of death saying Nokia comes up. I reset it with the key board using the Shift + Space bar + Backspace + Power key. Twice now it has come back but as soon as I restart it, screen goes funny and it fails to restart with the white screen. I think Nokia service is the next port of call unless someone has an option. 
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

do you have a memory card inserted? take the memory card out if you have it and also boot up your phone without a sim card, turn it off, turn it back on with inserted sim card this time it will ask you if you want to continue in the offline mode, sa y no and it should boot up ok. do you have v12 on your phone or earlier firmware?
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, I have all the upgrades installed on the phone; just removed memory card, SIM. You can tell if is going to boot as it gives you the vibration. All I'm getting now is the white screen of death.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

so if you boot it up without memory card and without sim it does not actually bootup is that correct? if that is the case then you know what to do, nokia care is your next stop unfortunately. if possible after the 'three finger' salute that you have tried already if the phone is working, the only other thing i can suggest is try reinstalling firmware and see if this helps any. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've got a reboot again but it will fail as soon as I turn the phone off and I don't want to reload everything until I know what the problem is. It is preparing memory card and their is not memory card in it. I'm going to try reloading firmware v12 again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same problem!!! I hate n97
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

By far the WORST phone I've ever bought. Nokia has done a good job to earn themselves free brownie points!!! Wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone. Go for the iphone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi All,

For some very strange reason, after upgrading to the new V20 firmware, sometimes when I power off the phone and power it on again - I get the famous white screen with the Nokia logo. The phone is stuck at this screen until I remove the battery. Of course I tried to do a Hard Reset (did it 3 times!!!)

I suspect that one of the widgets that requires Internet connection is causing this, but the only widget I use that requires such a connection is AccuWeather.

Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing such a bug and if you know what to do to fix it.

Thanks. 
Please use plain text.

Hi, try this method, this one worked for me, and made the WSOD problem slightly more tolerable:
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php?p=2965100&posted=1

Seriously, Nokia really have to sort out this WSOD problem. All other problems I can still tolerate, but this one I absolutely cannot. All the hard-resetting made my blood boil.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

The n97 is completly unuseable i have to do the hard reset at least every couple of days,

After hard resetting th ephone will take a while to boot it will appear it's still stuck at the nokia screen but it isn't, make sure the sim card and memory card aren't insurted, and when the phone does power on, go to the file manager then E drive, and re format it.

Message Edited by number_one on 13-Jan-2010 07:04 PM
Nokia N8 (dark grey),
PR2.0
install server hack , Mod pack V5.00.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

thanks...

also a similiar one from  rdcinhou also works for me....

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=188352#M188352
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
happyal1970

I found a quick work around to the dreaded WSOD on the N97 without having to use a power supply.

1. Remove the battery from the N97

2. Put battery back into the N97.

3. Switch the N97 on.

4. Remove the batttery again as soon as the screen turns white.

5. Put the battery battery back in.

6. Switch back on - wait for a minute or two and hey presto it will come back to life!

Stoopid phone?!! ;0)

Please use plain text.